Regular of Senior Flex Shafts?

05/04/2013 at 18:28

Hi Folks:

I'm New to this wonderful forum. Thought I'd take advantage of your collective expertise and ask your advice regarding Regular vs. Senior Flex Shafts.

I am an "older" player (mid-late fifties) and a 17.8 handicap with a swing speed of 85-90 MPH with driver.

FYI: I hit driver average of 200-210 yards and use a 5 iron on shots of 150 yards.

I'm being tempted by a new hybrid iron set and was wondering if perhaps I might be better served with a senior shaft rather than my customary regular flex shaft as I have been told that I'm somewhere on the cusp between the two.

Your thoughts and experiences are greatly anticipated and appreciated.

05/04/2013 at 19:08

I converted to senior shafts some five years ago & found this to be a great adantage.

I am 66 years old & find i can just swing normal & exceed your distances without any

extra effort. My advice would be give them a try, you never know. Good luck.

05/04/2013 at 19:18

Senior.

05/04/2013 at 19:23

My advice would be to go and try teh same head in different shafts side by side and then make up your mind.

05/04/2013 at 22:01
Although I am a senior and use senior shafts, I have to agree with True Blue. You should consider being fitted or at least try the same club with both shafts.
07/04/2013 at 03:10

Thanks to all  for sharing your advise and experience.

Here's what I've decided to do moving forward.

I've purchased the 3hybrid with senior shaft of the set I'm eyeballing and can now give it a full try out on the course where it matters.

Frankly , I'm a tad suspicious of the golf shop computer testing approach and I dont trust hitting into a net as much as hitting it down a fairway. After all, those golf shop guys have a vested interest in selling me clubs while I'm the only stake holder interested in collecting data regarding my swing.  A precarious relationship at best...and a potentially expensive one at that!  

I'll post again once I've played the club for a round or two. That should provide me with a pretty good idea of how my swing responds to a senior flex club, eh? And since it is a 3 hybrid it has the longest shaft of the set so I can truly feel how much "whippyness" there might be and how it translates into my shots.

And again, my thanks to all.

07/04/2013 at 11:47
Depends on your tempo.

I would say regular with your swing speed
07/04/2013 at 12:20
Concur.
Give it a few years before getting re-branded ladies clubs;-)
90mph isn't senior flex territory.
08/04/2013 at 16:57

150 yards with a 5 iron in Winter is very reasonable for an average golfer and would suggest you are right about being on the cusp.

It is worth remembering that when it comes to longer clubs the tendency is swing 'softer' in the first place so senior flex may well be the correct way to go.

08/04/2013 at 18:13
Lou B wrote (see)
Concur.
Give it a few years before getting re-branded ladies clubs;-)
90mph isn't senior flex territory.

THIS.

85-90mph with a driver is right in the mid-regular range.

09/04/2013 at 17:09

Hello Mafia golfer:

My  normal shot pattern tends to be fades and I play a power fade.

This past week I was able to try a driver with senior flex with great results.

The first two tee shots were oddly , hooks but once I got the hang of low and slow I was booming the drives some 10 -20 yards beyond my normal average!! The best of which was a 230 odd yard shot! Happy to say I had a splendid round shooting in the low 80's (I'm still trying to break 80 and have shot 81 five frustrating times!)

Anyway, I'm encouraged by the driver results and look forward with great anticipation to the arrival of the test club 3H senior flex later this week. I will promptly take it through its paces on the course and report back to the kind readers of this thread.

Thanks again to all here for sharing your experience and wisdom.  

17/04/2013 at 05:53

Hello folks:

I'm reporting back in order to put some closure on this thread.

I did indeed purchase a senior flex 3 hybrid and took it to the range to beat a few buckets of balls.  I must say that the results were delightful as my shots were consistently higher in trajectory and most importantly far more accurate. In fact I startled the folks at the range (as well as myself) by hitting the flag I was aiming at some 170 yards away. LOL

Needless to say, I then proceeded to purchase that new hybrid iron set I had my eye on in Senior flex, played a couple of rounds and loved the results. I find that the senior flex truly rewards slow smooth swings with tempo and this prevents me from having to swing out of my shoes with poor results.  The slower swing seems to attain equal or better distance, is far more consistent since I am more apt to hit it pure, etc.

In other words, it's all good!  Loving my clubs, loving my more consistent contact and now working to dial in the new distances for each club which should take a few more rounds and visits to the range.

Thanks again to all who shared their experience and/or advice.

I'm one very happy golfer!

Fairways and greens, mates.

Stogies.

17/04/2013 at 07:22
Like I said, Senior!

I'm glad you're happy.
18/04/2013 at 04:28

Yup....just as you said, SP.

Senior it is!  LOL

Thanks for your input.

Cheers.

18/04/2013 at 07:23
Reason I said senior is I've a set of senior shafted irons that I use when my back is giving me grief and I hit them really well.

My swing speed is 100 plus on a good day and dispersion is not an issue if I use a soft shaft.

Now using my Grafalloy blue stiff shafted clubs on a bad day is slice city!
18/04/2013 at 11:51

I was fitted for Ping X-stiffs this year, which performed virtually like-for-like with S300s during the fitting process.

From what I was told at the time if you want more distance then play the softest shaft in your 'ball park'. So if it's a choice between Soft Reg and Reg. Go Soft Reg!

Ultimately, he reckoned that most average handicappers aren't aiming at the flag enough to be that worried about the dispersion differences a better play might notice. For slower swingers, it seems to be more about finding the shaft that provides the best contact – subsequently the carry distance is improved.

19/04/2013 at 04:02

Righto, MatW:

In the course of my research of this subject I read in numerous places that one should play the softest shaft they can handle and that something like 80% of golfers are playing the wrong shaft.

My experience with these clubs supports your premise as I am equal to or better in terms of distance but much, much better interms of accuracy as I hit the ball much higher with an easy smooth tempo swing and consequently make much better contact on the clubface.

It has truly made the game a joy to play as I no longer feel any need to swing out of my shoes and now simply let the clubs do the work.

22/04/2013 at 15:40
Sounds like you've found a good combo fella!
23/04/2013 at 08:55
mafiagolfer wrote (see)

R,S,X 

surely there is a better way

If you are getting the clubs fitted by a competent golf fitter or doing it yourself there are 2 steps between each of those flexes and of course between R and A flex.

28/11/2013 at 02:23

I am 57 years old and currently a 12 handicap.  Last year I was fitted for a Stiff shaft due to swing speed of 100 which is not the fastest in the world, but this is what the golf pro told me.  I could not get past 215-225 on my drive and was very frustrated.  I purchased a Ping G15 Regular shaft from a friend and thought I would give it a shot.  I played 9 holes (due to rain fall) and averaged 250 - 260 yards per drive..............and hit every fairway straight as an arrow.   I never hit a golf ball that far or straight consistently in my life.  I went to the driving range to validate whether it was a fluke and sure enough I was hitting the same distance.  I was happy.  I got home to clean the club and lo and behold, found that it was a Soft -R which is Ping's equivalent of a Senior shaft.  So much for swing speed and a Stiff shaft. Senior Flex is the way to go.  Forget ego and try this flex.  Trust me, your reacquaint yourself with your ego as soon as you out drive the others you are with.