Putters

6 messages
24/04/2012 at 08:29

Hello

I'm after a putter to replace a very old, too long one.  Dave Hicks Putting has been recommended, along with Yes and Gel.  Does anyone have any advice or recent experience for me?

thanks

24/04/2012 at 10:53

Depends what you like. I have always argued that a putter is the most personal item in the bag.

What suits one person may not suit another. A lot of factors including non-technical ones, like trust and appearance affect choice.

One thing is for sure, there is not one putter that can 'objectively' outperform another.

So,f or me, it  has been the type that suits my putting style, found out through trying different types over the years. 

- and then finding one that is so well made, that I can keep it for ever..

24/04/2012 at 12:16

putted for  years with a battered Hotblade Rudder with a lot of sucess but the golf tart in me made me buy a shiny new anser, cant judge distance at all now to the extent i recently 4 putted twice in one round, so the moral of the tale get somthing your happy with and stick with it no matter how tatty it may be and how new and alluring something different may be

24/04/2012 at 15:13

No recent experience but I was fitted by Dave Hicks himself maybe four or five years ago and have nothing but good things to say about the man. He knows his stuff.

His product range is much diminished these days unfortunately and none of his current models suit my eye or personal tastes.....but he can (certainly could) build any of his putters to pretty much any lie angle that you wanted...certainly when I visited him he had heads available from 65* to 74* lie angles and shafts ready for building there and then from 27" up to around 37" in half inch increments.

Yes on the other hand have a much wider product range these days and you are more likely to find a putter that suits your eye but not all of them offer the ability to adjust lie angle and those that do the lie angle can only be moved a lot less...maybe +/- 2* from standard.

I know of several people who have had positive experiences being fitted by Yes.

Gel I have no knowledge of their product or quality.

24/04/2012 at 19:49
I picked up an Odyssey Metal X #6 today and absolutely loved it. Don't think I can resist. Sound and feel are beautiful.
25/04/2012 at 08:17

Thank you everyone for your help.  It seems that the best advice is try loads and buy one I like the feel of.  I don't have to spend lots of money.

Thanks

Your say
email image
6 messages
Golfmagic on Twitter