Hylands Golf Academy - Lee Porter

38 posts / 0 new
Hylands Golf Academy - Lee Porter

I know weve plenty of folks from Essex lurking here on this forum so...

Have any of you employed the Custom Fitting services of Lee Porter at Hylands Golf Academy??

If so...I'd appreciate a bit of general feedback on how you found the experience....both stuff you liked and stuff you didnt like!!

I've had a couple of visits to Lee and I must say he certainly knows his stuff, I have a mate who went to him for a Driver and after 2 hours on the range he just said I wouldnt bother changing unless its an asthetic reason cause you hit your own one as well as any of the ones in my demo bag, He didnt want a penny for his time or the balls that my mate hit either!He also is Golfsmiths most highly regarded club maker and does KZG and a few other component makes.Really good egg too!

Cheers for that....considering paying him a visit to get fitted for a new set of Vegas. 

Vega's Ohh nice kit! I was sorely tempted to get a set of KZG evolutions off him last year but opted for Callaway X Forged instead cause he couldn't get the price down to antwhere near what I paid for the Callys, But I'm thinking of going to him for some lessons in the near future he has a good rep locally.If you do venture down there give me a shout and I'll sign you in at Toot Hill for a game its only 15 mins drive from Hylands towards Harlow on the A414.

Went to see Lee last week and can say that he is every bit as good as his press.Going back tomorrow night to hit the first test club he has built as a direct comparison against my current set up.Then I'll make the decision as to whther or not to proceed with having an entire new set of iorns built or just my current ones reshafted.If the initial signs are naything to go by and the test club performs as expected then I'll definitely be laying so cash down and will almost certainly be back at a later date for a Driver fitting.

Just to update....as expected the test club was a significant improvement over my current sticks and I've put in an order fro a nice new shiny set of Vega VC-01 irons complete with Stiff Black Gold shafts.Clubs are currently being built and sometime in the next week or two I should go back for a final measurement and tweaking session where we individually tweak each iron to deliver consistant gapping yardages.After a couple of months of ownership I go back for a final assessment and last minute tweaking of the clubs based on my feedback after actually using them in anger.For anyone within an hours drive of Chelmsford I would say that Lee Porter offers an excellent custom fitting service that I would imagine would be hard to better.

Told you!

1 Over (13.6) wrote (see)

Told you!

Indeed....and if this weather ever clears i'll take you up on your offer of a game round Toot Hill!!!!

Picked up my VC-01s last night from Lee and spent another 90 minutes on the range with him making sure everything was right....after a few lie angle tweaks he got me to hit a few balls with each club to get an idea of yardages....Looks like I now need to re-address my wedge lofts and my hybrid option as my yardages appear to have increased by 15 yards with each club!! Just to re-iterate, Lee offers a serious custom fit service and will spend as much time with you as you feel necessary until he is happy that he's done the very best he can for you and you are happy with the clubs you take away.I've now got a month or so of actually playing and practising with my new clubs before I return to Lee to report any issues (e.g. with yardage gaps or lie angle not appearing to be quite right) and have some final final adjustments made to the clubs.....and then I'll be right back to him to have a look at the rest of my clubs!!!

Ozzie, have you been back to Lee for your final "tweaking"? I'm going to custom fitted for new irons and Lee is looking favourite to do the job at the moment.

Tim,
No final tweaking was required...was happy with the clubs, gaps were all nice and consistent.

However...have been back to Lee since then and have had a driver built for me. Working very well.

What did you have made ? Did you go for a vega driver also?

No, the Vega driver I tried felt horrible at impact....very hard and unfeeling.

In the end I had a KZG GF4 driver with an Accra Dymatch shaft.

Ossie, what happened to the fitted Cleveland then, no good?

Had my fitting session with Lee last Saturday, what a nice bloke and obviously knows his stuff. Shiny new irons on order

Yorkey,
For some reason when I got the Cleveland home I couldn't do anything but hook it into oblivion...totally took the right side out of play. Never really liked the feel at impact either. I've still got it mind...lurking in the corner of my spares cupboard.

Ossie, Had the same problem myself a couple of years ago, got fitted for a Ping G10 Driver at Ping HQ in Gainsborough, was hitting it like a dream during the fitting but then took it out on the course and all i could do was hook it. Settled nicely now on an off the shelf Titleist 909 D Comp.

Tim Ellis wrote (see)

Had my fitting session with Lee last Saturday, what a nice bloke and obviously knows his stuff. Shiny new irons on order

Beans....spill.....what have you ordered????

Miura CB501's with Nippon shafts.

