Hylands Golf Academy - Lee Porter

1 to 20 of 38 messages
13/11/2010 at 12:52

I know weve plenty of folks from Essex lurking here on this forum so...

Have any of you employed the Custom Fitting services of Lee Porter at Hylands Golf Academy??

If so...I'd appreciate a bit of general feedback on how you found the experience....both stuff you liked and stuff you didnt like!!

13/11/2010 at 19:28

I've had a couple of visits to Lee and I must say he certainly knows his stuff, I have a mate who went to him for a Driver and after 2 hours on the range he just said I wouldnt bother changing unless its an asthetic reason cause you hit your own one as well as any of the ones in my demo bag, He didnt want a penny for his time or the balls that my mate hit either!

He also is Golfsmiths most highly regarded club maker and does KZG and a few other component makes.

Really good egg too!

13/11/2010 at 20:10
Cheers for that....considering paying him a visit to get fitted for a new set of Vegas. 
13/11/2010 at 21:26

Vega's Ohh nice kit!

I was sorely tempted to get a set of KZG evolutions off him last year but opted for Callaway X Forged instead cause he couldn't get the price down to antwhere near what I paid for the Callys, But I'm thinking of going to him for some lessons in the near future he has a good rep locally.

If you do venture down there give me a shout and I'll sign you in at Toot Hill for a game its only 15 mins drive from Hylands towards Harlow on the A414.

13/12/2010 at 21:48

Went to see Lee last week and can say that he is every bit as good as his press.

Going back tomorrow night to hit the first test club he has built as a direct comparison against my current set up.

Then I'll make the decision as to whther or not to proceed with having an entire new set of iorns built or just my current ones reshafted.

If the initial signs are naything to go by and the test club performs as expected then I'll definitely be laying so cash down and will almost certainly be back at a later date for a Driver fitting.

19/12/2010 at 21:09

Just to update....

as expected the test club was a significant improvement over my current sticks and I've put in an order fro a nice new shiny set of Vega VC-01 irons complete with Stiff Black Gold shafts.

Clubs are currently being built and sometime in the next week or two I should go back for a final measurement and tweaking session where we individually tweak each iron to deliver consistant gapping yardages.

After a couple of months of ownership I go back for a final assessment and last minute tweaking of the clubs based on my feedback after actually using them in anger.

For anyone within an hours drive of Chelmsford I would say that Lee Porter offers an excellent custom fitting service that I would imagine would be hard to better.

20/12/2010 at 12:47
Told you!
20/12/2010 at 17:31
1 Over (13.6) wrote (see)
Told you!

Indeed....and if this weather ever clears i'll take you up on your offer of a game round Toot Hill!!!!
16/01/2011 at 10:44

Picked up my VC-01s last night from Lee and spent another 90 minutes on the range with him making sure everything was right....after a few lie angle tweaks he got me to hit a few balls with each club to get an idea of yardages....

Looks like I now need to re-address my wedge lofts and my hybrid option as my yardages appear to have increased by 15 yards with each club!!

Just to re-iterate, Lee offers a serious custom fit service and will spend as much time with you as you feel necessary until he is happy that he's done the very best he can for you and you are happy with the clubs you take away.

I've now got a month or so of actually playing and practising with my new clubs before I return to Lee to report any issues (e.g. with yardage gaps or lie angle not appearing to be quite right) and have some final final adjustments made to the clubs.

....and then I'll be right back to him to have a look at the rest of my clubs!!!

14/07/2011 at 19:24

Ozzie, have you been back to Lee for your final "tweaking"?

I'm going to custom fitted for new irons and Lee is looking favourite to do the job at the moment.

17/07/2011 at 21:34
Tim,
No final tweaking was required...was happy with the clubs, gaps were all nice and consistent.

However...have been back to Lee since then and have had a driver built for me. Working very well.
28/07/2011 at 20:02
What did you have made ? Did you go for a vega driver also?
28/07/2011 at 23:17
No, the Vega driver I tried felt horrible at impact....very hard and unfeeling.

In the end I had a KZG GF4 driver with an Accra Dymatch shaft.
28/07/2011 at 23:26
Ossie, what happened to the fitted Cleveland then, no good?
29/07/2011 at 12:55
Had my fitting session with Lee last Saturday, what a nice bloke and obviously knows his stuff. Shiny new irons on order
29/07/2011 at 20:45
Yorkey,
For some reason when I got the Cleveland home I couldn't do anything but hook it into oblivion...totally took the right side out of play. Never really liked the feel at impact either. I've still got it mind...lurking in the corner of my spares cupboard.

29/07/2011 at 21:03
Ossie, Had the same problem myself a couple of years ago, got fitted for a Ping G10 Driver at Ping HQ in Gainsborough, was hitting it like a dream during the fitting but then took it out on the course and all i could do was hook it. Settled nicely now on an off the shelf Titleist 909 D Comp.
30/07/2011 at 17:50
Tim Ellis wrote (see)
Had my fitting session with Lee last Saturday, what a nice bloke and obviously knows his stuff. Shiny new irons on order

Beans....spill.....what have you ordered????
31/07/2011 at 16:25
Miura CB501's with Nippon shafts.
13/02/2012 at 20:33

Totally agree that Lee is well worth a visit.

Waiting on a new driver shaft .Lee knew within 6 shots or so what i was feeling, and was able to explain and show me all the details of why and how my shaft was wrong.

New one being fitted asap!

1 to 20 of 38 messages
Golfmagic on Twitter