24 posts / 0 new
Last post
Suggestions for winter golf in Scotland
HELP NEEDED HERE GUYS AND GALS.
Im looking for a course to play that has its fairways and greens on during the winter season.I play in a small golf society and we were hoping to find a course to play a winter compettition on.I am based in cental Scotland but we would travel anywhere in Scotland to have a game.Any help/suggestions would be gratefully accepted.
Many thanks Andy.

FIFE

Glenisla at Alyth is usually on full tees/greens year round and Drumoig in Fife is great for the winter.

Drumoig is only closed if it's physically covered in snow, otherwise full greens etc all year!

Andy Played Drumoig a few weeks ago and it is a lovely course with a few challenging holes, well worth a visit for winter golf. Was kind of hoping the next GM Scotland Outing was held here

Both of these are in Fife and will be played using full tees/fairways/greens, no mats in sight.Charelton Golf Club @

Craigielaw (Aberlady) - http://www.craigielawgolfclub.com/green%20fees.htmWeekday round (Nov - Feb)

Scotscraig ,Elie, Leven.Montrose,etc etc etc

Andy, am i mistaken in believing that links courses play full course all year round?

You are mistaken. The only links course that I have been able to play without dropping to the side or to temp green's or a combination of both is my course, Turnberry.

Kinghorn in fife is usually full course. you are more likely to get full course on a links course in the winter though.

Sory I ment to say the only links courses that I play a lot in the winter are Turnberry, Lochgreen , Darley & Kilmarnock Barassie.

You guys obviously know your courses in Scotland. If you haven't already, it would help us - and other golfers looking for a game north of the border - to review the courses you've played in our GM user-reviews for a chance to win one of two pairs of Stuburt shoes we give away every month. Mention, too, whether, in your experience, they play on full or temporary greens during the winter months.We've already got over 2,000 course reviews in the system but that's never enough to satisfy the demand for information, especially when travelling around Scotland - and some the more remote courses still need a review. Thanks in anticipation we look forward to hearing from you. ED

SkankyShanky

So John, when are we going to get a GM group invite to Turnberry :-) ??

Hi Andy why dont you try Crail the seventh oldest Club in the world with a choice of two courses,if it is'nt frosty courses will be open. We even have a winter Membership for six months.The east coast of Scotland is always the best in winter cheers.

Thanks very much for your suggestions guys,i have taken a note of all of the suggestions and will put them forward to the rest of the lads. Once again you have come up with the goods,Thanks .Andy

Cruden Bay and Fraserburgh play full course

Any of the Gullane courses, The Glen at North Berwick, anywhere down the eat coist works....also whitekirk does a winter membership...

fort william golf course is still on full greens and fairways

Cardrona near Peebles -

When I was a member at Fraserburgh (until 1982) they used to take 4 holes out of commission in winter and use the 4 hole course across the road to complete 18 holes.I know the 4 holer across the road is now an 9 hole course in it's own right.Do they still do something like this or has drainage improved such that they don't need to?It's a fine course - short in yardage, but if the wind is blowing...

I'd look at Gullen to the East of Edinburgh. 3 links courses but not flat, course No1 being especially good (and expensive) No2 is fine, No3 still good. Plays all year with great views down the Forth in a micro climate, never seems to rain....The Old Clubhouse is now a pub and does great food... Great atmoshere too.

Check out yourgolftravel.com for a great offer at Turnberry

fort william golf course is now on winter greens and tees