Talkback: WIN! Callaway irons up for grabs

AP
01/03/2012 at 12:34

Disappointed on missing out on the Hacker2Hero prizes? Well Decathlon have kindly offered up a set of Callaway irons, as well as an Isesis bag and TaylorMade balls as the competitions just keep on rolling here at Golfmagic.

All you have to do is answer the following question: What is your best ever golfing purchase?

For more on Decathlon and this competition, click here.

01/03/2012 at 12:48
My best ever purchase was my club membership as i now get to play every week in club comps and has been a great place to meet new people.
01/03/2012 at 12:55

My best purchase has been the set of 6 lessons that I've recently completed.  I've learnt so much about what I am doing, how I am doing it and, more importantly to me, the knowledge of what I've done when I hit the ball wrong.

In terms of equipment, my best purchase has been a Callaway Big Bertha 454 Titanium, a second hand club for £20.  As a beginner I was struggling to hit a good drive with a Ping G2, but with the Cally I'm now far more consistent in my direction and reaching 200-220 metres.

01/03/2012 at 13:21
Mine has to be the group lessons i bought for my son when he was 5. He has since gone onto receive county coaching and get invited ti the Ian Poulter Junior Invitational at Woburn. I also have someone to play with when my friends aren't available and its a great excuse to "take the lad for a game" ;-)
01/03/2012 at 13:54

When I had not long started playing golf in my local society I went on the annual weekend away to Wales.  The course we played on the first day was Rhuddlan and I lpayed out of my skin for 17 holes.  Then disaster.  A mixture of novice over confidence followed by a raging loss of temper saw me troop off the last with a 19!

To put it into context I was still only 3 shots behind the leader!  I was devastated and over a pint in the club house when everyone had run out of ways to take the mickey I realised that you can't be cocky or loose your temper playing golf, it will always bring you down if you do.  

I went in the club shop and bought a Rhuddlan course ball marker and I use that every round.  Whenever I place it down it or hit a bad shot it reminds me to keep focused and calm and of what an idiot I was to think I had this game licked!

01/03/2012 at 13:59
All my golf equipment is the best purchases I have ever made as it has hooked me more and more about how wonderful the game of golf is.I believe golf to be the game of heaven as it takes a lifetime to master it and you'll die before you succeed.
01/03/2012 at 14:14
I think my best purchase was the green fee I bought at the club I am now a member.
The welcome given by the owner was second too none and despite me only coming in for a green fee proceeded to introduce everyone who was around at the time and made me realise what a fantastic social game this is for everyone young, old, tall, short, thin and well lets not go into my waistline!.
01/03/2012 at 15:10
My best purchase? An £8 putting machine that I probably spend more time with than with my girlfriend. It's helped my putting game massively and gives me a valid excuse to hit golf balls around the lounge.
01/03/2012 at 15:28

My best ever purchase was, err better not

01/03/2012 at 15:47
My best ever purchase is every single one of the many tens of thousands of balls that I've hit over the years at the range.

You can spend all the money you want on fancy clubs, you can blow the wifes housekeeping on the latest gadgets and training aids. You can invest the kids pocket money in lessons.

But...

At the end of the day if you are not willing to put in the practice developing your skills with the clubs, if you are not willing to back up the lessons you have had with meaningful practice, then you are ultimately doomed to a golfing life of mediocrity and will struggle to improve singificantly.

So to every range ball I've ever hit...I can assure you that I suffered more pain in hitting the many thousands of you that I have, than you as individuals have suffered at my hands.

Irrespective of this....I wouldnt be where I am as a golfer today without your help....you are by far and away the best purchase I've ever made.
01/03/2012 at 16:06
My best golf purchase was a pair of Hogan Sure-Out wedges that I obtained on a online auction by swooping in at the last moment and bumping my bid. The performance of these wedges -- and my confidence in their performance -- has helped my short game immensely.
01/03/2012 at 16:07

My best golf purchase would have to be a Ping G10 Rescue I bought from a friend not long after taking up the game. It was the first bit of quality kit I ever bought. I will literally use it until it breaks. Great off the tee, fairway, rough, and even around the greens when you need a nice bit of roll. This club is so versatile and has saved my bacon too many times to remember, and is a pleasure to use

