Beginner looking to add a few clubs to my collection

18 messages
15/04/2012 at 23:09

Been going down the driving range ever since i was a little kid, had a few lessons but kinda moved onto other things.

However i have just found out that a lot of my mates actually play golf which I didn't have a clue about, so I want to sort of get into it again as a bit of a hobby and fun thing to do, especially in the summer.

I started going down the driving range again about a year ago and was using some old clubs that the driving range would lend to me everytime i wen't, so decided to start off and buy myself a driver. In the end i bought a 2nd hand King Cobra speed LD f/10.5* club, the one that makes a really weird 'ting' sound. To cut a long story short i like the driver as it is the only one i've ever used and so far can hit about 200 yards with it in a straight line when i actually concentrate, bearing in mind i have been to the driving range about twice since i bought the club.

Now i want to start getting a few more clubs, but being a student i don't want to go out and buy a full set. I was just wondering what clubs i need to get myself going, remember i already have a driver. I am looking in the future to start playing maybe a 9 hole course as i have one very local to me to get me into things and then maybe one day a full 18. 

I've been doing a lot of reading but can't find anywhere that really says what clubs a beginner should look to get without getting a full set. I was mainly looking at a 3 wood, then a 19* hybrid, then a PW and then a putter, but would this be too little. Oh and i will mainly be buying these clubs second hand, as i would rather get a good quality club 2nd hand than a cheap one brand new, so what brands are there to look out for?

Any help is appreciated, Thanks

16/04/2012 at 00:57

Off to a good start with "quality second hand instead of cheap new",

I would add that there are some brands that are very good and "quite cheap" brand new so would make evn better value 2nd hand, Benross and MD golf spring to mind.

As a beginner I would suggest leaving the 3 wood till last, but if you can get a half set of irons you wont of spent too much before being certain you've got the golf bug. Also make sure you buy clubs to suit your current ability, (cavity backs and probably regular shafts).

Good luck.

16/04/2012 at 07:33

I'm selling a couple of Vokey wedges in the classifieds and CS has a couple of MD Golf wedges for sale too. I also have a set of Titleist 735cm's for sale just now and will have a set of AP1's available soon too.

16/04/2012 at 08:47

Thanks for thr advice and offers.

I didnt really think about getting irons yet because i heard the lower irons such as 3-4 are hard to hit for a beginner, hench why i was going to go with a hybrid. But from having a look around it seems you can't buy individual irons, so the only way i can get some is if i get a full set. And i find my swing with an iron is poor compared to as of that with a wood, but i do find my accuracy is alot better, i just struggle to find distance.

So do you think i should get irons first, bearing in mind i will be putting in a lot of hours down the driving range before i hit the course?

16/04/2012 at 09:04

Personally i'd have said the irons were one of the first things to buy tbh. The AP1's i'll have for sale are actually 5-PW so not a "full" set as such, but if you go the hybrid route, then in a way it suits...

16/04/2012 at 10:35

ooo i like ap1s how much are they?

16/04/2012 at 11:59
Probably just under ??200 delivered, but I'm waiting on epoxy turning up. I've still to decide which shafts to fit to them as well...
16/04/2012 at 16:26

Ok mate cheers for the advice. I think my next purchase will be a set of irons then, and a bag to keep everything in. Should i worry about getting a putter yet? Because i saw a deal that my mate showed bellow which looks good value. Bit gutted tho that last week it was only £39.99

http://www.onlinegolf.co.uk/product/Taylor-Made-Golf-Classic-Est-79-Putter/p83610.aspx?ad=awindow

and also does anyone have an recommendations for irons for someone of my ability, remember i want to go down the decent 2nd hand route rather than the cheap brand new. I hear taylormade r9's are pretty good, and David McD i have heard good things about the AP1's but i would have to persuade myself to spend 200 quid on some irons so early on haha.

16/04/2012 at 16:32

Price will probably be more like £170-180, but no worries, completely understand. 

17/04/2012 at 00:41

I'll have a look round and will come back to you on the offer mate, would you say the titleist clubs are good for a beginner, like nice and forgiving? 

Looks like the hunt for irons begins! So if anyone has any to recommend or any advice then please fire away haha

17/04/2012 at 01:30

I agree with Paddy, get a putter and practice, sure it looks wonderful booming a drive xxx hundred yards, but you will be so peeved if you then duff the short approach, chip it 30 yards past hole then miss your 4th putt at only 3 feet.

