What exactly is wrong with the Powerbilt Air Force Driver

25/07/2011 at 17:14

Just about everyone that has hit this driver gets an extra 10-20 yards yet no one seems to buy it.

Why?

I imagined everyone would want extra distance from their driver.  Even Bob hit it further but was lukewarm about it. He should have been over the moon that he had actually found a driver that lived up to its claims.

Is the name wrong?

Embarassed having it in your bag?

What's the problem with it? Is it wildly inaccurate?

Maybe it doesn't deliver the distance despite all the reviews?

Be interested in your answers,

David

Edited: 25/07/2011 at 17:17
25/07/2011 at 17:28
Ha ha.
25/07/2011 at 18:43
Tin Pot wrote (see)
Ha ha.

I suppose that constructive comment takes you nearer Tour Pro (8)!
25/07/2011 at 19:25
Biggest problem is that the only place you can get one is off the net, ebay has a few on there, but I need to try before I buy, now if there was somewhere op norf around here somewhere with a range that sells them I may be tempted till then that extra 20 yds has to be found in my Cleveland!!
25/07/2011 at 19:46
Mindthepond wrote (see
Ditto)
Biggest problem is that the only place you can get one is off the net, ebay has a few on there, but I need to try before I buy, now if there was somewhere op norf around here somewhere with a range that sells them I may be tempted till then that extra 20 yds has to be found in my Cleveland!!
Ditto. Snainton doesn't.
25/07/2011 at 21:27
I must admit that apart from a review in today's golfer ( which I ignore the content of anyway) I haven't ever seen one. I am a self confessed techy when it comes to my clubs, however the proof is in the hitting, if you can't try one at a range or launch monitor then what will make you buy it? Getting 15 or so drivers built to suit different swings and taking them to local clubs for people to try may get them to remove their blinkers regards ping / taylormade / etc being better. Also if they're not selling well I'm sure they'll be plenty of stock to dip into for trial clubs.... If it feels right looks good at address and fires the ball out there who cares who made it IMHO.
25/07/2011 at 21:33
25/07/2011 at 21:54
Seems that the reviewers were impressed but too worried about what their mates would say when they pulled it out the bag on a Saturday round. In their shoes I think I would stick my old drivers head cover on it , whack it the extra 10 - 20 yards and tell my playing partners that it was the zft tees I was using! !
26/07/2011 at 08:34

Looks okay to me in the pics

if it works and its cheap enough then I would use it for sure.......

26/07/2011 at 11:26

I did some work with PowerBilt when they launched the driver so whilst a bit biased, do have a bit of insight.

It is a great driver. All the tests that were done at launch showed a significant increase in distance. In an independent test by several different members of the U.K. media, every player hit the ball further than with their own driver, with the biggest increase being 27 yards. As well as distance, it won 'straightest on test' on the TG driver test last year.

The problem, as stated above, is that very few pro shops took a chance on it. The distributor even offered a free club for Pro shops to trial. Even with this, very few took them up on the offer.

I just think that it arrived at the wrong time. It was launched in the U.K. just as the golf industry started tightening its belt. This led to many potential stockists being less prepared to take a chance on a new brand and to keep their orders to the big brands that they knew would sell.

A real shame as I do think this is a great product. An up side for everyone now is that if you are prepared to take a bit of a chance and order on the internet the prices have come right down for what is genuinely a 'premium' product.

26/07/2011 at 16:53

Good info DavW75. Can you tell us whether there is any significant difference between the really cheap last years model and the new one (N7)?  I know the old air foils had a tendency to explode and the Air foil 2 cured that. 

Incidently, ordering on the Internet, is not taking a chance.  It is the present and the future. I have done virtually all my ordering for everything via the internet for 10 years or more, saved thousands and have only been bitten once (on Ebay).

Edited: 26/07/2011 at 17:13
26/07/2011 at 18:35
Paul L 11 wrote (see)
of course ordering a golf club via the internet that you haven't had an opportunity to try before buying is taking a chance.
That's why I'm researching it first.
26/07/2011 at 18:57

Personally I would be slightly embarrassed to have it in my bag, but each to their own

26/07/2011 at 19:46
You can research it all you like but if it's not suited to your swing it will be as much use as a chocolate teapot.
26/07/2011 at 21:03
David check out www.rockbottomgolf.com  they have the airfoil at £42.64p
26/07/2011 at 21:31
georgiemac wrote (see)
You can research it all you like but if it's not suited to your swing it will be as much use as a chocolate teapot.

It's all about the shaft which is why I was concerned about the head exploding if you tried to change it.

Funky wrote (see)
David check out www.rockbottomgolf.com  they have the airfoil at £42.64p

Yes seen that but it's the old thin skinned exploding version not the Airfoil 2.
27/07/2011 at 07:43

I should point out that I hold all rights on gas filled driver heads under Golfcon.com.(Lionelirons inc.)

See here  eleven years ago, when my alter ego and I invented them (or forecast them) 

OK, we were a bit wrong on the estimate of 500cc drivers - which seemed ludicrous at the time

. . . but hey, we were only 40cc out

27/07/2011 at 10:16

Really not sure how to insert your quotes, but in response to David V: The original PowerBilt Air Force One had trouble with the head leaking. It never exploded - fortunately Nitrogen is pretty much inert. This was only available in the U.S.

The model that followed, the model that launched to the U.K., is the PowerBilt Air Force One Air Foil. As far as I know, there have been no problems with leaking from this. There is a newer version - the Air Foil 2 - but that is only available in the U.S.

I'm really not sure whether or not you can change shafts on them without releasing the gas. I will find out though and report back. The standard shafts are good quality though.

27/07/2011 at 10:33
Dave W.. there is a 12.5 degree senior flex N7 on ebay for "only" £107 is there something different about it??? or is a a dud??
27/07/2011 at 11:12

MTP - If it's the one located in Glasgow that you mean it looks OK to me.

The photo has the Air Foil branding on it below the Air Force One, so if that is the photo of the actual product then there should be no problems with the gas retention. The 2008 model that had the gas problem was a U.S. only model that had no Air Foil markings.

Obviously I can't guarantee anything and I'm surprised to see a brand new one for that price but it does look OK.