Greg Norman joins TaylorMade

14 messages
02/04/2009 at 14:56
Take it that will be the end of MacGregor then??
02/04/2009 at 16:21
He needs the money !
02/04/2009 at 16:23
What a charade all this tour player endorsement really is.
02/04/2009 at 16:30
Lawman 4.8 wrote (see)
What a charade all this tour player endorsement really is.

I some ways, certainly it is.

But look at Greg Norman, with all his billions, why would he choose to use Taylor Made when he could pick any equipment in the world?

There can only be one answer, as unfashionable as it is in some parts of the internet, but the equipment he is now using is up there with the best available in the world.   He doesn't want to play at Augusta and look like a plonker, he's trying to get the best equipment he can to give himself the best chance he can.

Or maybe he's just a greedy f***** !! 

02/04/2009 at 17:04

I heard about MacGregor going bump a while ago (or certainly it was on the cusp of happening).

It's a pity because of their history, etc. They did lose their way a bit during the late '90s early '00s knocking out mass produced sh!te. When Barry Schneider took over he wanted to bring quality back to MacGregor starting with the 1025 series of forged irons.

I owned both the 1025C's and the 1025M's (which I still posses) and I can honestly say they were some of the finest forgings I have ever used and beat the sh!t out of the competition even the glorious Mizuno MX-20's and MP-33's (respectively).

MacGregor's woods did leave a lot to be desired but the Eye-O-Matic and more recently the Mac-Tec NVG2 Draw driver were very well respected and highly acclaimed.

Their latest MT-Pro series of irons were also lovely and so there could be a bargain out there for someone looking for a well performing, aesthetically pleasing set of irons (the black finish versions are beautiful).

Greg has plenty of wonga and so he can choose his kit and I wouldn't bet against TM in the woods stakes (drivers, fairways, rescues) but if I were him I'd keep those MacGregor prototype forged blades - that got him a 3rd place at last years Open - firmly in the bag.

02/04/2009 at 17:25

I would believe that how ever Greg wanted clubs to perform, look, feel or play could have been granted at MacGregor,  at the end of the day it's just down to a change of wood covers and a tour bag, do they really help you win a Masters ? Nope but they sure decide how much you get paid when not winning

02/04/2009 at 17:36
Maybe the helicopter's due its MOT?
02/04/2009 at 21:12
Norman has always been in golf for the money. If he can make a few bucks more by switching allegiances he will, and add about 99.9% of other tour pro's to that list. They are just whores, and should be treated as such.
02/04/2009 at 21:20
Creosote wrote (see)
............They are just whores, and should be treated as such.

Can't see many of them taking £20 for tits & hand shandy??
02/04/2009 at 21:23

Agree with Creosote, the more they have the more they want.

Jacqui Smith?(our Home Sec), claims 88p for a bath plug

02/04/2009 at 23:01
Sign of the times if I can use them maybe win a few with them and your going to pay more money heck would'nt most go for it.
03/04/2009 at 17:24
Oldboy wrote (see)

Did you mean "bath" or "butt"? I mean, after hubby's recent expense claims surely the latter would be more likely!

Edited: 03/04/2009 at 17:25
03/04/2009 at 17:36
I think I'll run out and buy a set of TaylorMades......then again maybe not!!
04/04/2009 at 09:43
Chris Curry wrote (see)
Oldboy wrote (see)

Did you mean "bath" or "butt"? I mean, after hubby's recent expense claims surely the latter would be more likely!

no way you can get a buttplug for 88p these days

Your say
email image
14 messages
Golfmagic on Twitter