Tiger predicts even more loft on wedges

07/09/2009 at 15:19
What wedges do you carry? Have you enlisted the aid of even more loft than the traditional 60-degrees? Ever been penalised - or penalised yourself - for carrying too many clubs?
07/09/2009 at 15:27

I have a 60 degree wedge. Hardly ever use it tbh.

I only just realised the other day that I had been carrying 15 clubs

07/09/2009 at 16:13

This is getting silly - Seve had it right, there should be a max loft on wedges. I'd suggest 56deg.

I have a 60deg LW, but can't hit it consitently. I also have a 56deg, but right now I've got no higher than the SW from iron set. Since having my pitching technique tweaked at a recent lesson, I find that I hit the ball higher. High enough to flip over a bunker to a tight pin with my SW.

07/09/2009 at 16:32
56 max for me. TBH I do just as well with 53 deg. Any higher costs me shots. (9hcap presently, perhaps better players can exploit it better).
07/09/2009 at 17:05
I suppose Tigger will be sporting a 90 degree wedge soon
07/09/2009 at 18:47

I use a 58 and would not like someone imposing a 56 degree ban.

Why should there be?

07/09/2009 at 19:08
Just use a 56* for all my shots from 80yds in. I have a 64* that I like but rarely carry it, really only on a links course.
07/09/2009 at 19:38
I have a 60 Degree and its great...but I can't see the logic in limiting the ammount of loft... Like these high lofted clubs aint that easy to use...
07/09/2009 at 19:42

I have a 54 and 60 Vokeys.

Love the 60, but only use for escape or bunker shots.

07/09/2009 at 19:47
Plenty of wedges that get swapped depending on conditions, 60* lob wedge is always in the bag but sometimes change my set up, gap wedge can make way for another utility or change my 56* sand wedge for a 54* to better cover yardages
07/09/2009 at 19:58
60 degree LW, used mainly out of soft sand. Will also use it only plateau green approaches (when hitting the front bank stops it dead), or as a strange lay-the-face-open-and-chip-with-it action - try it, it's pretty good when you've got a quick shot that could easily get away from you
07/09/2009 at 22:34

i had a 64 for a while but didnt really like it, i now use a 60 vokey once or twice a round and its good fun, when i get my new irons i will be dropping to a 58 tho maybe even a 56 but not sure

07/09/2009 at 23:36

I carry a pencil bag at min, have a 50 & 54 Vokey, that does me.

Will swap the 54 for a 56 when ££ permits, not a fan of 60* wedges, i like to open the face or hit a different shot. Play a links were you dont get thick lies around the green, bump and run for me !

08/09/2009 at 08:56
for me a 53 degree gap and a 56 sand. Regulating degree's of loft seems pointless if you ask me.
08/09/2009 at 09:01

Recently experimented with 48*, 52*, 56* (SW) and 60* all it did for me is leave me with a quandry every time I was within 100 yards.  48* and 60* were retired to the garage to join  with the 64* that I bought years ago and gave up with shortly afterwards.

08/09/2009 at 09:09
McStumpy wrote (see)

This is getting silly - Seve had it right, there should be a max loft on wedges. I'd suggest 56deg.

I have a 60deg LW, but can't hit it consitently.

Loads of people say this, but just using your post as an example.

Why should there by a maximum loft??

On one hand you get the club golfers whingeing that they can't use a lob wedge "because it's too difficult" but on the other hand they then say that higher lofted wedges should be banned "because they make it too easy".

Need to make your mind up guys!

I think players should be free to use whatever lofts they want, if they want to sacrifice a longer club for a 64, 68 degree club then they will live and die by that decision.

08/09/2009 at 09:21

Pasty: Well put....

I take my hat off to anyone who can use a 68 degree club to good effect....

08/09/2009 at 10:43
pasty wrote (see)
McStumpy wrote (see)

I have a 60deg LW, but can't hit it consitently.

Loads of people say this, but just using your post as an example.

Why should there by a maximum loft??

On one hand you get the club golfers whingeing that they can't use a lob wedge "because it's too difficult" but on the other hand they then say that higher lofted wedges should be banned "because they make it too easy".

Need to make your mind up guys!

I think players should be free to use whatever lofts they want, if they want to sacrifice a longer club for a 64, 68 degree club then they will live and die by that decision.

I'm coming at this from a pro golf angle. Yes, us mere mortals find it harder to hit lofted wedges, and for a pro to hit one consistently suggests an element of skill. However, given that a pro should be capable of hitting a 60 or 64 deg consistently, would you not say that it makes the short game a little easier than it used to be - is it not easier to flip a LW shot over a bunker than open up the face on a SW?

Or, would you argue that such clubs are necessary, as modern pro event pin positions are more severe tha they used to be?

Taking your last point a little further, perhaps the answer is to reduce the number of clubs allowed to 13? For us amateurs, I think that would have little impact - I'd guess there are many that don't carry 14, and there are ofte stories about players heading out with half a set and scoring better? Then, as you say, the decision to sacrifice a longer club for a lofted wedge becomes more interesting.

It's a dichotomy, though - as a hacker, I'm looking to get all the help I can from my clubs. As a fan of pro tournament golf, I'd like to see the more creative players coming to the fore.

08/09/2009 at 11:37

I think that of all the equipment advances ruining the pro game, wedge angles are the least of our worries. Like McStumpy I like to see creative, skillful shotmaking - and to me, Mickelson flopping a 64* wedge over a bunker and onto the green is creative and skillful.

When I first heard of lob wedges I bought a cheap one to see what the fuss was all about, it turned out to be a 64*. I played it once or twice but found that it was all too easy to waft it under the ball and go precisely nowhere. Nowadays I use 54* and 58* wedges.

Personally, I reckon 12 clubs would be plenty - but my dread of being at a disadvantage means I always take 14 in comps (but never 15 - yet at least)!

08/09/2009 at 19:19
i have enough trouble picking 14 only to use, 15 would be nice, and yes i do use most clubs each round, there isnt one that is never used.