Trophies

1 to 20 of 25 messages
16/11/2009 at 17:47

Over the years I have been lucky enough to acquire the odd golf trophy or two.

I have kept the "best ones" on display in the house but the other ones are boxed up in the garage most likely never to be seen again!

It would seem a waste just to chuck them away down the tip. Has anyone managed to sell, recycle or give away any of their unwanted trophies?

16/11/2009 at 17:57

I have a similar connundrum with all my snooker trophies. I want to keep the memories but want to regain the space. My thoughts are that I will photograph the trophies and create an album.

I would have thought that the only ones worth anything would be of precious metal or ones that do not have any engraving.

16/11/2009 at 18:08

Have you not a loft?

Tis a shame to rid of them, unless engraved with best deepthroat 89!

16/11/2009 at 18:31
Doubt that this is a problem I will ever encounter, although my one and only cricket trophy from 1992 has pride of place on my bedside drawers!
16/11/2009 at 18:36

I have a shelf in bookcase in my house and all the trophies go on the shelf.  The medals get stacked away on the insides of the shelf and the trophies are at the front.

I have a couple of trophies to get in this years prize giving ceremony so am looking forward to needing to make more space.

The mrs has complained so there is a chance that a new trophy cabinet will be built in the en suite.  All my golf books will go into it as well.

The idea about recycling them isn't a bad one.  Maybe you could offer them to your society if you are a member or of course you could sell them at a car boot sale.  There are plenty of saddos out there who don't mind buying trophies and pretending they won them!

16/11/2009 at 18:38
Styles wrote (see)

I have a shelf in bookcase in my house and all the trophies go on the shelf.  The medals get stacked away on the insides of the shelf and the trophies are at the front.

I have a couple of trophies to get in this years prize giving ceremony so am looking forward to needing to make more space.

The mrs has complained so there is a chance that a new trophy cabinet will be built in the en suite.  All my golf books will go into it as well.

The idea about recycling them isn't a bad one.  Maybe you could offer them to your society if you are a member or of course you could sell them at a car boot sale.  There are plenty of saddos out there who don't mind buying trophies and pretending they won them!

That sounds like someone talking from experience.

16/11/2009 at 19:08

when i finished racing i assembled all the trophies and trinkets and photographed them

i took the name plates off them and donated them back to the club where i had been a member, saved them a few quid

16/11/2009 at 20:36
mines on a shelf in my room i have got a few now
16/11/2009 at 21:11

I keep mine on top of my wank mags

16/11/2009 at 21:14
TopTugger97!
17/11/2009 at 04:52

It's a problem I doubt I'll ever have.

Anyway, how about donating them to some kind of youth program?

17/11/2009 at 14:26

You may know them as trophies my wife knows them as "eyesores".

All of my baubles are on display in some dusty corner of a cupboard, garage, etc.

As soon as they start giving out scented candles, chinsey tat and other such dust cloggers for trophies then I'm a shoe-in to have them on display.

17/11/2009 at 14:41

@ Chris

I have one golf trophy, won back in Aug in our annual society comp. I only get to keep it for a year, but after a few weeks on display in the living room my wife started grumbling.

"Who on earth bought such a stupid, big trophy anyaway????" she demanded.

"Um... me" I admitted sheepishly.

Anyway, like Chris, it's proudly on display in the bottom of my wardrobe in the bedroom

17/11/2009 at 14:44

Adey - do you not have any kids -  in years to come you can get the trophies out and regale your grandchildren/great grandchildren with tales of your golfing exploits

I'm sure - like the rest of us - you'll be able to talk them round your winning round for each and every one of them

17/11/2009 at 15:15
Wait until Creo reads this - he'll tell you the answer is to bin all trophies that weren't won in scratch comps
17/11/2009 at 15:31

I have a trophy display cabinet

- it is 6' wide X 6' high X 2' 6" deep, four shelves, glass fronted and rammed.

17/11/2009 at 15:35
I couldn't afford the increase in house insurance premiums so I've left all this year's at the golf club!!
17/11/2009 at 15:47

Taz

Presumably when you pop your clogs - it could be used to deposit you 6 feet under - with or without the trophies

17/11/2009 at 16:43

I wish they were all mine

17/11/2009 at 17:40

D.I.S,

I have two kids, the older is nearly eight and plays but I wouldn't inflict that pain on them. Well, not yet anyway.

I've mentioned giving them to our junior section but they don't seem to interested.

I'll sit tight on them for a while but hopefully a few will find a good home.

1 to 20 of 25 messages
Golfmagic on Twitter