Will Westwood or Donald ever win a Major?

15/08/2011 at 06:46

I thought Donald may get one this year but I now doubt either of them will ever win.

Westwood seems to have had a strange attitude change the last couple of years, he looks morose, and seems indignant after every putt, doing an impression of a teapot - one hand on hip, other sticking out towards hole. He has a fabulous long game, but weak short game and isnt that good a putter, and after every round he seems to moan that nothing dropped, yet he doesnt putt very well, somehow thinks putts should drop even when he misreads or mishits them.

Donald plays his usual solid stuff for most of the time, but has lapses.The missus made a comment that I thought quite good, she said Donald always seems to play great on easier courses but not so good on tough courses. Doesnt bode well for Majors then!

The one thing they seem to have in common is they just dont seem to hole from 15-25 feet, and these guys get a lot of putts that length.

So we have World No.1 and No.2 but neither looks now like winning a Major. Shame really.

15/08/2011 at 08:00

I wonder if Luke has the killer instinct to win at all costs, or is he just too nice.  Tim Henman was the same.

Tee to green Lee was exceptional. If only there was a way he could improve his chipping and putting.

Anyone know his Moby no.

15/08/2011 at 08:08
Their demeanour on the course is not one of a winner. I'm not a fan of Rory, don't know why, but he carrys himself like someone who is going to win.
15/08/2011 at 08:30

I just don't see that at all? Westwood's demeanour is every bit a winner, but there's no doubt he realises his putting isn't good enough.

Despite shaving the hole time and again, he still spanks the nest one down the middle as far as anyone, and will be on the next green once again with another attempt, but he just can't hole them for whatever reason.

Two comments epitomise that from this week - in response to questions from Tim Barter:

Q. Lee, players are complaining that 18 is too tough?

A. I've hit 8 iron in there twice [he then makes a 'what's the big deal' face and let the words speak for themselves]

Q. Lee, it looks like your puting was letting you down yesterday, have you been trying something overnight to fix it?

A. What do you think I've been doing for that past year?

15/08/2011 at 08:31

I was actually quite impressed by Donald this time. After two soso days he went for it on Saturday and got to with-in a shot of the lead, but stumbled, especially on 18 where went for the pin and found the water. Again on Sunday he went for it but had one bad swing at 15? and again found the water. Donald looked to me like World Number 1, even though he wasn't getting the breaks he was still there challenging.

As for Westwood! I am sick and tired of him moaning about the putts not dropping. There seems to be a mental thing with great ball strikers where they think "real" golf is full swings and that other game, the one with the small stick is not really golf, it's not in their control so it doesn't really matter. Hogan was the same towards the end of his career. It is sad and delusional. 

A 3' foot putt is worth the same as a 350yd driv, the sooner Westy realises this the better. But I think in reality that is the problem, he won't realise it, like most crap putters they make exuses and go back to the range to work on their top class long game, like it's the long game that needs to attention.

15/08/2011 at 08:47
Pengwyn 7.5/\ wrote (see)

A 3' foot putt is worth the same as a 350yd driv, the sooner Westy realises this the better. But I think in reality that is the problem, he won't realise it, like most crap putters they make exuses and go back to the range to work on their top class long game, like it's the long game that needs to attention.

I refer you to my previous comment. Quite clearly he DOES realise his putting is an issue.

With Westwood however it's not the 3 footers, he doesn't seem to have any issue with them - unlike figjam for example - but he does struggle from 8-20 feet, and just doesn't hole his share.

15/08/2011 at 09:03

to me the whole Donald - Westwood and " they're genuine / likely winners of this Major " scenario is not unlike the journalistic expectation levels that gets afforded to the England football team pre Major tournament.

for some reason we're told they're the best so many buy into the hype and start to believe and worst of all expect - the issue with golf is it's a sight more unpredictable than football.

maybe in a few years when the spotlight falls away from Donald & Westwood they'll just casually drift into a Major win when nobody is expecting it ?  ...  who'd have thought Clarke would have ever won a Major ? (other than himself)

15/08/2011 at 10:23
Sometimes your name is one the trophy , sometimes it isnt...........it just wasnt their day/week.....
15/08/2011 at 11:00

They are no1 & no2 in the world, so I guess they're half decent golfers .

Westwood has never been the best of putters but, like Sergio, gives himself so many chances he does have exceptionally good weeks. His record in Majors in the last 2 years is stunningly good, i.e. in the top 5, and no one comes anywhere near that for consistency. Yes he can win a Major.

Luke Donald has been a little off form with the putter for a few weeks, and the odd iron shot going astray hasn't helped.  Will Donald win a Major? I think he's a better player than Westwood by some margin, and yes he can win a Major.

Darren Clarke was so far down the rankings, prior to his Open win, to be almost on the 2nd page of the rankings. If he can win a Major, with the very average form he was displaying prior to the Open, then why can't Westwood and Donald win a Major? 

15/08/2011 at 12:01

Personally I can't ever see Westwood winning a major. He just isn't a good enough putter (he is so wooden, he needs to loosen up a bit and let them go) 

Donald on the other hand I believe can. He has all the required assets, except for a bit of a question mark over his driving, whcih seems a touch erratic and probably the reason he hasn't done it yet.

