The No backswing golf swing

1 to 20 of 21 messages
20/03/2009 at 19:23

I saw this article & thought id give it a go at the range & I must say after a few attempts I was striking the ball better than ever. The balls had a nice piercing flight and went dead straight. My only concern was a slight loss of distance but at the range was shooting into wind ill try tomorrow on the course & let you all know how I get on.

Any one else tried this ??

http://www.golf.com/golf/video/article/0,28224,1651955,00.html

20/03/2009 at 19:56

yes i am doing this in my game at the minute.. just taking wat i think to be a short half swing but infact is a decent full swing.

i now get much more control with the ball and distance dont seem to be effected to much due to gettin a more central solid connection

20/03/2009 at 20:29
That's how I play!! I've been playing just under 2 years, had no lessons, and have never had a backswing, yet driver further than most of my playing partners. It also helps me draw the ball, as its like a baseball swing, flat and curved. If I were you, I would try it for a month or two, not just on the range or for one round. Its something you need to learn and get used too, but for me its a natural way to swing. I know that if i try to get a full swing i slice the ball badly!
20/03/2009 at 20:44
Okay, it's like a baseball swing, get a baseball player to demo it... but why get a pitcher? (For those who don't know baseball, pitchers are the only guys in the team who aren't there for their batting ability)
20/03/2009 at 20:53
I think most high handicappers waste a lot of speed in their downswing at the top because their downswing is not sequenced properly. As a result, they can often get better results from a short downswing because they are reaching peak speed so early. The problem I have with a short downswing is loss of rhythm. I've seen a guy at the range who has a very short jerky swing but he hits it fairly far and quite straight - it looks awful mind and I wonder whether his swing breaks down while playing 18 holes.
20/03/2009 at 21:40
so do you guys set the backswing, pause then hit or just do a half swing and hit in one motion?
20/03/2009 at 21:58
how do you create lag with no backswing?
21/03/2009 at 08:14
Bloody silly! Seriously, if it works for you who cares? The golf ball sure doesn't. Personally, I'd rather not play than look that daft!
21/03/2009 at 08:25
Paul R wrote (see)

I saw this article & thought id give it a go at the range & I must say after a few attempts I was striking the ball better than ever. The balls had a nice piercing flight and went dead straight. My only concern was a slight loss of distance but at the range was shooting into wind ill try tomorrow on the course & let you all know how I get on.

Any one else tried this ??

http://www.golf.com/golf/video/article/0,28224,1651955,00.html

Problem with this is that it's been named wrongly, it's a bit misleading calling it a "no backswing", because the backswing is there, it just starts from half way back.

It's a great drill for getting into a good position half way back, e.g. for those that don't rotate at all on their backswing. 

One of the Scandinavian girls in the last Solheim Cup actually swung like this in the tournament......I believe she lost!

21/03/2009 at 12:24
and she looked stupid while losing haha
21/03/2009 at 12:52
Josh The Nosh wrote (see)
and she looked stupid while losing haha

Yeah, she must be really sh*t to not win, piece of p*ss to get a place in the Solheim cup
21/03/2009 at 14:59
they asked me but i was like nah let her go
21/03/2009 at 20:01
Colours would not of suited you Josh

Josh The Nosh wrote (see)

how do you create lag with no backswing?

I think you creat Lag much better this way, as you dont release early over the top, try it. A top coach gave me this as a drill to develope a later hit. It really works.

I had a go today after a crap round of golf, hit the ball loads better, i set swing, 2 up/down pumps then hit it.

Can I go on the course like this  might have to if it works(well this week any way)

06/03/2013 at 18:54

If it works for you, then it would be strange to not use it would it not?

I use it, have a pause at my backswing (club level to ground) make a small pumping action and hit the ball. Works well. I am not a long hitter and have no interest in being one. I'd rather be in the center of the fairway on every hole and 220 to 240 total carry than being a fairway over or in the woods. Both my tee shot and first fairway shot net the same distance average so I'm never more than a short chip off the green if I didn't hit it or roll up on it. Enjoy the game, that's what it is and why you play I hope. People talk more about scores than swings I beileve.

07/03/2013 at 11:34

At the end of the day, the backswing is only there to put you in the correct position to start your downswing.  If this works by getting you set right in the first place, then the only problem with it is it not the conventional way of doing it. 

That doesn't make it wrong, just different.

10/03/2013 at 14:36

Not wrong but very different, I quite like the idea of it though and will try it out.

11/03/2013 at 21:56

Just another fad from across the pond. I have seen similar methods. All it is doing is harnessing a half to three quarter swing. It is no secret that many golfers have too many moving parts which often results in an overswing and loss of power and control. A shorter swing is much easier to control and with some upper body strength can still send the ball a long way. Indeed, very reminesent of Jim Thorpe's swing -  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MUA0LymDTE

11/03/2013 at 22:00

I meant to have said that a very short swing is sometimes used by teaching pros to encourage the better use of the lower part of the body through the downswing, it also promotes a more inside path. Very difficult to do a short swing and not to use the hips/legs to drive through the swing.

13/03/2013 at 14:23

Nothing new. I've seen this technique used before by professional athletes.

See here

14/03/2013 at 17:42
Ray Rapp wrote (see)

Does the address position not mirror the impact position? 

Hence a poor set up will reflect in a poor swing, very few golfers have the natural ability to make adjustments on their downswing.

Ray Rapp wrote (see)

Just another fad from across the pond. I have seen similar methods. All it is doing is harnessing a half to three quarter swing. It is no secret that many golfers have too many moving parts which often results in an overswing and loss of power and control. A shorter swing is much easier to control and with some upper body strength can still send the ball a long way. Indeed, very reminesent of Jim Thorpe's swing -  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MUA0LymDTE

Wouldn't call that a short backswing! About 10 degrees short of parallel. Problem is that most people overswing way past parallel which is way beyond where most people ever need to go because to get to there for all but the pros its not by flexibility, but by something else breaking down. The drills are a good one to get the feeling of a half swing but what you feel and what you look like are very different. When my pro gets me to do a half swing - and I mean half way to parallel with the shaft vertical, its about where Jim Thorpe gets to, a nice full swing just short of parallel!

Edited: 14/03/2013 at 17:43
1 to 20 of 21 messages
Golfmagic on Twitter