Which driver to cure slice?

14/09/2008 at 00:05

My slice is becomming quite a problem - is there a certain type/brand of driver which could help this?

I need a new  3W so thought I could try for an anti-slicer!

What to read...

Ten of the Best: Game improvement drivers

Six of the best: Premium priced drivers

Another great slice cure

Video: Fix that slice in five minutes

Six of the best: Premium priced drivers

14/09/2008 at 00:14
Well draw based drivers apparently help with the slice. Depending on how bad your slice is no driver will cure it totally. I would advise going a different route. Using a draw based driver to cure a slice is kinda like using plasters to fix your car. Its much better to work on your swing and the reason you are hitting a slice. Most of the time it is a problem with the setup. Ie open stance at target, open shoulders, bad grip or posture. Working on your swing can eliminate your slice for the longterm instead of making a quick fix.
14/09/2008 at 01:37
In my limited experience the best driver to cure a slice is the driver who parks his (or her) car at a golf club, opens up the pro shop, sells various pieces of golf equipment & oddments, and, offers tuition for a reasonable fee.

They're the best drivers by far and they usually drive a tidy motor too!

14/09/2008 at 11:53

It would be a good idea to find out why you slice (can be a couple of common causes) and what you should work on to reduce or cure it. Make the investment of an hour with a pro; this will be money well spent because it will avoid you wasting money and time buying and selling equipment that won't fix your slice.

You may end up deciding that the amount of time needed working on your swing to totally cure your slice isn't feasible due to time/money restrictions. So you can then decide on the right club to bring the ball back on the straight and narrow. Either a draw-biased club, closed face club, lmore loft, or offset, or any combination of those.

Whenever these threads come up everyone says "get lessons!" - and there's an element of truth and logic. But you also have to be realistic about what is right for you - i.e. most of us amateurs have problems keeping the ball straight with a driver. Many of us scramble just to free up the time and money for a round per week or even per month. We don't have the time to spend on the practice range, or having lessons. So if you end needing some "club help" (bias, ofset etc) then do it. Whatever gives you the best result and keeps you enjoying the game.

14/09/2008 at 12:56
Maybe when *these* threads come up *everyone* advises lessons because *they* think that *is* the best way to *cure* (taken from the thread title) a fault???

I am a slicer of the ball & no amount of heel weighting, closed face angle & offset (even with the clubhead arriving a fortnight after the shaft) could rid me of the banana.

A 1/2 hour lesson on the other hand worked wonders & armed me with the understanding of why *I* personally was slicing the ball (as the underlying reason could be as unique as the individual's swing).

Whilst that wasn't a 100% cure, I at least had the armoury to decipher why old banana boy had reappeared & could adjust accordingly.

Or... You could p!ss-fart on for several weeks chopping & changing kit. As for cost: a £15 quid 1/2 hour lesson seems a tad less expensive that an XYZ biased driver - even a decent inexpensive one such as an MD Golf EQL driver for £99 quid??

One piece of advice I would offer though if you've neither the time nor the inclination to go the lesson route: if you're going for new kit get fitted by a decent fitter (not an ADG/Direct Golf handsize & inside leg measurement debacle). You'd be surprised at the cost (a lot of the time same or better price than "off the shelf") but set-up to best account for your own unique tendencies (re: flaws).

That would give you the most benefit if going the kit route.
14/09/2008 at 16:24

If money is a bit tight at the moment the guy can always get a mate too make a few videos of his swing. Face and and down the line. Post them up on here and i'm sure people can give some real constructive advice.

That costs nothing!

14/09/2008 at 17:55

I made the point about taking a session with pro because there are different root causes.

There can be many reasons (in swing, technique) why people hit the ball with the face open. It could equally be equipment - e.g. trying to play a 9° extra-stiff shafted "tour" (open-faced) driver with a 46" shaft (not much chance of getting that through on an in-to-out plane!) because your best mate who's been playing 20 years nails his one.

The lesson with the pro will tell you why. If it's simply poor technique, then it's a choice whether to "equip" around the problem or invest the time in trying to fix the root cause. Or maybe a bit of both. Maybe a draw bias or closed face will give you that little bit of a margin.

14/09/2008 at 19:02

I constantly find it amazing how we all know the answer and we all preach the wisdom off get lessons sort out the problem don't just get equipment that helps against a fault.

The reality is 80% off us do bog all about it and just continually go out week after week thrill seeking for those good shots.

