"Beer Belly"

1 to 20 of 45 messages
13/01/2011 at 09:29

I don't consider myself as grossly overweight, but i have the Englishmans "beer belly". Has anyone got any exercises that will shift it? Any stupid remarks  like "Go on a diet", "Stop drinking alcohol" "Cut out cake" will be treated with the distain it deserves.

I am already walking to work every day. 1/2 hour there and back.

13/01/2011 at 09:42
The walking will do it. Plus. Eat slower and don't go back to the kitchen to finish off the leftovers. No crisps. It only takes discipline for a week and you'll be on your way. It also helps to have fruit like grapes to 'snack' on in the evening. I lost a stone in a few months without dieting. My old clothes now fit!
13/01/2011 at 09:48
Weigh yourself daily, at the same time of day eg just after you get out of bed in the morning.   You'll soon find yourself watching the scales like a hawk !
13/01/2011 at 10:22

A treadmill helps. Preferably one with a calorie counter.

Once you realise how much effort and hard work it takes to burn off 400 calories, you'll be less likely to over-eat or drink.

Check the calorific content of things before they enter your mouth. Little things like swapping McCoys crisps for quavers, butter for clover etc is a positive.

I realised a long time ago I'll never be able to give up the 'nice things' (beer, chocolate etc) in life so swear by my treadmill to justify my indulgences.

Good luck.

13/01/2011 at 10:44

I thought sweet potato was ok. Is this a no no? It's the snacking at night that does me. Always seem to have my head in a cubboard hunting for something to eat. I'm not a big fan of fruit although Oranges and grapes are ok. Off to Tesco's to stock up.

13/01/2011 at 10:46
The walking seems to have shifted some weight as my jeans are all a bit looser, but it's the belly thing that annoys me. I think it generic, my dads got one and my grandad had one.
13/01/2011 at 10:47

20 mins flat out with 2 mins recovery is your target aim.

13/01/2011 at 10:48

That's aimed a running not midnight munching!

13/01/2011 at 11:04
damn
13/01/2011 at 13:41

" eat less, walk more " (get a dog)

13/01/2011 at 14:33
Crazyface wrote (see)

I don't consider myself as grossly overweight, but i have the Englishmans "beer belly". Has anyone got any exercises that will shift it? Any stupid remarks  like "Go on a diet", "Stop drinking alcohol" "Cut out cake" will be treated with the distain it deserves.

I am already walking to work every day. 1/2 hour there and back.

Not sure what being English has to do with it. However, all good advice above but you may also wish to consider some core stability exercises.

These will tighten the stomach muscles and give the appearance of being trimmer. These will also have the added benefit of strengthening the lower back muscles and reduce the possibility of injuring your back when swinging a club.

Don't just grind out old fashioned situps as these could do more harm than good. Join a Gym or buy an instructional DVD with an exercise ball.

Good luck and congrats on taking the first steps.

13/01/2011 at 17:46

1st thing - stop worrying about it

2nd thing - is it spoiling your health or sex life? 

3rd thing - go to see the Terracotta Army in Xian.

When I was there, my friend's wife pointed out to our guide, that some of the figures had a bit of a gut - like mine, and laughed. 

The guide indignantly pointed out that the physique was considered highly desirable in anorexic China. It indicated the high status of the figure, who was a General.

He stated that the General was not fat, but wealthy.

Put her in her place   

13/01/2011 at 18:22

Lots and lots of Water is what I've been told!  (At least 3 litres per day when training)

This prevents water retention, allows a feeling of fullness which prevents snacking and will help keep the body hydrated helping you to feel healthier in general.

If only I could take my own advice, and didn't have such a fondness of the amber nectar.

Edited: 13/01/2011 at 18:29
13/01/2011 at 19:06
Did someone mention beer?
13/01/2011 at 19:23
Cartman 20.0 wrote (see)

Lots and lots of Water is what I've been told!  (At least 3 litres per day when training)

Load of rubbish - too much water is bad for you - ask any Australian

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3078/2304834821_12833a14a4.jpg

Cheers
13/01/2011 at 19:41
Ahhh, I knew I heard beer mentioned.
13/01/2011 at 20:04
When I wanted to lose weight I kept a record of what I was eating and how many calories it was. Every single thing that I ate.

I knew that I needed about 2,250 calories per day to just maintain the same weight. I didn't care what I ate, it could be cakes/beer/sweets whatever but once I reached the limit I knew that I'd had enough for the day. I never exceeded the limit and usually came in about 100-200 cals below.

If in the evening I felt peckish, I'd be able to talk myself out of the hunger because I knew that I'd already eaten enough for the day. Often we eat out of habit and keeping that record makes you conscious and check what you're eating.

After that all my weight loss came through exercise. I used to weigh myself about once per week at the gym.

Just for info ... 1lb of fat is 3,500 calories. Therefore if you burn (or eat less) 500 calories every day then you lose 1lb of fat per day.

Women only need about 1,750 cals per day on average, men about 2,000. If you drop below eating 1,000 cals per day your body goes into starvation mode and your metabolism slows. This is why health professionals say that you should only look to lose 2lb of fat per week.
13/01/2011 at 20:37

If you want to keep it simple then its as everyone has said, cut your calorie intake.  If you consume less than what you burn in a day, then you WILL lose wait............... its that simple........

IMO walking is the best way to burn fat too, so keep up the walking.  Fat burning works best at a lower heart rate, so dont be going crazy doing intense workouts. 

I do 30 mins walking on the treadmill 4/5 times a week on a full incline whilst actually eating 6-7 time a day. and i've shifted a stone and a half in the last 2 months and managed to retain most of my muscle.

13/01/2011 at 21:12
Bagz wrote (see)

If you want to keep it simple then its as everyone has said, cut your calorie intake.  If you consume less than what you burn in a day, then you WILL lose wait............... its that simple........

IMO walking is the best way to burn fat too, so keep up the walking.  Fat burning works best at a lower heart rate, so dont be going crazy doing intense workouts. 

I do 30 mins walking on the treadmill 4/5 times a week on a full incline whilst actually eating 6-7 time a day. and i've shifted a stone and a half in the last 2 months and managed to retain most of my muscle.

Wot he said!

Crazyface, like you I am a fat tw** , hence I'm on a fitness campaign.

To lose weight  you need to be burning off more calories than you put through the cake-hole, and there is no substitute for exercise to burn off calories.

The good news for us lardy-boys is that  you do not need massively intense workouts to get the heart at the correct rate for fat-burning.   Running flat out raises the heart rate way up above the most effective fat-burning level, so for most people a mixture of fast walking and light jogging gets the rate about right.   Fast walking is meant to be excellent.   If you can do this for at least 30 minutes about 4 times a week that is ample.

One thing worth looking at is body fat percentage.   Mine was right up over 30, horrendous!   Once you find out what it is it really focuses the mind on what you are eating!

What you are eating, how much you are eating and when you are eating all play a massive part too. 

Anyway, all this might sound a lot but in anutshell it's get the right exercise and slightly change your eating habits.

Oh, and a piss up after a good work out gives you particular satisfaction!

13/01/2011 at 22:16
Paul L 11 wrote (see)

Sorry to correct the previous posters but low intensity "in the fat burning zone" exercise is not the way to shed fat quickly, that is very old hat advice.

As opposed to Wikipedia, which is of course the gospel...

If what you are saying is true, maybe you should go around all the gyms and take the stickers off all the machines then...
1 to 20 of 45 messages
Golfmagic on Twitter