15/08/2011 at 12:18

another slant on things ....

will Jason Dufner ever come as close again to winning a major ?

who can say ?   ...   for a guy that hadn't got past the cut mark in 4 previous Tour events he came within 4 holes yesterday of walking away with the USPGA

suprise to me was that he didn't hold his nerve (which prior to the 15th looked solid) and carry on to win.

15/08/2011 at 13:13

Although Westwood and Donald are numbers 1 and 2 in the world, they win probably about 5 tournaments a year between them. Statistically this means that their chances of winning a major are not great. So it's no surprise that they don't win a major in my mind. Their not great players way ahead of the field such that they are guaranteed to win majors. If you look at the last 3 years I think we've had a different winner for each one. It just depends on who gets hot with the putter that week, or has an incredible ball striking week, or whatever. Their chances of winning are better than many, but in the end I don't think it's because they're bottling it, or are not made for the majors - in fact they tend to finish high up the field.

Compare to tennis. The winners of the slams are winning regularly on the tour. Statistically they are way ahead of the field and this shows up in the slams too.

15/08/2011 at 13:29

^

You cannot compare golf to tennis, golf you play against everyone in the field, tennis ou play 5 matches and can avoid 1/2 of the top seeds.

I think Westwood is more likely to win a Major than Donald, its his putting that is awful, whereas Donald has already has a great all round game......but can lack distance. When your opponent is hitting wedges to a green and your hitting 7 irons it makes it tough.

JMD
15/08/2011 at 15:21
Going by who's won the majors this year basically anyone who's in the field can do it so absolutely the two can win one, if Westwood keeps plugging away he can't be that far away.
In my opinion it's a sad day for the short putter, anyone using the long one should be competing in a different event in my eyes but guess that's for debate in another thread.

Now depressed it's all over for another year, now were are my winter mitts, not!!
15/08/2011 at 15:30

Westwood seems to lack that extra gear to get the job done. No doubt his mundane putting does not help. As for Donald, he is still young enough to snatch a major or two. Donald has the bottle to win majors and he is not so short off the tee either. I am and have always been convinced that every dog has his day, just ask Darren Clarke. It is very difficult to pick a winner these days as there are so many players who are capable of winning. Look at the final position of the USPGA, the highest ranked player in the top twenty of the betting was Adam Scott, who finsihed about 7th place - top 20! 

Young guns coming off the challenge tour are ready to win on the main tour and majors do not appear to frighten them. Times have changed my friend. 

16/08/2011 at 08:27
Paul W wrote (see)

to me the whole Donald - Westwood and " they're genuine / likely winners of this Major " scenario is not unlike the journalistic expectation levels that gets afforded to the England football team pre Major tournament.

for some reason we're told they're the best so many buy into the hype and start to believe and worst of all expect - the issue with golf is it's a sight more unpredictable than football.

Can't see the similarity at all. Westwood & donald are #1 & #2 in the world and have won heaps of events, therefore are without doubt genuine contenders in every major.

The England football team are vastly over-rated, and despite being seeded in every event, never get past thier seeded status - ie. last 8.

16/08/2011 at 08:58
Just had a quick check and there's still a hole in my a**e, so the answer is no.
16/08/2011 at 13:19

strange that you needed to check Diablo!

re Donald & Westwood, it seems like such a media circus with them now it's getting totally out of hand. it's getting the same for andy murray in tennis (although rather different circumstances).

Westwood - amazing ball striker so he'll normally feature among the top 10 on difficult courses, which is where Majors tend to be played. however, given that 3 are in the US normally on very fast hard greens, you need to putt exceptionally to win one. Westwood will either need to putt out his boots one week or just play such good golf that he wins anyway (less likely but McIlroy has the potential to win in this fashion).

Donald - bit shorter off the tee and slightly more erratic, but basically pretty steady, plus an incredible short game. he's also about 5 years younger the Westwood, and this year has won at least tournaments. so i slightly favour Donalds chances.

the overall standard is so high that many players can have a good week and win. more than anything, the guy who wins needs a bit of luck. sure keegan Bradley played well, but first, Dufner finished with 4 bogeys in reg play to the 18th and second, Bradley got a bit lucky on 17 & 18 in the play off (just carrying the water, esp on 18) but fair play to him he won it. darren clarke played awesome at the Open but anyone could see he massively had the weather in his favour - look at the conditions rickie fowler had for almost all 4 rounds being in the opp half of the draw. 

why should westwood and donald win or have more chance or winning than players like hunter mahan, nick watney, adam scott etc etc there are just so many good players out there. maybe they won't win a major. they both seem like great guys who have had outstanding careers and conduct themselves well and are trying there hardest. if they don't win a major, then to a degree, so what?!

16/08/2011 at 15:31

It's good to check, to make sure it's still there and also to make sure I'm not talking out of it.

16/08/2011 at 20:03
fatshaft wrote (see)

I refer you to my previous comment. Quite clearly he DOES realise his putting is an issue.

With Westwood however it's not the 3 footers, he doesn't seem to have any issue with them - unlike figjam for example - but he does struggle from 8-20 feet, and just doesn't hole his share.

I have no doubt he knows it's a problem, it's what he does about it that matters.

And practising the odd hour here and there doesn't really cut it. Even if it means falling down the rankings he needs to go away and work on his short game and putting. Otherwise he will be another "what a shame, he never lived up to his potential". 

Who knows maybe he will fall into one when the field collapse. 

But more likely he will end up like Monty.