How many cigs?

1 to 20 of 73 messages
06/12/2007 at 22:11

Just noticed this section and thought that  I should ask this question.

The record - 25 during a 5 and a half hour slog.

What's the record?  Cigars and pipe smokers of the world we need your thoughts too!

p.s. only "legal" smoking comments purlease

06/12/2007 at 22:58

Gave up 3 years ago but I would have struggled to smoke more than about 6 in a round, that's one every 3 holes.  Your 25 in a round is a colossal almost 5 an hour!  Phew!

07/12/2007 at 01:08

i can get through about 10 in a round. Theres lots of different factors in a round that make me want to smoke in a round, be it good or bad. 

07/12/2007 at 16:00

Not sure how many my friend smoked in a round, but he smoked 15 in 2 hours before teeing off at the Belfry.

Yep, he was that nervous

07/12/2007 at 18:17

I smoke 3/4 rollies per round, 1 on the first tee , I then get dragged round without time to roll one until the

10th tee , the its the 15th or 16th before withdrawal symptoms make me spit my dummy and refuse to move till I roll one, get another on the 18th Tee if I'm lucky , I tried rolling 10 or so before hand and smoked the lot andhad a fall of SOOT.

07/12/2007 at 18:24

I've quit now, but I used to smoke about 10 before an important round, once playing though I would have about 6 if things were going well and about 10 if they weren't!

I can now get up the hill without collapsing though

07/12/2007 at 20:44

Golf is up there with darts and snooker as one of the great smoking games. Apart from knowing what to do with the tab on a green.

Given up now, but the whiff of a fellow golfer's smoke can send me all nostalgic.

21/12/2007 at 00:23

For my sins I smoke a pipe, don't have any set times or particular places on the course wher I light up out of habit. However I do have a Condor moment after bad shots. I am usually around 95 smokes per round!!!!!!

No about for - five puffs on me pipe

21/12/2007 at 07:45
Varies quite a lot. If the pace of play is quick then I tend not to smoke much. If its slow then I am lighting up all the time through boredom. Generally maybe 6/7 or so a round, but can rise to 10+ if its slow.
21/12/2007 at 11:47
Not me personally (i don't smoke), but one of my playing partners would usually smoke 5-6 a round, however the type of golf event can dictate a change in this, on the last cricket club day out he managed to smoke 25 cigs, but then, he did also drink 14 bottles of budweiser (couldn't quite manage 1 per hole, lightweight! )
21/12/2007 at 12:08
My new years resolution is I'm NOT going to give up smoking in the New Year , its probably the only resolution I will keep .
21/12/2007 at 16:08

Saw one of our greenkeepers smoking in his tractor last week.

Decided, on fear of being run over, not to tell him it's probably illegal......

I reckon that smoking golfers (golfing smokers ?) will be the next species to be targetted by Gordys Health Stasi !!

21/12/2007 at 16:46
If you two are Correct there's going to be a war out on the course , pity the poor bugger who confronts me.
30/12/2007 at 22:26

I dont think there is a need to smoke while playing golf, I mean you are out there have great walk great views really good for ya, and then spoil it by sparkin up.

Sorry to all the smokers out there but I think it should be ban altogether

25/02/2008 at 16:10

Generally smoke around 12-15 during a round.

My record was at teh lombard top club medal a few years ago. Slow play (5 hours or so)and  the possibility of a big prize (all expenses foreign trip) rather took over.

I seem to recall smoking the best part of two packs.

I now no longer keep my tabs in my pocket. I find that every time i put my hand in my pocket, there are my fags, and I light one up without really thinking about it.

Toolster, i dont smoke (or play golf either for that matter) becasue i need to. I do it because i enjoy it. You enjoy your hobbies and vices, and I'll enjoy mine, thanks very much.

30/04/2008 at 10:07

Update!

I've quit the weed! After 20 years of 40 a day, the family nagging has finally convinced me to try and knock the smokes on the head.

I've done 8 days now so it is very early days, but I feel much better for it. Each day it gets easier.

Not looking forward to the fishing season though. A contemplative smoke on the riverbank, while waiting for a bite, is one of life's great pleasures..

30/04/2008 at 10:31

Funny you should say that Lawman , I tried a different approach yesterday, I only smoked one fag in 4 hours, I smoked 8 Cafe Creme instead , well, it saved rolling a fag.

Toolster, smoking is a Bad Habit, SO is breathing for some people .

30/04/2008 at 12:02
2 Montecristos during a 5 hr round was a treat some years ago. Cigars used to really calm me down and strangely make me play well when I was a beginner. It was often a run of 4 pars in a row after cracking one open...happy days....
30/04/2008 at 12:27
I try not to go above 1 per hole but I don't always succeed.
30/04/2008 at 12:51

I must avoid the temptation to have the "odd cigar".

Last time I decided to quit the fags in favour of the "odd cigar" I found myself on 20 cigars a day in no time.

I hit a beautiful shank on Sunday, and my mates thought I would immediately start scrabbling about in my bag to try and find a long forgotten cigarette in there to calm myself down. Not a bit of it. I've really noticed my heart rate has come down and I am much calmer altogether.

MacB, my average used to be one on every hole except par 5s when i would have two (unless it was reachable...)

1 to 20 of 73 messages
Golfmagic on Twitter