How many cigs?

21 to 40 of 69 messages
28/05/2008 at 20:35

Somtimes up to 5 Mehari Orient cigars or a couple of Villiger export - depends how I'm playing.

Usually reward myself for good play but will light up if I'm having a 'mare also.

04/06/2008 at 19:41

I quit yesterday and I could happily go on the rampage with a golf club at various points throughout the day. Unless you have tried to stop smoking, it is hard to describe how bad it makes you feel and how much it can alter your behaviour.

However, I only smoked maybe 5 over 18 holes. Don't know why as I'd smoke a lot doing anything else, but never felt like it much playing golf.

Toolster. You are a Tool(ster). 

06/06/2008 at 12:37
Stick at it Tiger, it gets easier, much easier. I've done 6 weeks now without a lapse, and it really is no longer a problem.
09/06/2008 at 23:30

not a smoker myself, but a regular golfing partner smokes non-stop through the round.

we reckon he smokes the best part of 2 boxes a round.  absolutely filthy habit.

14/10/2008 at 19:50
Soon be 6 months smoke free! I've saved the price of a set of Miuras.
24/10/2008 at 10:08
My Godfather has smoked 40 a day since his late teens and retired last Christmas. He's a mad golfer but his habit has led to severe problems with bloodflow, his veins, and his arteries in his legs and as a result he can hardly walk anymore. He finds it hard to breathe and instead of spending his retirement playing plenty of golf, his smoking has cost him the ability to play and has confined him to short walks and lots of rest.
24/10/2008 at 13:17

i quit smoking because i didnt want to miss the end of the open in 2003 and havent had a single puff since - i think even a single draw and i would be a smoker again.

Golf helped me quit smoking! 

Although take away consumption has risen

Edited: 24/10/2008 at 13:19
24/10/2008 at 13:54
4 rollies a round - on the tee at 2, 6, 12 and 16.  I stop every 2 or 3 years (to silence the moaning of the mem sahib) but have always renaged.  One thing I can say is that my average (bounce) round this year is 8 to 10 strokes better than in a non-smoking year.  And my temper is much, much better.
24/10/2008 at 17:57
Of course if you never have the habit to begin with, then you don't go through withdrawel symptons and never have the (false) belief that smoking calms you down and makes you better.
25/10/2008 at 12:17

What a genius you are Wegason. That truly was profound.

Of course, if you were never born, we wouldn't have to listen to your pish thoughts on smoking.

28/10/2008 at 12:51

Chris S, classic mate truly the reply that deserved.

Wegason, let's try a little bit of entry level education here:-

nerves/stress/anxiety - these are all internal creations, they exist only inside your head. You can use any method, including smoking, to convince your mind that it should react differently. It doesn't matter what you do, only that you believe it works. Of course you could be a stronger person and never let your imagination create the nerves in the first place. But that would be almost as w**ky as saying that you shouldn't have smoked in the first place.

31/10/2008 at 11:41

He's got a point though. One of the first benefits of giving up is a reduced heart rate. I can honestly say that I have not noticed any inrease in stress at all in the last 6 months., (at least until my central heating packed up last night..)

10/11/2008 at 15:59
MacBludgeon wrote (see)

Chris S, classic mate truly the reply that deserved.

Wegason, let's try a little bit of entry level education here:-

nerves/stress/anxiety - these are all internal creations, they exist only inside your head. You can use any method, including smoking, to convince your mind that it should react differently. It doesn't matter what you do, only that you believe it works. Of course you could be a stronger person and never let your imagination create the nerves in the first place. But that would be almost as w**ky as saying that you shouldn't have smoked in the first place.

Entry level education might be something you may wish to consider. Stress, nerves, and anxiety do not only exist inside your head, stress affects your whole body, your heart rate, your bloody supply, and your muscles, they are all affected by stress. There's a reason people drop dead because of stress from heart attacks, it's not only a mind thing.
10/11/2008 at 16:58
Toolster (28) wrote (see)

I dont think there is a need to smoke while playing golf, I mean you are out there have great walk great views really good for ya, and then spoil it by sparkin up.

Sorry to all the smokers out there but I think it should be ban altogether

I don't believe you are sorry at all. Why is it that some people in society feel that they have the moral right to dictate to the rest of us.

Smoking has already been banned in enclosed public places and that is fair enough, given the risks from passive smoking, but to suggest that there should be a ban altogether is quite frankly illconceived and unworkable.

If anyone dares to suggest there is a risk from passive smoking outdoors then I would suggest we ban all vehicles powered by internal combustion engines, power stations, bonfire night and any other activity that spews airborne particulates and polution into the atmosphere.

For God's sake man. What next? Maybe we should ban Friday night curries to reduce the risk of noxious fumes on a Saturday morning.

Gnash, Gnash

10/11/2008 at 20:10

Top rant DB, agree entirely.

ps. I'll soon be 7 months smoke free. Christ you should see my waistline now. Anyone remember Russell Claydon? Next to me, the man's an amateur.

19/12/2008 at 04:47

When I smoked, I'd usually have about 10-12 per round.  If there was any bit of a delay, I'd light up.  I quit about 10 15 years ago, but if we're waiting on the tee for a slow group in the fairway, I still get the urge have have a smoke.

And congrats Lawman.  Keep it up.

By the way, smoking is not simply a bad habit.  It's an addiction.

19/12/2008 at 23:19

"By the way, smoking is not simply a bad habit.  It's an addiction."

Eh?

I have been 'clean' since the 9th of July. i too have serious waistline issues brought upon by an increase in food consumption

20/12/2008 at 11:45

As I roll my own, my smoking habits on the golf course rely on the weather quite a bit.

If it's a nice, sunny, flat calm day I will smoke 6 or 7 during a round.

If it's windy, I won't smoke any at all....you don't half look silly chasing a Rizla down the fairway

Edited: 20/12/2008 at 11:46
22/12/2008 at 16:48
Cigs and boozing are the first step to losing!!!
26/01/2009 at 23:02
I play with a lad at work who is never without one sparked up. I'd guess he goes through around 20-25 per round... he barely smokes off the course, though. Quite odd.
21 to 40 of 69 messages
Golfmagic on Twitter