Totally agree that Lee is well worth a visit. Waiting on a new driver shaft .Lee knew within 6 shots or so what i was feeling, and was able to explain and show me all the details of why and how my shaft was wrong. New one being fitted asap!

Are peeps booking the full performance day with Lee to find all this out? I have a hankering for a new driver this year (something adjustable), but think my irons could do with a check over as they are straight off the shelf...

I have a Ping G20 driver with a stiff shaft, but think I need regular, would Lee reshaft it? And if so how much is it likely to cost.

David, most golf pro's - including Lee - can fit a new shaft in your driver. Cost will mainly be the new shaft depending on what you want plus a few quid for fitting it.

Don't have a clue about what shaft I would want, would you recommend going to see Lee and see what he thinks?

Absolutely, Lee is a good bloke and won't sell you something that doesn't suit your swing. He tends to stock top of the range kit so I wouldn't expect the shaft to be from the cheap end of the market.

Lee is a top bloke and has done much work for me and my son and daughter, both of whom are good level juniors.  He's remarkably thorough, very patient and has come up with a few suggestions that we hadn't anticipated, but worked very well. Can't recommend him highly enough.

Off to see Lee on the 1st of Sept for either a new shaft in my Cally FT9 or a new Razr fit... Can't wait!

Thanks to everyones' good feedback on the site, I'm visiting http://www.leeportergolfsolutions.com shortly for a custom fit next week and can't wait to see what he can sort out. My clubs are 9 years old and in need of a review / replacement. Will keep you posted on progress!  

Good choice Mark, you won't regret it (especially if you check out the thread about "custom fitting" on here at the moment!). Look forward to hearing how you get on with Lee.

Quick bit of feedback from my session with Lee today.

What a good guy Lee is, knowledgable but talks in laymans terms, attention to detail is unreal with not a hint of hard sell for something that's not right.

I was probably an hour and a half, hit loads of shots and had plenty of discussion about my swing, game and goals. Was more like lesson than a driver fitting session! Tried the razr fit with lots of shafts, but Lee's diagnosis for me was a few hard sessions on the range to drum out some bad swing methods I had created to compensate for the soft shaft in my current FT-9. Then come back in a couple in a couple of weeks for a refit on a new driver.

I honestly can't wait to go back, already hit the range again this afternoon to do my "homework" he set... Lol

Oh I forgot to mention.... NO CHARGE! I tried my hardest to pay this guy for his time but he wouldn't have it!

He even checked my Diablo Octane 4 wood over as I think it's cracked and he confirmed that the face was caved and is gonna help send it back to Cally to see what they can do! Worst case I'll order something to replace this with Lee anyway... Even thinking of adding a hybrid to the bag and going for a short game tune up.

I seriously can't recommend him enough to anyone thinking of just buying an adjustable club to "fix" their swing.... See Lee first!

For anyone who wants the stats (before/after)
Swing speed = 104/115 mph
Smash = 1.2/1.5
Spin = 3100/2200 ish

Visit number 2 to Lee this morning.....

Back in the room....

One Razr Fit ordered in 9.5deg loft, Diamana blue 63 stiff shaft, one and a quarter inch shorter. They may even chuck in a udesign head for free as clearing stocks... Should take about 7-10 days to arrive, then another session with Lee for final setup....

4 wood going back to Callaway too under their 2 year warranty for either a credit or upgrade!

I can feel myself booking a lot more sessions with Lee....

Why do so many threads get bumped by brand new users posting nothing at all?

Went to see lee today for a putter assessment and found lee to be very knowledgable n helpful.He could've tried selling me a putter but said it would be a waste of money n would be better off tweaking mine n my swing slightly.after approx 20-25 mins of putting lee said he would cut my putter down,fit a fatter grip n add a bit of weight at the bottom of shaft all included in my original ??25 fee as didn't spen entire 45 mins.Hopefully a much better season on the dance floor n any tweaks lee said would do foc.Imo well worth a visit n will be going back soon for an entire assessment of all the clubs

Mrng all,

I need a new driver and was looking to go see lee after yr comments. Does anyone know how quick u can get to see him and how do his club prices compare ?

Cheers

Ali

Vega's Ohh nice kit! I was sorely tempted to get a set of KZG evolutions off him last year but opted for Callaway X Forged instead cause he couldn't get the price down to antwhere near what I paid for the Callys, But I'm thinking of going to him for some lessons in the near future he has a good rep locally. If you do venture down there give me a shout and I'll sign you in at Toot Hill for a game its only 15 mins drive from Hylands towards Harlow on the A414.       Read more: http://www.golfmagic.com/forum/custom-fit-and-club-makers/hylands-golf-academy---lee-porter/38825.html#ixzz2ZRNIiGkm