What a difference grip size makes

19/05/2012 at 20:10

I know I should have done this a while ago and were it not for a long injury layoff probably would have done it last season.  I regripped my Driver and 3 wood.... with different grips. Midsize +2 layers for the driver and standard +4 layers for the 3 wood.

Yeah, I know that sounds crazy but I'm trying to work out what grip thickness suits me. I found that the so-called advice based on a) glove size, or b) finger and hand measurements  doesn't "fit" me. Those recommendations have always been : Standard grip with 1 extra layer of tape. Nuts!  

I've been more inconsistent since having the recommended size but believed it was just me being crap that was causing all the hooks and pushes.

Today was a revelation - I was seeing my soft draw again ( albeit not always) and I really felt that I had a more relaxed forearm - I wasn't "throttling" the birdie - if you know what I mean!

I appreciate that this was just ONE day and I need to see if the swing improvement holds up, but I'm already thinking ahead...and the question that comes up now is how do I make a record of the grip size that I like the best - for future reference. I know that pros ask how many layers of tape etc but I believe that this is also a problem as there are tapes of several different thicknesses. Is there anyone who can enlighten me further on the science of grips? Clubmakers especially!

Any advice or info greatly appreciated.

20/05/2012 at 09:14

I measure my grips with a vernier at two key points - top of grip (5mm down) and where the bottomof my right hand comes (about 200mm down). This lets me see what seems 'best' for me.

Find what you like and this can be your target. As you say tape can differ but more importanty so can grip and shaft. I fitted Sharpro Velvets to Mizuno's last week (with 4 wraps) and then yesterday Sharpro corded dual to Taylormade (with 2 wraps). The Taylormade were larger ( about 1mm on the diameter)and MUCH harder to fit - I had to blow them on as they jammed half way!

You get 0.580 and 0.600 shafts and grips. Trial and error and recording is the best I have found so far.

23/05/2012 at 20:49
John R7 (11.5) wrote (see)

I yesterday Sharpro corded dual to Taylormade (with 2 wraps). The Taylormade were larger ( about 1mm on the diameter)and MUCH harder to fit - I had to blow them on as they jammed half way!

They sound like TaylorMade lite graphite. They are the only shafts where I get the local pro to do the job for me because of the oversize butt. You can get grips specifically for these shafts, used to be a similar problem with the Firesole shafts. I actually have ladies grips fitted to my clubs with these shafts to allow for the oversize butt. One of the things I have found work in my trial and error was to warm the grips in hot water before fitted as it allows them to expand more.

23/05/2012 at 21:35

Jim, no standard DGS300's. I am not sure if they are 0.600 and the grips are 0.580? I can get them on anyway as I have the luxury of a compressor that was used to remove the previous grips. I also prefer larger grips so I am over the moon anyway.

The other thing is the half cord. I have fitted full cord in the past and they were hard to put on. The cording stops the grip from expanding as much as it slides on (I think / feel). 

28/05/2012 at 18:35
John R7 (11.5) wrote (see)

Jim, no standard DGS300's. I am not sure if they are 0.600 and the grips are 0.580?

If you have Dynamic Gold in reg flex tapered tip (.355) then they are .58 if they are Stiff or Xstiff then they are .60. Parallel are are .60

Your say
email image