Where abouts do you live jak? I have a bag, irons (3 to sw), 3 and 4 hybrid replacement irons, 52 deg wedge, heel and toe putter, 12 deg driver and 3 wood, all Ben Sayers M2i, all right handed (not the bag before someone comments ), but never put them on the bay because couldn't be arsed working out postage.

18/04/2012 at 17:46

I live in the west midlands mate by wolverhampton.

I have seen a set of irons, the wilson d-fy set, that people have been talking about saying they are great for beginners and really forgving and are mainly used by people with a slow club swing. i have seen a used set on ebay with the half and half shafts, half graphite half steel going for £175. And also a brand new set with steel shafts for 200.

Does anyone have any feedback on these, or are they better clubs out there for the money?

18/04/2012 at 19:02

Aha, just up the M6 from me, I live in Solihull.

I cant offer any feedback about the wilsons, never seen them in use, but if you were interested in my stuff, you could have the lot for £80.

By all means ask the other GMers if thats a fair offer, and let me know.

BTW the irons are the TDF variation of the M2i's with graphite shafts.

Alternatively, there is a great little shop not far from me called The Golf Centre on the Stratford Road in Hall Green, he regularly has really good deals on all golf stuff (undercuts the nearby American golf and European golf shops).

19/04/2012 at 11:49

yeh i actually live just next to dudley so not far at all

Thanks for the offer as well, i have had a few so need to try and figure whats best

Just really want to know if anyone has had any experience with the wilson d-fy iron/hybrid set. For the price they seem to be exactly what i want, especially replacing the long irons with hybrids. But i hear they are suited to people with slower swings, and im just worried as i progress they won't be that good for me anymore, and i'm not one who enjoys forking out money every year on new gear haha.

I just want the best of both worlds really, good decent beginner clubs that are a good price, yet if i progress will still be able to hack it. 

19/04/2012 at 17:11

Fair comment.

I would suggest that if your looking at spending upto £200 on irons, goto a few shops with ranges, and hit as many different irons in your price range as you can before splashing out on something yu've never hit. Try a few a bit beyond your price range as well, hopefully you can get them cheaper elsewhere. (The Mizuno MX 100 and 200's or Ping G10's for example would last most players from beginner down to a high single figure handicap)

Everyones opinions on here and elsewhere are individual experiences and may not match your own, ( I have had a go with my friends ping anser irons, rrp £995, look gorgeous but I cant hit them for sh!t, but then he plays off 3 and I'm off 19).

You certainly appear to have the correct mindset to be on a good start, (quality 2nd hand over cheap new), and yes hybrids are considerably easier to use than long irons (I have a 3, 4 and 5 iron hybrid), but also consider the other end of the distance scale, decent wedges will get lower scores more so than decent hybrids. i.e if you're deadly from 100 yards in, it dont matter that your mates hybrid goes 10 yards further.

My regular partner is at least one club longer than me, but on our regular course his best score is 21 over par, mine is 8. In the past 18 months he has bought 5 drivers but his wedges are from sports direct about 3 years ago. Okay to be fair that is mostly down to his game rather than the equipment but hopefully you get my point.

22/04/2012 at 02:11

Finally made a purchase.

Went for these in the end: 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320861436776?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_530wt_1153

Think it is a pretty good deal as well, decent price, good beginner clubs and should last me a while. 

Is there any other clubs i would need now to bridge gaps? i have a gap from my 10.5* driver to the 19.5* hybrid, so maybe get a 3 wood? Then i think i will look into wedges, maybe a 52* and 56*, then a putter to finish things off.

So can anyone point me in the right direction for 3 woods and wedges, on a budget still remember haha

22/04/2012 at 08:23

Don't make the same mistake I did once with wedges. Check the loft of your irons before deciding what wedge degrees suit you best. The PW's loft can vary widely from one set to another. For example you may find the gap between the PW you bought and the 52* too much. You will only know when you check the lofts.

I would never go down the road of advising people on what to buy (mostly because I don't have enough experience), however between here (classifieds section) and ebay you will not be short of options. Narrow down the ones for sale in your price range and then go and read reviews. They will help you to decide if the club is likely to work for a beginner or not.

Bottom line - without trying them out there is always a gamble in buying of peg. Have a look on online golf. They have some big reductions in clearance line clubs. I saw a 3 wood selling on ebay yesterday (average condition) for more than online golf were offering it new. Hope the buyer never discovers that. Best of luck

22/04/2012 at 08:43

the force is strong in you, CS

Your say
email image
18 messages
Golfmagic on Twitter