Tiger predicts even more loft on wedges

What's in your bag- wedgewise?

What wedges do you carry? Have you enlisted the aid of even more loft than the traditional 60-degrees? Ever been penalised - or penalised yourself - for carrying too many clubs?

I have a 60 degree wedge. Hardly ever use it tbh.I only just realised the other day that I had been carrying 15 clubs

This is getting silly - Seve had it right, there should be a max loft on wedges. I'd suggest 56deg.I have a 60deg LW, but can't hit it consitently. I also have a 56deg, but right now I've got no higher than the SW from iron set. Since having my pitching technique tweaked at a recent lesson, I find that I hit the ball higher. High enough to flip over a bunker to a tight pin with my SW.

56 max for me. TBH I do just as well with 53 deg. Any higher costs me shots. (9hcap presently, perhaps better players can exploit it better).

I use a 58 and would not like someone imposing a 56 degree ban.Why should there be?

Just use a 56* for all my shots from 80yds in. I have a 64* that I like but rarely carry it, really only on a links course.

I have a 60 Degree and its great...but I can't see the logic in limiting the ammount of loft... Like these high lofted clubs aint that easy to use...

I have a 54 and 60 Vokeys. Love the 60, but only use for escape or bunker shots.

Plenty of wedges that get swapped depending on conditions, 60* lob wedge is always in the bag but sometimes change my set up, gap wedge can make way for another utility or change my 56* sand wedge for a 54* to better cover yardages

60 degree LW, used mainly out of soft sand. Will also use it only plateau green approaches (when hitting the front bank stops it dead), or as a strange lay-the-face-open-and-chip-with-it action - try it, it's pretty good when you've got a quick shot that could easily get away from you

i had a 64 for a while but didnt really like it, i now use a 60 vokey once or twice a round and its good fun, when i get my new irons i will be dropping to a 58 tho maybe even a 56 but not sure

I carry a pencil bag at min, have a 50 & 54 Vokey, that does me.Will swap the 54 for a 56 when ££ permits, not a fan of 60* wedges, i like to open the face or hit a different shot. Play a links were you dont get thick lies around the green, bump and run for me !

for me a 53 degree gap and a 56 sand. Regulating degree's of loft seems pointless if you ask me.

Recently experimented with 48*, 52*, 56* (SW) and 60* all it did for me is leave me with a quandry every time I was within 100 yards.  48* and 60* were retired to the garage to join  with the 64* that I bought years ago and gave up with shortly afterwards.

Pasty: Well put....I take my hat off to anyone who can use a 68 degree club to good effect....

pasty wrote (see)

McStumpy wrote (see)

This is getting silly - Seve had it right, there should be a max loft on wedges. I'd suggest 56deg.I have a 60deg LW, but can't hit it consitently.

Loads of people say this, but just using your post as an example.Why should there by a maximum loft??On one hand you get the club golfers whingeing that they can't use a lob wedge "because it's too difficult" but on the other hand they then say that higher lofted wedges should be banned "because they make it too easy".Need to make your mind up guys! I think players should be free to use whatever lofts they want, if they want to sacrifice a longer club for a 64, 68 degree club then they will live and die by that decision.

I'm coming at this from a pro golf angle. Yes, us mere mortals find it harder to hit lofted wedges, and for a pro to hit one consistently suggests an element of skill. However, given that a pro should be capable of hitting a 60 or 64 deg consistently, would you not say that it makes the short game a little easier than it used to be - is it not easier to flip a LW shot over a bunker than open up the face on a SW?Or, would you argue that such clubs are necessary, as modern pro event pin positions are more severe tha they used to be?Taking your last point a little further, perhaps the answer is to reduce the number of clubs allowed to 13? For us amateurs, I think that would have little impact - I'd guess there are many that don't carry 14, and there are ofte stories about players heading out with half a set and scoring better? Then, as you say, the decision to sacrifice a longer club for a lofted wedge becomes more interesting.It's a dichotomy, though - as a hacker, I'm looking to get all the help I can from my clubs. As a fan of pro tournament golf, I'd like to see the more creative players coming to the fore.

