Claw/pencil putting grip

10 messages
19/01/2013 at 20:25
Snow snow snow so got the putting mat out this afternoon. For no real reason started playing around with a pencil grip, the one Phil Mickleson and others are using. I thought my putting was ok but this grip makes it almost impossible not to hit it straight with a great roll and tempo! Anyone out there using these grips "in the real world" or are they the domain of the tormented souls on the PGA?!!
19/01/2013 at 21:15

like you Ken  i have had a bash on the carpet ,also tried the cross handed grip ,neither really worked and probably because they were different they didnt feel comfortable enough to persue them any further.

not to say that i wont be trying them again when my putting gets really bad again.

always looking for the holy grail mate.

19/01/2013 at 22:30

Mate of mine started to use it about 6 months ago after a bout of the yips and his putting has really improved, He still taps in from under a few feet using the "normal" hand over hand grip but for anything longer than a few feet his goes to Le Grip!

Bloody deadly from 10ft!

19/01/2013 at 22:52
Can't do cross handed for love nor money but a "claw" type grip with right hand low produces a really quiet right hand. Stockton mentions it in his book and says that anything that stops right hand being over active is good. Not sure I'm ready to change tho, just wondered if anyone put there used it for real.
20/01/2013 at 04:43

I use the claw grip, I feel it helps me keep the putter face square at impact where as with every other grip I have used in the past I had a tendency to close the face and start the ball off to the left of my intended target line.

20/01/2013 at 13:35

im wondering if my being naturally left handed but play right handed would keep my right hand quiet anyway and why i find it dosent really help me ..just a thought ,no basis of fact ..

often wondered about putting left handed but never tried.

20/01/2013 at 14:38

I have tried the Mickleson grip a few times and found I pulled a lot of putts doing it that way. Longer putts I also found extremely difficult. It does feel nice and like it will totally quieten your lower hand, but I need that hand. Being right handed with a pen but left handed for sports, I find it's that hand that needs to be kept quiet in my putt, which I achieve through putting my index finger along the shaft to stablise it. In fact, without that finger along the shaft I cannot putt for toffee. With it, however, I'm above average in putting for my handicap. If only I could give myself more birdie chances!

20/01/2013 at 19:17
Mat Woods (9.3) wrote (see)

I have tried the Mickleson grip a few times and found I pulled a lot of putts doing it that way. Longer putts I also found extremely difficult. It does feel nice and like it will totally quieten your lower hand, but I need that hand. Being right handed with a pen but left handed for sports, I find it's that hand that needs to be kept quiet in my putt, which I achieve through putting my index finger along the shaft to stablise it. In fact, without that finger along the shaft I cannot putt for toffee. With it, however, I'm above average in putting for my handicap. If only I could give myself more birdie chances!

as a certain Mr. Allis would say "Ah the fickle finger of fate"

i too have said fickle finger.

22/01/2013 at 09:24

I don't know how people putt without it! I started doing it when I took the game up again after a 2-3 year sabbatical. Felt natural at that time. I forgot about that Allis saying. Nice one.

KenB, I'd recommend you go through a set putting routine for an hour or so somewhere. I use the Mickleson 'tee circle' technique, using my wedge or a bit of string to measure the distances and popping a tee in every few feet to make the circle. I take 10 putts from 9ft (three wedges) 6ft and then 3ft. Just go round the circle as many times as you have time for and keep count of how many you make.

Try it with your normal grip, and then the claw/pencil grip. If you make 30/30 3fters, 20/30 6fters and 15/30 9fters with one and 25/30, 15/30, 10/30 with the other, you'll know which grip to start using.

Try longer putts from 30ft and 40ft too. That was the achilles heel for this stroke for me. Inside 6ft it's really stable, but anything that needs a good roll, I was closing up on.

22/01/2013 at 11:04

Thanks Mat. That's a good test. I need to do a like for like when this darn snow goes and the putting green dries out. I do know what does impact my putting stroke is my right hand being over active. The pencil grip definitely helps and I can also get good results but having the putter grip deeper in my right fingers. I tend to grip too much at the top joint of my fingers which makes the right hand a bit twitchy - easy to rotate wrists when putter is in fingers, more difficult when deeper in palm. Was watching lots of players over the weekend at Abu Dhabi and most have that right hand pretty snug on the grip, not held in the finger tips.

Roll on the big thaw!

Edited: 22/01/2013 at 11:04
Your say
email image
10 messages
Golfmagic on Twitter