What lengh tees do you use?

Driver, 3 wood etc...

I was just wondering what length tees people here use. When i play with other prople its intersting to see the variances that they use with Driver, 3 wood and irons. Alot of people i watch do not use any tee on par 3's and the usual reply i get after i ask them why not is 'cos it adds loft to my club', which makes sense, but i once read Gary Player say 'if you have a chance to use a tee, always use one'. I personally use.... 83mm tee with a 450cc size driver Orange castle tee with iron tee shots Red castle tee with utility woods How about you?

Pink castle tee with my driver.Red castle tee with fairway woods and irons upto 9 and at the moment Im going without a tee for wedge shots on short par 3's.

PINK castle for driver. But can go up to a GREY. Any other club I use any old broken tee and tee it up about 2/3 mm.

White castle, driver.Red castle, 3 wood and utility.Broken bits for irons.

I have only ever used plain wooden tees since I first starting playing. Don't know why, but I have always hated plastic tees and if I find one lying around I'll generally pick it up and give it to my playing partner. Have just adjusted the height to how I see fit.But a good friend of mine who plays off 6 and hits the ball a country mile always uses the pink castle tees when hitting his driver, and he does tend to hit it fairly consistently. Against my better judgement, I'm thinking of giving them a go over the next few weeks.

I am the same, I only use wooden tees. - don't know how it ended up this way, but that is the way it is now.

Wooden tees for me too. The big green ones for driver and the little red ones for other clubs.

Always used wooden tees since I read an article saying that plastic tees damage titanium woods, very slightly, but damagae nevertheless.To be honest I prefer them anyway, something about a wooden tee just feels better. Maybe I have a tee fetish? And I use 2¾ inch tees for my driver, and any short tee or broken bit for other woods and irons.If you're not using a tee for par 3s, you're a plonker imo. If your ball was just slightly pronounced on the fairway you'd say you had a beautiful lie, why would you prevent yourself from giving yourself this lie on a tee? I honestly think it's ego with many players who do this - "look at me, I'm so good I don't need a tee"

fatshaft wrote (see)

Always used wooden tees since I read an article saying that plastic tees damage titanium woods, very slightly, but damagae nevertheless.

So let me get this right, a soft plastic tee that is softer than a golf ball can damage a metal face ????????Do you really believe eveything you read in Today's Golfer?

Does that mean that my 'urethane' covered golf balls will damage my titanium driver? Oh no, better get some gutta perchas or maybe some wooden golf balls! Perhaps this is a new market for the golf ball manufacturers - now what's the Patent Office's phone number??

Pink castles for driver, broken wooden tees just above the ground for other clubs normally,
9 or wedges sometimes none depending on what im trying to do sometimes its a bit better to get more compression.

when i played years ago i would use the yellow castle tee for my driver and wooden for five wood and irons .but with todays drivers having such a big face i now use white castles and broken tees for my three wood hybrids and irons, i did go down the route of trying the pink and grey castles but found they were just too high.

White wooden tees for driver, teed low, about 1 cm for normal tee shots, no tee with driver if I want to bunt it. No tee for irons unless I want less spin then same tee but pushed right down to 1 or 2mm height.

I tend to use wooden tees more for the fact that what I do lose will generally recycle back into the ground whereas plastic won't. For drivers I tend to tee up about the same height as a pink castle tee.For 3 woods and long irons I usually use a short or broken tee about 5mm off the ground.For par 3's I tend to use a broken tee about 1-3mm off the ground.  The tee ground on par 3's can be pretty variable so it sets it up nicely.

Thankyou for the replies.

To those of you who use the pink castle tees with your driver what size head is your driver, i dont think any of you said

I use white castles with my driver, and red stubbie castles for my utility clubs/3wood.I tend to just sit my ball "up" with any iron/wedge and play it as if its a fairway shot, i tryed using tees and for some reason it broke alot of my rythm with the shorter clubs, i guess it was a mental thing "its a teeshot now".

If im using an iron off the tee then i hit off the floor.....3 wood im scrounging around tee box for broken tee and tee up about 1" ,and driver which rarely gets used about 2".....

I use wooden tees because, like Creosote, I like to vary the height depending on the type of shot I want to play. Generally I tee the ball a little lower than most (though higher than 1cm!) as I think this gives me slightly lower ball flight. If I'm into the wind I will go lower still.

Pink or Purple castle (same 40mm height) for driver. TM Burner Tour 450cc (I think)Red castle or wood tee at red castle height for woodsOrange castle or equivalent height wood tee if playing well for irons. If not playing well then slightly higher.

Are these the same pink castles that are roughly 60mm in lengh with 40mm above ground?

Seems a little low to me, but alot of you use them so i guess they must perform well like that (are the majority of you using pink tees using large driver heads?) i think my 380cc Si3 would be ok off a pink tee but i am not sure about 450cc LoCo... i wouldnt feel comfortable with that.

Also i think the theory behind the wooden tees being less harmful to driver faces is cos they can break on impact which restricts the amount of resistance Vs the plastic tees which simply need to be pushed out the way with the club face... which is slighlty more resistance.

I dont know if that actually happens, and if it is really detremental or not, dunno if any of you ever keep the same driver long enough for it to ever be a long term problem anyway?

