What lengh tees do you use?

20/03/2011 at 01:23
I was just wondering what length tees people here use.

When i play with other prople its intersting to see the variances that they use with Driver, 3 wood and irons.

Alot of people i watch do not use any tee on par 3's and the usual reply i get after i ask them why not is 'cos it adds loft to my club', which makes sense, but i once read Gary Player say 'if you have a chance to use a tee, always use one'.

I personally use....

83mm tee with a 450cc size driver

Orange castle tee with iron tee shots

Red castle tee with utility woods

How about you?
Edited: 20/03/2011 at 01:59
20/03/2011 at 06:33

Pink castle tee with my driver.

Red castle tee with fairway woods and irons upto 9 and at the moment Im going without a tee for wedge shots on short par 3's.

20/03/2011 at 07:25

PINK castle for driver. But can go up to a GREY.

Any other club I use any old broken tee and tee it up about 2/3 mm.

20/03/2011 at 07:25

White castle, driver.

Red castle, 3 wood and utility.

Broken bits for irons.

20/03/2011 at 07:51

I have only ever used plain wooden tees since I first starting playing. Don't know why, but I have always hated plastic tees and if I find one lying around I'll generally pick it up and give it to my playing partner. Have just adjusted the height to how I see fit.

But a good friend of mine who plays off 6 and hits the ball a country mile always uses the pink castle tees when hitting his driver, and he does tend to hit it fairly consistently. Against my better judgement, I'm thinking of giving them a go over the next few weeks.

20/03/2011 at 08:35
I am the same, I only use wooden tees. - don't know how it ended up this way, but that is the way it is now.
20/03/2011 at 08:44
Wooden tees for me too. The big green ones for driver and the little red ones for other clubs.
20/03/2011 at 08:55

Always used wooden tees since I read an article saying that plastic tees damage titanium woods, very slightly, but damagae nevertheless.

To be honest I prefer them anyway, something about a wooden tee just feels better. Maybe I have a tee fetish?

And I use 2¾ inch tees for my driver, and any short tee or broken bit for other woods and irons.

If you're not using a tee for par 3s, you're a plonker imo. If your ball was just slightly pronounced on the fairway you'd say you had a beautiful lie, why would you prevent yourself from giving yourself this lie on a tee? I honestly think it's ego with many players who do this - "look at me, I'm so good I don't need a tee"

20/03/2011 at 09:01
fatshaft wrote (see)

Always used wooden tees since I read an article saying that plastic tees damage titanium woods, very slightly, but damagae nevertheless.

So let me get this right, a soft plastic tee that is softer than a golf ball can damage a metal face ????????

Do you really believe eveything you read in Today's Golfer?

20/03/2011 at 09:13
Does that mean that my 'urethane' covered golf balls will damage my titanium driver? Oh no, better get some gutta perchas or maybe some wooden golf balls! Perhaps this is a new market for the golf ball manufacturers - now what's the Patent Office's phone number??
20/03/2011 at 09:32

I play with pink castle tee's but have u noticed how easy u still lose them!

20/03/2011 at 09:36
Pink castles for driver, broken wooden tees just above the ground for other clubs normally,
9 or wedges sometimes none depending on what im trying to do sometimes its a bit better to get more compression.

20/03/2011 at 09:37
Blimey, the sarky mob are up early today
20/03/2011 at 09:38

when i played years ago i would use the yellow castle tee for my driver and wooden for five wood and irons .but with todays drivers having such a big face i now use white castles and broken tees for my three wood hybrids and irons,

i did go down the route of trying the pink and grey castles but found they were just too high.

20/03/2011 at 09:46
White wooden tees for driver, teed low, about 1 cm for normal tee shots, no tee with driver if I want to bunt it. No tee for irons unless I want less spin then same tee but pushed right down to 1 or 2mm height.
20/03/2011 at 09:48

I tend to use wooden tees more for the fact that what I do lose will generally recycle back into the ground whereas plastic won't.

For drivers I tend to tee up about the same height as a pink castle tee.

For 3 woods and long irons I usually use a short or broken tee about 5mm off the ground.

For par 3's I tend to use a broken tee about 1-3mm off the ground.  The tee ground on par 3's can be pretty variable so it sets it up nicely.

20/03/2011 at 10:00
Thankyou for the replies.

To those of you who use the pink castle tees with your driver what size head is your driver, i dont think any of you said
Edited: 20/03/2011 at 10:01
20/03/2011 at 11:18

I use white castles with my driver, and red stubbie castles for my utility clubs/3wood.

I tend to just sit my ball "up" with any iron/wedge and play it as if its a fairway shot, i tryed using tees and for some reason it broke alot of my rythm with the shorter clubs, i guess it was a mental thing "its a teeshot now".

20/03/2011 at 11:58

If im using an iron off the tee then i hit off the floor.....

3 wood im scrounging around tee box for broken tee and tee up about 1" ,and driver which rarely gets used about 2".....

20/03/2011 at 12:12
I use wooden tees because, like Creosote, I like to vary the height depending on the type of shot I want to play. Generally I tee the ball a little lower than most (though higher than 1cm!) as I think this gives me slightly lower ball flight. If I'm into the wind I will go lower still.