Get an anti slice driver

14/09/2008 at 19:30
straightest driver i found was a ladies off set benross driver that costs about 15 quid, straight as a die
14/09/2008 at 20:10
LESSONS!!! im afraid to say does not matter which driver you buy if your not swinging properly that SLICE OR HOOK it will be. i know harsh but ive tried the same thing in the past and is only a quick fix buying new gear. Lessons are the only way and will work out cheaper the a new driver . Good luck
16/09/2008 at 13:24

I have the Ping G5 offset, 10.5 degrees with regular shaft. It doesn't slice nearly as often as my olf Mizuno Blue Fire, although I have recently been working on lightening my grip and trying to swing on a better plane, which also makes a difference!

It has helped to a degree, but I'll stick my neck out and suggest lessons to at least determine the cause!

19/09/2008 at 08:44
My two penneth. Stand behind he ball on the tee, pick a target down the fairway, set up on a line with the target. Take the club back REALLY SLOW (very important) and then leather it, whilst keeping you eye on the ball until you've hit it. Worked for me this season. Still get the odd one drifting off but this routine has all but cured it. Just as a tester, last week I went back to my old routine, cos I wanted a bit of a rest from trying too hard,  of step up,  couple of swishes, step in, whip it back and smash. Then watch the ball sail off onto the adjacent fairway, screaming "BALLRIGHT, WAHOOOOOO"!  Great fun, but it won't win you any comps. 
19/09/2008 at 09:05
Using my Ping G10 I used to get 'creeping slice' of various degrees and tried several strategies to rein it in, with various degrees of success. Tried 'right foot back, tried closing the face more, tried tighter grip... All sorts.

In the end, I accidently found the root cause when I was at the driving range with wet balls: Despite lining up my driver to my ball in the centre of the club face, I was regularly and consistently seeing splash on the toe of the face (and quite high up).

I changed my position so the ball was lined up to the heel (practically under the shaft) and gave a little more of a steeper downswing and I instantly saw dead-straight flights, and water splash in the dead-centre of the face.

I'm not suggesting this is your root cause, but like others have said, the cure is far more likely to come from discovering the cause, not changing a club.

Hope that helps!
19/09/2008 at 09:15

It all depends on what type of golfer you are, if you are social golfer without any real desire to have lessons and practice or the time, Then i would recommend a offset driver which will help but not cure a slice but iwll get the ball in play more often

But as has already been mentioned that a slice is a swing fault and will persist until you have a lessons but again its all about time, effort, money and what you want from the game.

19/09/2008 at 15:17
Dave The Slice wrote (see)

An anti slice driver wont do sod all for you if the club face is open at impact.. Thats crazy talk.

I have a Ping G10 draw 3 Wood. I can shank that thing like you whould not believe.. 

if you dont want to have lessons, you could always spend tons of money down the range and get tennis elbow trying to sort the thing out once and for all. 

yes it will , that's the whole design point off offseting the clubface , so how many of you guys are using zero offset irons ? not me 

Only blade irons designed for low HC players have zero offset throught the set most designs have a gradual offset that increases as you move up the irons , so why is it when you pull out the biggest hardest to hit club it the bag it is ok to reduce the offset back to zero ? yeh that makes sence !!

Edited: 19/09/2008 at 15:17
19/09/2008 at 16:15

Do a quick search there must be loads of threads on this type of equipment, try lessons too, but dont be too surprised when your hitting the ball very similarly with the driver even with lessons, how many times you heard 'Lessons made me worse' if you make radical swing changes they take time to settle in and you'll probably struggle real bad and revert to normal in desperation.

Or if you think what the hell, try out a Ben Sayers M1 offset driver, at £30 does it matter if it doesnt work, but it may just sort out your thoughts about your driver swing plane.

19/09/2008 at 16:27
This is dreadful. I now have a powerful but utterly irrational impulse to buy a TM Burner Draw, even though I know it probably won't do me any good - I've never even hit one - and I'm maxed out on the credit card. Quick someone, tell me not to buy it!
19/09/2008 at 16:35
We can't!!
Ren
19/09/2008 at 17:15

Buy it! I used to have a TM R5 draw and it was great - never sliced since.

19/09/2008 at 22:28

no offence Dave ,pedantic? wasn't meant to be , only an observation , most players play with offset irons , so why not woods ? , get your point though , offset might correct you back  left only a few meters or so but for mid to high handicappers like myself it can make the difference between edge of the fairway and rough. offset/closed clubface/weighting will help with open clubface which you questioned , but not excessive cutting sidespin caused by bad swing. it won't

Edited: 19/09/2008 at 22:29