Bending left arm at the top of my backswing - any thoughts?

15 messages
17/05/2006 at 22:00
Hi

I have had problems with overswinging pretty much since I started golfing.
No matter what I try I can't seem to stop my backswing early enough and always end up wrapping the club right round and bending my left arm (right hander) in the process.
This makes my head go up resulting in poor, weak, shots.
It happens more often than not - particularily with longer irons/woods but, (surprise surprise), my practice swings seem to be nearly always right.
Does anybody have any thoughts on how to prevent this (equipment, drills etc)
I've seen things like the swingyde training aid - are they any good

Thanks.
17/05/2006 at 22:16
fool it, hit it on practice swing. :O)
17/05/2006 at 22:17
I have used an ernie els tempo timer and its stopped me overswinging - not that it was much of a problem for me. Its basically a lead weight that fits to the shaft of the club. It slows down your swing and lets you feel where the club is in your backswing and if you overswing you'll find it harder to bring the club back to the ball.

This MAY help.

But before the tempo timer (which i bought for strengthening to be honest) i was very conscious of the mid and final positions of my back swing. I used a mirror to watch those positions and just practise, practise, practised.
17/05/2006 at 22:44
I have practised a lot
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't
Also tried a momentus swing trainer - which I assume is fairly similar to Ernies version
I'm sure this makes it worse as I go from a heavy club to a lighter club and just seem to really overswing it

17/05/2006 at 22:59
hmmmm okay let me try another suggestion :)

Again this works for me but was never mentioned to me in a lesson as i don't have the overswing problem.

Really really concentrate on keeping your left arm straight. This (unless you are like that guy you posted a vid of himself wrapping the club around himself about 20times on his back swing a few weeks ago) should restrict your backswing.

In your actual swing you don't want to keep your left arm rigidly straight. But again this 'should' be a practise drill to give you the feeling of where your hands go to in your backswing.

17/05/2006 at 23:56
I didn't realise I had this problem until a mate kindly pointed it out to me recently.

I still fight it (as I have presumably been doing it since I started) - but I consciously try and perform a half-to-three-quarter swing only. My friend tells me I actually do perform pretty much a full swing when doing this, but I overswing less often.

As S3 says, concentrating on keeping the left arm extended (not rigid) also helps.

It's the major cause of my slice when I overswing... so when I slice I have a pretty good idea that I did it.

Anyway, you aren't alone.
18/05/2006 at 04:16

DC - Try and create more resistance between your hips and your shoulders on the backswing.
18/05/2006 at 15:28
a while ago I had quite a few lessons which concentrated on the backswing as i had the same problem. The solution for me was to take it back to the ideal position then return to the start twice as replacement for a practice swing
seemed to work....
Edited: 18/05/2006 at 15:29
18/05/2006 at 15:45
I have the same and try, on advice from my pro, to concentrate on what 'feels' like 3/4 backswing position with the arms (even though it is really a full backswing) combined with a full shoulder turn - important!! - and try to keep controlled and balanced throughout the swing, hitting it firmly without trying to murder it.
It hard at first to keep the left arm straight and I still have a bit of bend in it but it's given me some improvement, especially in timing and striking, so see if works for you.
18/05/2006 at 17:26
That's what I do David back a few times not full practise swings just back, back and back then you get the feel for where it should be. Overswinging is what I do. Recently got irons with a D3 swing weight this has helped loads old irons were D1.
19/05/2006 at 10:53
Another exercise which I now do on every trip to the range is hitting balls with your feet together. Hard to overswing and develops a good in-out swing path. what's annoying is that you can't hit it much further standing with your feet apart !
19/05/2006 at 11:11
take a 2 l fizzy drinks bottle cut both ends off so you have a tube smoothen or cover the edges then slide on your arm covering your elbow joint . now hit balls to a punch finish.
Edited: 19/05/2006 at 11:11
19/05/2006 at 12:00
How about the following practice drill?

Practice your take away to a half swing position with the left arm straight and parallel to the ground and the wrists fully hinged forming a right angle between the club shaft and your left arm. Your right arm should be bent and forming a rightangle at the elbow. The Shoulder turn should only be at 45 degree. Next keeping the arms still, complete the backswing by fully completing the shoulder turn so that the left shoulder turns in line with the ball position.

Your arms should tilt up to complete the backswing as a result of the shoulder turn. You should now be in the correct position at the top of the backswing.

At the top of the backswing push the hands away from the shoulder gaining more width. If your left arm, elbow is slightly bowed as opposed to dead straight then this should not be a problem. Just make sure that your right upperarm and right forearm, forms a right angle between the club shaft and forearm and upperarm but also ensure that the right forearm is perpendicular to the ground and as close to the left forearm as possible, i.e. right elbow in front of the hip as opposed to behind it.

Practice this as a two phase drill to begin with and then join the movements together.

19/05/2006 at 14:27
Take a look at Creosote's swing, good example of a pretty straight left arm. Yes you should keep it straight (as possible), if you feel you are not completing the backswing when doing this then perhaps your grip pressure is too tight, you need to allow the wrists to hinge and too much grip pressure will inhibit that happening.
23/05/2006 at 21:08
Feet together seemed to work well - also seemed to generate more power after a while.
Had a lesson today (somebody different) and he adjusted my grip.
Seems my right hand is in the wrong position.
Now I position it such that my thunb nail is slightly above the first knuckle and tighten it - similar, he suggested, to how you would hold a stone if you were skimming it across a lake (which was how I was hitting it)
This increased power and more importantly stopped my overswinging (with only one exception) dramatically improving my accuracy.
Going to keep practising for the week and see what happens on sunday!
Your say
email image
15 messages
Golfmagic on Twitter