01/03/2012 at 16:31

BEst Ever golf purchase must be the hire of a caddie at North Berwick Golf club, we went to play for my friends 60th I was getting the caddie for him as a present but he insisted on carrying his own bag.  So this old burly scot fellow turns up looking none to fussed that i have got him out of bed on a sunday morning to carry around a english guys clubs.  
First tee hit a nice 3 wood. then it all went wrong from there. The guy was very knowladgable and told some good stories kept us entertained on the way round. It was worth it to see the look on his and my playing partners face as he said " that will be a 3 wood sir" for every shot i was taking.  

01/03/2012 at 16:42

For me the best ever golf purchase has to be my 15ft telescopic ball retriever.  It's the one piece of equipment in my bag I can rely on and even when things are at their worst (which is all too often) I can still get that thrill of satisfaction fishing out other peoples lost balls from the lake.  I reckon that it's paid for itself 100's of times over in the price of balls it's retrieved. 

01/03/2012 at 16:45

Callaway 11 wood. Bought it when I had the sh**ks some 12 years ago, still in my bag today but fortunately the sh**ks are long gone.

01/03/2012 at 17:08
My best ever purchase was a set of donnay kids irons. The reason they were the best.........................they got me into this great sport that we all love!!
01/03/2012 at 17:24
My best golf purchase ever was my first set of clubs. When I was 15, my mom and I went to the driving range with an old wilson 3-wood that my Pop-pop had given to me. I had recently decided that I wanted to join my high school's golf team, but I didn't have a full set of clubs yet. So, when I was at the driving range, my mom told me that if I could hit past the 200 yard marker with my 3-wood that she would buy me a set of clubs (mind you, this was my first time hitting a golf ball). Well, I was down to about three golf balls, and I was getting anxious as to whether I could do it, but low and behold, on the second to last ball, I hit past the 200 yard mark and turned around and just smiled at my mom. That led up to me buying my first set of clubs at my local Target (Men's Tour Logic Golf Clubs and Stand Bag Set) which introduced me to the wonderful game of golf. So, having the chance to upgrade my older, cheaper irons (which are still my current clubs) is a great opportunity for me and one I could not pass up.
01/03/2012 at 17:35

My best ever purchase was in 1987. A £20 joint golf lesson for me and my good lady.

We'd just moved up to St Neots in Cambridgeshire and knew nobody in the area. I was looking for something my wife and I could take part in together and having played a couple of rounds of golf I decided that golf should be our thing. We were close to Wyboston Lakes GC so I dropped by the pro shop and booked a lesson for us for the following Saturday afternoon.

I told my wife that I was taking her out on Saturday, her obvious delight was tempered a little when I advised her to wear some comfortable trousers and polo shirt - "nowhere classy then" she surmised. On the day she got into the car and we made the short trip to the golf course, as we approached she said "Oh no, not golf!" I asked her to just give it a go and if she really hated it then I would never ask her to wield a golf club again.

Our teacher for the lesson was Paul Ashwell and I could not have chosen better - the fates were certainly smiling on me that day! Paul led us through the basics and soon had the both of us knocking 7 irons toward the 100 yard marker. As ever the first time my wife connected properly and sent one soaring into the air the smile on her face was huge and beaming - she was well and truly hooked!

Since then we've gone on to enjoy all of the benefits that this great game gives us. We've a huge circle of golfing friends all round the world; we play in mixed opens together (even managed to win one or two); birthday and Christmas golfing gifts are always appropriate and never naff; and every holiday is a golfing holiday - the only decision to be made is where. No arguments about how much golf I play or taking a day out for a GM golf day

So all in all £20 well spent I reckon

01/03/2012 at 17:47

My best ever golf purchase was a donation I made to UNICEF, it got you the chance to play some golf with Rory McIlroy at the Belfry.... and I won!

Rory didn't do too bad out of the deal either, he went up from world no 3 when I played with him to world no 2 the week after.

See link:
http://www.golfmagic.com/forum/golf-equipment/talkback--rory-mcilroy---the-biography/46050.html

01/03/2012 at 17:48
A ball retriever because I'm always in trouble!