Courses near Penrith

20/05/2009 at 12:12

Hi all,

off to Centre Parcs near Penrith in a couple of weeks and have negotiated a day away playing golf.

Anyone recommend any decent local tracks we can play (midweek)?

Thanks.

20/05/2009 at 13:00

Can I suggest you check out this thread Center Parcs

20/05/2009 at 13:43
Haven't played Penrith GC but it is supposed to be very good. Eden GC near Carlisle is a decent course but apparently was badly flooded over the winter and the greens were relaid I've heard. Not sure of its present condition...
20/05/2009 at 14:45
Thanks for the replies, I'll take a look at the earlier thread.
20/05/2009 at 19:36

Penriths is the closest and its in not bad nick at the moment and I'd recommend it.

Appleby is slightly further away and also in good condition.

I played Carlisle last Monday as well and condition was okay - its about 25 miles from Centre Parcs and in that radius its probably my favourite. They do the Open Fairways passport on a Monday which brings the cost down.

I'm playing Keswick on Saturday for the first time in years so I'll see what its like then. If it keeps raining like it has done we'll need waders though.

Eden allegedly lost 6 greens last year after they tried to cut them in poor weather. Prior to that it had been in nice condition and getting better each year. I haven't played it in a while as I'd rather not put money in the course owners pocket, but thats a personal thing.

21/05/2009 at 08:39

At this time of year and after the recent rain the very best option is to head for the coast. The top course in Cumbria and the best value is Silloth-on-Solway which is about 45 mins easy drive from Center Parcs. You won't even have a speck of mud on your shoes afterwards. The course is superb for all, but "occasional" golfers will struggle, especially if it's windy.

Keswick will pssibly be far too boggy, Penrith will be fine unless there is more rain,ditto Windermere. It is too early for Carlisle and Eden to be at their best.

Penrith GC is only 5 mins away and Appleby only 15 mins. If you're stuck for time these are your best options. Penrith is more manicured but Appleby has much better greens at this time of year.

Let's know what you decide and how you get on !

21/05/2009 at 13:58

I played Penrith GC last September after a particularly heavy period of rain, and apart from the 1st and 2nd fairways the course was in great nick and we had a great time.

During the same week we also played Keswick which was an awful course and was so bwet and boggy I would avoid it like a bargepole.

Your say
email image