FAO Ian (Bowood Ian that is)

13 messages
17/08/2007 at 09:30
Ian,

I am off to Bowood on Monday with my society, only 16 of us. Just had a quick look at the website of Bowood and would like to know if the "interactive" shots of the course are representative of the reality? The photos appear to show a fairly open parkland course, but I have been fooled by other websites in the past.

Any tips??

Any other members who have played there, please feel free to chip in. I have a reason for needing informatio, my club handicap is 15, but I have been cut to 10 in the society, so need all the help I can get. :O)
17/08/2007 at 10:00
It is quite open parkland in places.....But after the first cut of rough, the big rough is waist high. Go in there an it's lost ball!

Big greens and big bunkers. Mostly the trouble is in front of the green so "be up!" if in doubt alway hit more club.

Stay out of the bunkers. They are struggling with all the rain. Meant to be rennovated this year, but hasnt happened.

Certain holes are 3 wood not driver. Esp the par 5s. You can't get on them in 2 so ensure you play the 2nd shot from the fairway! (3rd and 4th especially) The long par 3s on the front nine are long!! So if it needs a wood to get on, use it! Don't cut the corner off on the 11th. Aim at the distant bunker with a small fade (if you can) Right is OB!

Buy a yardage book (or used skycaddie) Distances on the book are to the front. BIG greens so rememebr to add the distance to pin (could be 2 or 3 club difference!)

have fun, Hope the sun shines!
17/08/2007 at 10:18
Ian, thank you very much! I will try to follow your advice, can't guarantee the slight fade, though! Natural shot is a draw, all attempts at fades end as either a huge slice, or massive pull! :)

I'm looking forward to Monday, just hope that we are as lucky with the weather then as we were when we played the Players recently:)
17/08/2007 at 10:31
Where are you based if you played the Players?

I think the "good" holes at Players are more "visual" than Bowood. Overall I think I prefer Bowood, but it is not a lo in it. Espcially as the Players matures...

I assume you'll be off yellows on Monday - much shorter but brings more fairway bunkers into play!
17/08/2007 at 10:48
Ian - Member at Newbury & Crookham, a course a bit like I'm rumoured to be - short but tight :O) (in the financial sense, if you get my drift).

We played the whites at The Players, but they do have rather a lot of tees! There are a few blandish holes at the Players, 11, 12 & 17 amongst them, but in the main I enjoyed the day & the course.

In the recent past, have played Kendleshire, Players, Kingswood, Ogbourne, Coombe Manor, Erlestoke, Tidworth, Burnham Berrow.

Have managed to avoid Wragg Barn, the Wiltshire & Broome Manor ( at least in the 3 years or so!)
17/08/2007 at 12:17
I like N&C when I was there - nice old club. Overdue a revisit! Invites accepted!

You will enjoy Bowood
17/08/2007 at 12:17
I like N&C when I was there - nice old club. Overdue a revisit! Invites accepted!

You will enjoy Bowood
17/08/2007 at 14:14
Really trying to make a point there??

Int the throes of a house move at the mo, but rest assured we'll get you (& the wife?) on to N&C soon.

Ta again, Nick
17/08/2007 at 14:36
One final point. Keep going, whatever the score.

Some socs there are won with 32 points and less!!
17/08/2007 at 16:20
Played up at Bowood at the start of the month in the Audi Quattro regional qualifying final, didnt think we had done too bad with 34 points in 4 ball better ball with 3/4 handicap allowance, only to see when we returned to clubhouse a score of 46 points! this was from a mixed team with a combined handicap of 6, i think they were 5 under gross after 6 holes or something ridiculous like that. Nothing under 38 points was in with a chance. Nice course though, if you keep it in play - ie out of the long stuff - there are scores to be had, played conservatively most of the way round, dont forget to play straight for the pin on most occasions as there are some big steps in the greens, especially the uphill par 3, i think it was the 11th or 12th, 2 of my playing partners failed to make their first putts up the bank.
17/08/2007 at 19:04
Thanks all - will report back on Tuesday.
20/08/2007 at 22:26
Well - nearly right Ian! Day won with 35 points! Personally managed 30, playing off 5 shots low, so claiming a moral draw:)

Course in pretty good nick, and rough not so much long, but very ball concealing! Advice came in handy , so much so that I managed 3 birdies, but spent much time looking for fellow players lost balls, he is a very long, but often wayward, driver.

Once again, thanks for the info, we all had a great day, with only one small shower at the start of the round.
21/08/2007 at 08:38
The rough isnt so high now, the heavy rain has flattened it! (I kid you not) Another couple of weeks and they cut it for animal feed!

Glad you had a good day!
Your say
email image
13 messages
Golfmagic on Twitter