I think that of all the equipment advances ruining the pro game, wedge angles are the least of our worries. Like McStumpy I like to see creative, skillful shotmaking - and to me, Mickelson flopping a 64* wedge over a bunker and onto the green is creative and skillful.When I first heard of lob wedges I bought a cheap one to see what the fuss was all about, it turned out to be a 64*. I played it once or twice but found that it was all too easy to waft it under the ball and go precisely nowhere. Nowadays I use 54* and 58* wedges.Personally, I reckon 12 clubs would be plenty - but my dread of being at a disadvantage means I always take 14 in comps (but never 15 - yet at least)!

i have enough trouble picking 14 only to use, 15 would be nice, and yes i do use most clubs each round, there isnt one that is never used.

Agree PAsty.more than 10 clubs is superfluous.If they want to make the game harder for pro's then drop the max clubs to 12 and see what gets dropped.When most of them can hit 5 irons in the region of 200yds, do they really need 4 and 3 irons ???Shotmaking isn't lost yet but it is becoming less important. Less clubs would up it in the priorities.

I got me a 64 degree wedge as a trial (from Forgan, suprisingly good quality) and its superb out of the bunker.Granted its a one trick pony but a usefull one at that,it saves you having to open the club up as its loft is preset. I don't use it around the greens or for chips as I use my new best friend (cleveland niblick)

I use Ping G10 48 PW andPing Tour W 52deg 12 bounceandPing Tour W 58deg 10 bounceCan play lob/flop shot well with wide open clubface using 58deg as long as lie is not bareEasy shot  as long as you practise it

I don't practice it, no need with the 64. Anyhow NM has a great practice bunker unlike my local courses

^^^^We have two practice bunkers at Newmachar - on Sunday one was full of sand and the other full of water!!!

I have 3 wedges. The standard pitching wedge which came with the iron set and 2 additional Wilson Staff TW7 wedges, a 52 degree gap wedge and a 58 degree lob wedge. The gap wedge is my favourite club! It's adapts so well to the vast majority of green side shots. I use the lob wedge as my sand wedge to keep with in the 14 club rule. It's fine for the shorter shots around the green or where you need to get the ball up real quickly, but I struggle hitting it full out, just can't control the distance! Sometimes it'll go 75 yards, others it'll top 100! All in all though, the TW7's are the best wedges I've played to date and I've tried plenty! I think the only ones I've never played are the Titleist Vokey range as I couldn't justify the cost!

i use 3 wedges a 48 deg CG10, 54 deg CG12 and a crappy old dunlop 64 . I do most  of my green aproch shots with the 48,  chipping with the 54 and only use the 64 when ive made a real mess of things.  eg yeaterday used it a couple of times to get out of a ditch and to get over a tall tree saved my a couple of strokes

i use 4 wedges. mizuno mp 52 pw 47 degree, vokey sm  52 bent 51, 56 bent 55 and 60. i like having the choice which to use. dropped my 3,4 iron for got two rescues 18 and 23. so my bag looks like this:- taylormade superquad tp  10.5 degree soon to be r9 9.5taylormade burner             13 degreeadams idea pro gold          18 degreeadams idea pro gold          23 degreemizuno mp 52                5-pwvokey sm  51,55,60scotty    circa 62 no2

My god 4 wedges!!!! I think i'm going to go for the Phil mick route and just use 1. The less decisions I have to make on a golf course the better. I'm bad enough with the million and 1 things I'm having to remember about swinging the club, never mind which club to choose.

Hi, new to the forum.

I currently have a 60* wedge but just cannot hit it consistantly, like someone said earlier in this thread, sometimes it goes 50 yards, sometimes 80! It is usually confined to bunkers shots and up n down flicks over bunkers/obstacles.

I keep reading great things about the Vokey's and am considering getting one as I need something shorter than my PW to hit from under 100 yards. My question is what is the "bounce" number quoted on these clubs all about?

Thanks to anyone who responds.

Bounce is the angle that is made by the metal built-up on the sole of the club and the front edge of the club. This is known as the golf wedge bounce angle.  As a general rule of thumb if you play on a course with a harder turf and firmer sand in the traps you should be using wedges with less bounce. The lower amount of bounce will help the clubs leading edge dig down easier into the turf and through the rest of the shot.

Thanks for that wd40 - I'm a bit of a journeyman just now - now course membership yet, so I guess getting a wedge with a middle amount of bounce would be best for the time being. Cheers.