We test ten sets of irons in the market designed to help you get better

Share this Article

NEW! 10 OF THE BEST: GAME IMPROVEMENT IRONS 2014

Brand: Mizuno
Game improvement iron: JPX-825
RRP: £499 Best price: £429
Loft: 28-degree Lie: 61-degree Length: 37.25” Swing Weight: D1-D3
Shaft: True Temper Dynalite Gold XP Grip: Mizuno M-31 58 Round

Summary: The new Mizuno JPX-825 is the longest, straightest and most forgiving iron the brand has ever created. Suited for the mid-to-high capper, the 825 delivers exceptional ball speed and explosive distance as the face has been created with a responsive hot face utilising MAX COR technology.

Appearance:
The classy two-toned nickel chrome design is elegant and durable and the multi-material electroform black and blue badge delivers rather aggressive styling. The design of the 825 is an improvement on the 800s and really stands out. The thick top-line is a matter of taste. Some will say it feels a little chunky while others will appreciate it. 8.5

Feel: If you enjoy the feel of weight behind the ball, this iron will fit the bill. This iron offers hot distance, superb workability and tremendous forgiveness with its deep CNC milled pocket cavity featuring 17g of extreme toe-heel weighting. The increased sweet spot – 15% larger than the 800s – feels great and aids confidence. Harmonic Impact Technology inside the iron enhanced feedback at impact and when you catch the ball flush, the strike sounds incredible - even with a range ball. As they keep telling us, nothing feels like a Mizuno. 9.5

Performance: Maximum forgiveness is exactly what you get with the new 825. The hot metal face no doubt contributes to this as the ball flew hot off the face even when you’re not flushing it. Beware of the flyer when playing from the rough, however, as this ball comes out powerfully from a bare lie. By no means the highest launching iron in the test, but saying that, the ball wasn’t exactly landing with hot feet. 9

Verdict

If you currently own a set of 800s, we don’t believe you’re necessarily going to get much more yardage by upgrading to the 825s, yet if you crave a little more fire off the face and some nicer styling from Mizuno then these will be of major consideration this season. 27

Click here for our review of the brand new Mizuno JPX-EZ and JPX-EZ Forged irons.

Click here to continue reading...

Share this Article

Previous page
Ten of the Best: Game improvement irons 2013 - Adams Idea Tech V4
Next page
Wilson Ci-11

Discuss this story

We'd love you to add a comment! Please take half a minute to register as a free member
Nice review, those cobra irons are damn ugly doesn't matter how good they perform I would never put a set in my bag.

Posted: 06/02/2013 at 11:34

Liking the prospect of seeing more of this type of thing.

Posted: 06/02/2013 at 11:40

Excellent article, way way better than the magazine iron tests, well done guys

Posted: 06/02/2013 at 11:43

+1. Well done, useful info guys. 

Posted: 06/02/2013 at 11:44

Question for the writer of the article - whay do you not show the top line of some of the clubs? If you're doing a comparison article surely it makes sense to show all the clubs from the same angles??

Posted: 06/02/2013 at 12:00

I agree with MW, I_D and Jimbow, really interesting article and hope there'll be lots more. Not jealous of their jobs at all....

Posted: 06/02/2013 at 13:12

Loved it, a proper aticle interesting and informative and the guys got to hit golf balls in work time... Wish there was a way back to 'latest posts' from the far end of the article..

Posted: 06/02/2013 at 14:42

AP

You mean it's not on your bookmarks bar, MTP?

Posted: 06/02/2013 at 15:50

Any plans for drivers or wedge reviews AP?

Posted: 06/02/2013 at 16:04

Any chance of answering my question Alex?

Posted: 06/02/2013 at 16:17

AP
Jimbow - The next piece planned is for players irons. Drivers, wedges, putters and balls will follow in the coming months.

Scoopa - Apologies, missed it. Thanks for your feedback and completely appreciate where you are coming from so the topline shots have now been added into the two or three pages where it was missing.

Posted: 06/02/2013 at 16:57

Interesting they say that the Ping has the highest loft in the test at 29°.  My Mizuno MX-900 6 iron loft is 30°.

The TM 6 iron loft of 26.5° is left than the loft on my 5 iron of 27°.

It does say a lot about how the manufacturers are tricking us with the numbers.

Posted: 06/02/2013 at 19:52

Nicely on plane at the back of your backswing there alex! Was that posed or were you in full flow? =)

Posted: 07/02/2013 at 01:32

Full flow, just impressive photography skills ;)

Posted: 07/02/2013 at 11:45

great article like this style of head to head review. Be nice to see a final table of specs too - ie - all lenghts lofts distance together

Posted: 07/02/2013 at 13:03

Thanks for the feedback; will look to put that together in the next club test.

Posted: 07/02/2013 at 18:38

AP
tom-333 wrote (see)
Nicely on plane at the back of your backswing there alex! Was that posed or were you in full flow? =)

Have to get at least a couple right, eh? Just pleased Andy snapped the shot at exactly the right moment.

Posted: 10/02/2013 at 19:13

Brilliant article guys! Exactly what I like to see when checking new toys out. Look forward to more of these.

Posted: 16/02/2013 at 06:58

Brilliant article and what I would like to see more of on the site. Whilst I don't always need new things I'm always tempted,but can never find decent, unbiased reviews anywhere.

I often watch Mark Crossfields videos on YouTube,but still get the feeling that he never wants to say the absolute truth about a club as he gets kick backs from suppliers.

I know GM has more tests planned in the future, but is there anywhere else that has plenty of reviews that are done objectively?

Posted: 16/02/2013 at 08:08

Finally pulled the trigger on the V4 hybrid & forged iron set. So far so good. the shaft is very very light indeed. I got it in a stiff though and i have to say its very accurate. Im not a high ball hitter so was loving the flight off the irons. Soft when struck well and quite forgiving too. Hybrids are very long and very forgiving (light as well)
that was just a range session though so will have to see now they fair out on the course today

Posted: 20/02/2013 at 13:35

See more comments...