Burner 09 Driver

16/03/2009 at 13:52
Anyone tried the new 09 Burner Driver??????? I was thinking of upgarding from a Hi Bore XLS. I heard they're magic but haven't seen much chat on the forums about them.
16/03/2009 at 15:59
They certainly are magic. They make your money disappear before you can say "wow, that's no better than my last one."
16/03/2009 at 16:48

Martin

I was about to buy a Taylormade R9 with the new Fujikura Motore 65 gramme shaft but I went into AG at Biggleswade today and tested the new Burner with the Fujikura Re-Ax 49 gramme shaft against it-both drivers 10.5 degrees.

Perhaps I was FIVE yards longer with the R9 but the Burner flew as straight as an arrow and felt magnificent out of the head. Probably with my swing speed of 88-90 mph the lighter shaft in the Burner may suit me slightly better. So does the £130 difference in the marked price!! This is one I believe that Colinski has really got wrong!

16/03/2009 at 16:53

Local driving range shop now has:

Burner (old type)

Burner Draw (old type)

Burner (09)

Tour Burner

Tour Burner TP

R9

R7 Limited

R7 CGB Max

R7 CGB Max Limited

R7 Superquad (some fairly decent 2nd hand/ex demos)

The choice is just bewildering!

16/03/2009 at 18:18
Tried the Burner against my existing driver and preferred mine. Still a nice driver though and worth testing
16/03/2009 at 18:19
Taylor made really rip the arse out of golf clubs. They seem to have a new range every month. I think Ping have the right attitude and release quality not quantity. But the new 09 burner looks the part and hopefully feels good as well. Anyhow I got a new Burner off e bay for £120 so i can't can't complain. I'll let you know how i got on.
16/03/2009 at 19:00

Martyboo

TM is not exactly the greatest employer either in my experience. If the company looked after its staff better they would certainly stay longer! I suppose nowadays any job is a lot better than nothing!

One thing is for certain, TM do produce IMO more top drivers than any other manufacturer and even top players not contracted to TM have been known to use TM drivers. I reckon that for a slower swinger of a golf club like me the Fujikura Re-Ax shaft is about as good as it gets.

I would be extremely interested in your view of the club.

Edited: 16/03/2009 at 19:00
16/03/2009 at 21:21
boa if they have 10 drivers in circulation it stands to reason they will have some that are good
16/03/2009 at 22:37

Josh

You might be surprised to know that MOST of the TM drivers mentioned in the preceding posts are highly rated by reviewers and tour pros and some of them are considered modern classics. The 580XD I had five years ago -which was stolen-was one of them 

16/03/2009 at 22:40
i know i had a 580XD about 5 years ago i think it was found it in a cash convertors for a fiver
16/03/2009 at 22:44

Josh

That was probably because you were not QUITE good enough to get the best out of it. Also because you did not have a shaft in it that really suited your silky swing! I would bet that it was NOT a Mitsubishi Rayon.

17/03/2009 at 11:53

TM have more drivers in play by non contracted players because they pay tee up money to boost driver counts.

Thats not to say I dislike TM drivers as I have owned them in the past but don't be fooled by driver counts, more often than not money plays a bigger factor.

17/03/2009 at 12:04

I use mainly TM clubs purely as I seem to hit them better, but all the myriad new stuff in the last 2 years hasnt bettered IMO what I already have - the "original" Burner driver and R7XD Titanium faced irons. In fact the stuff I have hit I havent been that impressed with.

The old 580XD and R510TP still take some beating, and while I do like my Burner I am not sure its really any better than either of those drivers. 

17/03/2009 at 12:11

When I went for a driver fitting 18 months ago I went with the set intention of not coming home with a Taylor Made as I had been playing the Burner 860 for a couple of years and fancied a change.

Despite hitting everything else I came home with the R7 Superquad because it was simply better than the rest - for me.

The only time I don't like TM stuff is when they get the face too closed on the draw/game improver stuff but I suppose that is why there are so many options - to appeal to all golfers.

Callaway do exactly the same, I think the last shop I went in to had the FTI, FTIQ, FT 5, T9, Diablo, X460 etc etc and this is not including the draw/neutral options.

Even Titleist now have three drivers in their range, I think it is more manufacturers wanting offer a solution to all potential customers rather than simply wanting people to trade in for the latest and greatest.

17/03/2009 at 13:14

What I don't understand is why they have to sell 6 different drivers...

The drivers are supposed to be suprememly customisable, not only through the shaft and weights but now opening and closing the face etc.

Surely you need a driver for the higher handcap player who wants to minimise the wayward shot and then another for the better player who wants more tinkering options. Each of these would be fitted for the correct shaft to suit the swing type in the first place.

I never understood why anyone would want a draw version of a club... just have a lesson to cure the slice...

17/03/2009 at 13:26
Stuart wrote (see)

I never understood why anyone would want a draw version of a club... just have a lesson to cure the slice...

Because people prefer to think that they can buy their way out of a problem rather than put in the hard work and practise.

17/03/2009 at 13:52

James

Never a truer sentence has ever been posted on GM IMO!

17/03/2009 at 14:00
James Forster (15.4) wrote (see)
Stuart wrote (see)

Because people prefer to think that they can buy their way out of a problem rather than put in the hard work and practise.

I don't like you.....

But I guess the truth hurts...

Better equipments do make the game easier... but it doesn't make your swing any better

17/03/2009 at 14:22

My brother is the classic example. Prior to a trip to Portugal to play golf last year instead of having a lesson, going to the range or even playing bloody golf he spent £200 on a Callaway Hybrid (draw version!) and a TM Sand Wedge as if this would be the answer to his troubles.

He then wondered why he was rubbish when we played!

17/03/2009 at 14:38

James

The Seniors Captain at my Club is one of the most charming and delightful men you could ever meet.

He plays most of his full shots with a sizeable draw, He has a 12 degree off-set driver and wonders why he often hooks with it and hits it high!?