Golf instruction: Tilt your head to stop slicing

18/05/2009 at 11:10
As the season starts to gain momentum we want to know what's the best tip you've had from a pro or a fellow golfer this year. Apart from dedicating yourself to more practice we want you to share your triumphs and disappointments by telling other passionate golfers what's worked for you so far and what hasn't.
18/05/2009 at 14:50

Tilt my head and make sure my hands are in front of the ball when playing iron shots.

Worked for a wee while...now i'm crap again

18/05/2009 at 15:00
Slow down.
18/05/2009 at 15:40

Accelerate through every putt.

19/05/2009 at 08:18

Ring the Bell - at the top of the back swing, start the movement towards the ball by pulling downwards with the hands to get an inside-out swing going. Also to add to this by starting the hip turn at the same time to celar the body easier when driving.

Same as Supp also, accelerate through every putt and make sure that your arms are alligned (i.e. that the left elbow and right elbow - i'm right handed - on a straight line to the hole, not letting your left elbow tuck back in closer to the body)

19/05/2009 at 11:05

don't overswing on the backswing

I thought I wasn't getting a full backswing - then had a lesson and found I'd been swinging far too far back - thus losing all timing.

Stop backswing once left shoulder under chin - then as Kefkef says - pull down on the bellringers rope to create lag as i was also uncocking my wrists too early - thus losing distance as the clubhead had slowed down by the time it hit the ball

19/05/2009 at 11:18
 Big point I have recently found that helps!
Dick in shorts(15.0) wrote (see)

don't overswing on the backswing

I thought I wasn't getting a full backswing - then had a lesson and found I'd been swinging far too far back - thus losing all timing.

Stop backswing once left shoulder under chin - then as Kefkef says - pull down on the bellringers rope to create lag as i was also uncocking my wrists too early - thus losing distance as the clubhead had slowed down by the time it hit the ball

I also started exagerating weight transfer trying to keep my wrist cocked through my down swing and standing a little further away with the centre of the club face closer to me (with the ball on the toe of the club). A bit like Zach Johnson. This has also seemed to help me swing inside to out. 

Following these steps at the range yesterday I felt it's the most consistent I driven straight possibly ever! Really hope it sticks!

Edited: 19/05/2009 at 11:36
19/05/2009 at 22:06

Three steps/swing thoughts

1) good grip and setup

2) finish the backswing

3) accelerate through the ball

that plus slowing my swing down is all i think about when playing now... keep it simple

21/05/2009 at 21:43

tempo is eveything, power coems from the left side not the right

22/05/2009 at 02:10

half 7- half 5 on the clockface is where it really matters in a golf swing. - Bob Torrance.

Easy way to get a draw or big draw(good when you are trying to get round things.) Is to set up facing to the right of your target, clubface quite open.  then do an exagerated turn over of the hands. easy.

now i just want to learn to do a fade/slice like it

22/05/2009 at 02:14
Weight should be spread across the balls of your feet, not in the heels.

I found that after years of reading about 'getting your weight into the right heel' I was massively over compensating and had the weight on the outside of my right foot during the backswing.

A golf pro friend of mine told me to pull my left hip forward towards the ball at address (I must have been standing open to the target). This helped keep my weight centered during the swing.... killing my gay fade and introducing a slight draw, which I haven't been able to do for years.
22/05/2009 at 23:49

My best advice was bugger to what 99% of pro's teach - all that matters is that the correct contact is made with the ball, hitting the sweet spot, thus giving the ball maximum power to gain the required loft and distance.

Backswing mechanics, start of downswing blah blah - these complications are not needed. As long as you arrive at the ball with the sweet spot then you're winning.

23/05/2009 at 07:43

Topper, I agree up to a point that freeing up the mind when you swing is huge if you can do it.

Unfortunatly, not everyone can.

Some people have to have at least 2 swing thoughts in their head at any one time, either wise they think they are not trying hard enough.

If I could just add a few things to your last sentence if I may?

As long as you arrive at the ball with the correct swing direction, angle of attack, club face square, enough speed and hitting the sweetspot, then you're winning.

Fortunately, you dont need to do all these pefectly to get the ball round the course in a decent score 

23/05/2009 at 07:59
Make sure i have my brolly,waterproofs and plenty of gloves and dry towels
Your say
email image