Which golf ball for the longest drive.

30/05/2010 at 18:53

On our golf days,barnbow friendly golf society,leeds. like other societies we have the longest drive competition.which ball would you recommend for this one hole to try and pinch a few yards.

30/05/2010 at 19:40
Ah! but Kenny thats at a mega ton swing speed, what about us meer mortals at 80mph swing speeds what is the best ball for us???
30/05/2010 at 20:30

Don't bother about changing your ball for one hole!! Just concentrate on getting whatever you play with on the short stuff, otherwise you won't win it anyway.

Our society tends to shy away from longest drive, as it rules too many older players out of the equation - we go for a nearest the pin in three on a shortish par 5, which gives most a chance. 

30/05/2010 at 21:09
I would have thought that would give the long hitters even more of an advantage if they can get on the green in 2 and then putt close or even in the hole for 3 shots.
30/05/2010 at 21:55
We're talking society golf though - sure some long hitters may be able to reach, but realistically most won't so it gives everyone a sniff.
31/05/2010 at 09:08
by heck i was only asking for a recommendation of a golf ball.i will try once more.which ball would you use for the longest drive.straight and simple.
31/05/2010 at 09:55
Titliest NXT will give you as good a go as any
31/05/2010 at 10:26
For myself I would use the same ball as I had been using previously. The longest generally available and legal to use ball I have hit is the Callaway HX Hot, so if it was important to me (which its not) then I would stick one of those in the bag for long drive holes.
31/05/2010 at 17:12
"by heck i was only asking for a recommendation of a golf ball.i will try once more.which ball would you use for the longest drive.straight and simple."

The same ball you used on all the previous holes, if you've still got it.

The best ball for a golfer depends on the characteristics of that golfer, plain and simple.
01/06/2010 at 08:13
sam hamblett wrote (see)
by heck i was only asking for a recommendation of a golf ball.i will try once more.which ball would you use for the longest drive.straight and simple.

Isn't a discussion allowed to develop then?!

As I said, the same ball you use on any other hole - you clearly use that ball for a reason, so stick with it.

01/06/2010 at 08:55
By heck this is interesting stuff
01/06/2010 at 09:20
Bronty (10.8) wrote (see)
Our society tends to shy away from longest drive, as it rules too many older players out of the equation - we go for a nearest the pin in three on a shortish par 5, which gives most a chance. 

All of these "target prizes" are flawed in their own way - eg Nearest the Pin on a 165 yard hole, some players are using a hybrid and others a 7 iron! In some ways they should make the likes of Creo happy as they unashamedly reward the best shot, no handicaps to worry about!

By putting the LD on a relatively tight hole (at least sometimes, variety is the spice of golf) you can bring everyone into the equation - I'm a short hitter and I've won one with a drive of about 220yds, my Dad (who never gets it beyond 200) has won one - we even had one occasion when our shortest hitter won it with a 4-iron, he was the only man to land it on the fairway!

We don't normally have an NP3 but we did on tour last year - I was gutted to be pin high but just off the green, though chuffed to chip in for the birdie

As to balls - I'd go for a good quality 2-piece like an NXT as Kenny recommends, or even a low-spin 3-piece like a TM Burner TP.

01/06/2010 at 10:07
I've found the Bridgestone E6 to be long and straight,feels mince round the green though.Or the burner LDP also.
01/06/2010 at 10:24

I've seen several societies go fro Straightest drive rather than longest so everybody has a chance

You just need to get the club to put a white line down the middle of a straight hole

01/06/2010 at 10:40
I know its only a bit of fun, but im really not a fan of anything other than nearest the pin.  NTP is the only thing I try to do, when aiming for a score.  When longest drive comes up I never try for it because it will always end up in a big slice for me!  I never really carry a driver anyway!
01/06/2010 at 15:57

Another thumbs up for nearest the pin. Par 3's are designed to reward target golf. A good hole is surrounded by hazards and the greenkeeper can choose a pin position that will reward quality rather than pure luck (i.e. 5 yards on over a bunker or on the left side accessible only over some water). These are the type of shots that produce good scores but percentage success is very much related to skill level.  A par 3 should be reachable by the vast majority of the field and just because different clubs will be used by different players doesn't make it unfair. In 1972 Jack Nicklaus hit one of the best ever shots to effectively seal the US Open at the 17th at Pebble Beach. It was a 1 iron that finished inches from the hole.

Longest drive can be won by any ape prepared to give it the full treatment and deal with the consequences if it goes wrong. Even the big hitting slicers are going to hit a straight one every now and then or even curl a banana back onto the fairway. It doesn't mean that they are playing well. Whereas a short-hitter may go round hitting his tee shots 220 up the middle on every par4/5 and has little chance of winning a LD comp despite probably scoring well over the round.

Having said this, if all side games are treated as a bit of fun and the prizes appropriate then the more the merrier. At least it gives the low handicappers a chance at coming away with something in a handicap comp (whoops - that can of worms should maybe be left in another thread).

01/06/2010 at 18:50
The best ball for distance is dependent totally on the swing speed of the player. To get the greatest distance not only do you need a distance ball but you also need to be hitting a ball which has the correct compression for your swing speed. Too hard a ball and you will not compress it, too soft and you over compress it.
02/06/2010 at 09:45
I did once suggest a shortest drive and furthest from the pin booby prize for a mates stag do. Unfortunately it was Newcastle in December, it snowed and we ended up watching the Toon piss a 2-0 lead up the wall against Stoke instead.
Edited: 02/06/2010 at 09:46
02/06/2010 at 09:51
At the Golf Live event Richard "ow, my leg" Boxall was presiding over a "Biggest difference" Drivign competition. Two shots, both with a full swing, largest difference between the two won. Some of the trick shot guys were topping the ball a few inches and then giving it both barrels with the next one. Paul Casey managed two air shots and then finally caught one about 50 yards. He then followed it up with a 360 yard monster! Not sure who won, it was running over the weekend, but quite fun
Your say
email image