Im going LoCo (14.1) wrote (see)

Are these the same pink castles that are roughly 60mm in lengh with 40mm above ground? Seems a little low to me, but alot of you use them so i guess they must perform well like that (are the majority of you using pink tees using large driver heads?) i think my 380cc Si3 would be ok off a pink tee but i am not sure about 450cc LoCo... i wouldnt feel comfortable with that. Also i think the theory behind the wooden tees being less harmful to driver faces is cos they can break on impact which restricts the amount of resistance Vs the plastic tees which simply need to be pushed out the way with the club face... which is slighlty more resistance. I dont know if that actually happens, and if it is really detremental or not, dunno if any of you ever keep the same driver long enough for it to ever be a long term problem anyway?

Yes they are those ones. They are also available in purple from 118golf.Oh, I forgot to mention, I wiggle my castle tees in the ground to prevent them snapping due to my humungus swing speed and find I get 1/2 yard longer due to less resistance.

Actually, if you lean your tee forward slightly you find that you can increase that to 0.75 yards.

Thanks Robster. Might file down the front lip by 1mm, maybe 1.5mm and see if that can bring a few more inches too.

Loco, I don't want to appear facetious or rude here, but ffs, go out on the range and hit a load of balls off different height tees with your driver (and other clubs if applicable). Everyone is different, some have flat swings, some very upright, all will need a different height tee for optimum performance, and some will be teeing it up at the wrong height anyway, asking others what they do is no guarantee of success.

Matthew Hargraves wrote (see)

no one using the offset tee's

Yes I use  These   I have no idea whether or not I get extra distance, but I like the way they just pop up out of the ground and lay right there, no looking for them.. as soon as we get off the tee mats I will be using them again and I can get all the horrible plastic tees out of my bag!!

Umm... Fatshaft...I was not asking what other people used to try and work out what i need to use...I already know what tees i use, and i already said what tees i use. I was merely curious what other people used, because ive seen different/odd things out on the course and it got me thinking, thats all.Thought that was perfectly clear in my original question.Sorry for asking.

Its ok, i ask alot of stupid questions and this one probably seemed no different, and actually could be seen as stupid by some.Its just that on my last game on Friday i played with a senior and he had been playing 15+ years, he teed his driver really low, he said he liked a nice low running shot... and did not like to get the ball up too much, in contrast i teed mine up very high and it became a bit of a topic as we played, a good topic which got me to thinking what other people did.Sorry if i sounded short, that was not the intention, it is difficult to express tones whilst typing... if you know what i mean.

I use the pink castle tee's I used to like the wooden tee's well I still do I guess but I'm just lazy and can't be bothered to figure out high I want them.

Wooden tees here, what is it with people and castle tees? if I want the tee lower I just shove it in the ground a bit more, its not that difficult a concept that you have to carry half a dozen different kind of tees around!

Mindthepond wrote (see)

Yes I use  These   I have no idea whether or not I get extra distance, but I like the way they just pop up out of the ground and lay right there, no looking for them.. as soon as we get off the tee mats I will be using them again and I can get all the horrible plastic tees out of my bag!!

I would have thought that those tees are non conforming (rule 11.1)The R&A deemed all  tees that influence the direction of the flight of the ball  as not acceptable some time ago.

I use the Yellow pride tee's (2 3/4") pushed in nearly half way for driver and then the red pride tee (2 1/8") for 3 wood & irons but usually bite the end off them so they are about half the height (picking them up afterwards of course so i use as little of them as possible)

You should only use the castle type tees. This is because they are of a uniform height and therefore the same height each time you stick 'em in the ground.I use pink ones (driver) and blue one (everything else). Got laughed at for using the pink ones at first, but I've noticed loads of others using these now with the driver.

I use white castles, for consistent height. Although I have been very sad and in summer i use stinger wooden tees. I have marked the right height on these to match the castles.

Driver I use long white wooden tees, 3 wood and rescue it's red castle, and irons is orange castle.

Crazyface wrote (see)

You should only use the castle type tees. This is because they are of a uniform height and therefore the same height each time you stick 'em in the ground.I use pink ones (driver) and blue one (everything else). Got laughed at for using the pink ones at first, but I've noticed loads of others using these now with the driver.

Blue one for everything else????Tee height for irons should just so high that it equates to perfect lie on the fairway. Using a blue tee means that your hitting on the up rather then hitting down on the ball.Having the ball at the same height for drivers is fine if you always want to hit the driver the same way but I liike to vary height depending on the type of drive I am trying to achieve. I tee low for for low shots and fades and tee high for high shots and draws. I prefer to uae 75-83 wooden tees so that I can change height to suit the drive every thing else is hit with the ball on a short tee.I only use castles on mats because they give greater stability Pinks fully in for low drives, pinks partly in for high drives and orange for most other shots although I often go with no tee off mats.

I suppose I am not normally in the elephant grassI once played a course where a blue tee would have been ideal on the putting greens.

Wooden tees for driver. The long ones for 460cc driver, pushed in so that about 1/3 of the ball is above the top line of the club face. That will vary slightly dependant on what shot I want to hit. Anyone use the coloured wooden tees and check the line it sometimes makes on the bottom of the driver?Normal plastic tees for two fairway woods. Not the castle ones as I like to vary the height again but usually look for just a few mm off the ground. Plus I dont want my tee breaking every 2nd shot....Broken wooden tees for all tee shots with the irons. Just a few mm so that the head of the tee is pretty much the only thing above ground. Don't like using castle tees as they seem to break a lot and you see them lying everywhere on the course. Not particularly great for the environment or the look of the course if you ask me.

I tried them before they went on sale as part of a user feedback group. Loved the way they looked at address but they snapped on virtually every drive. Not sure if they changed the plastic as a result. May give them a go again. Currently use wooden tees with coloured banding which allows me to consistently set them at the correct height (for me).