Club Face during Take Away

17/03/2009 at 09:12

IIn the last couple of weeks I have gone backwards with my long/middle irons and when working through the basics I believe that during my take away I am keeping the clubface close.

If I stop during my backswing when my hands are about pocket high, the club face seems very closed, imagine if the club face was a clock hand, it would be pointing to about 10.30. Should it not be closer to 12. On a positive not the club is parallel to the target line rather than too far inside which used to be a fault of mine.

Generally what effect would this have on my shots. It feels like I am trying to recover during impact by manipulating my hands. It feels very awkward.

Can anyone confirm if I am thinking along the right lines, or point to any material I can read to get me back on track.

cheers

17/03/2009 at 09:40

Ste,

I was reading the rotary swing website last week and Chuck Quinton said that the clubface should be at 12 o'clock, pointing straight up in the air. This and the shaft pointing at target rather than too far inside, is what I have been working on for the last week. Before each shot, I have been moving the club back to parallel and checking it is on target and clubface up and then re-address adn off I go. It was definitely working for me on Sunday and yesterday. 

17/03/2009 at 10:34
yeah that is along the lines of what I understood, hence my concern when checking my basics, thanks. I guess this will lead to me being in a poor position at the top leading to a poor shot, or having to do something unnatural to get to a decent position at impact leading to inconsistancy
Edited: 17/03/2009 at 10:35
17/03/2009 at 11:55

Read a tip from a tour pro not sure where, but it helped me and was pretty simple:  Concentrate on taking the toe of the club back first.

Hope it helps

17/03/2009 at 14:46
Ste1010 wrote (see)

If I stop during my backswing when my hands are about pocket high, the club face seems very closed, imagine if the club face was a clock hand, it would be pointing to about 10.30. Should it not be closer to 12. On a positive not the club is parallel to the target line rather than too far inside which used to be a fault of mine.

Generally what effect would this have on my shots. It feels like I am trying to recover during impact by manipulating my hands. It feels very awkward.

Can anyone confirm if I am thinking along the right lines, or point to any material I can read to get me back on track.

cheers

Obviously I'm having to guess because I haven't seen your swing, but it sounds to me as though your elbows are starting to seperate, and your right elbow is higher than the left. If this is the case, your swing plane would be a bit steep and probably result in an out to in swing path. You would therefore have to prevent the clubface from squaring at impact to avoid a pull or pull hook.

This lesson on the takeaway might help. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVETDGRk7Mc&feature=channel

For me, the one piece takeaway works best.

17/03/2009 at 15:08
Birdie Boy spot on, this method will always work for you!

I was reading the rotary swing website last week and Chuck Quinton said that the clubface should be at 12 o'clock, pointing straight up in the air. This and the shaft pointing at target rather than too far inside, is what I have been working on for the last week. Before each shot, I have been moving the club back to parallel and checking it is on target and clubface up and then re-address adn off I go. It was definitely working for me on Sunday and yesterday. 

17/03/2009 at 17:31

Ste1010, 

Without any shadow of doubt, one of the most important "key" checks in the backswing is to ensure that, at waist height (or when the club passes a line extended rearwards through your feet), the toe of the club is pointing vertically upwards. Get the club correct at this point and normally the rest of the backswing takes care of itself.

From both a teaching and clubfitting point of view (I do both), the shut-faced player (where the toe is not vertical at waist height and the clubface is pointing towards the graound) encounters more problems. The shut-faced player tends to develop a "reverse-tilt backswing" with an incorrect shoulder turn and rarely flights the ball correctly. Whereas ensuring the toe of the club is vertical at waist height promotes a fuller shoulder turn in the correct plane. Good luck !

17/03/2009 at 17:39
Ste1010 wrote (see)

IIn the last couple of weeks I have gone backwards with my long/middle irons and when working through the basics I believe that during my take away I am keeping the clubface close.

cheers

There is so much research today in golf that most proper coaches with any up to date knowledge would tell you not to worry about this too much.   You might be a bit closed on the takeaway, but if it's perfect at the top of the backswing then who cares about the first bit?

The only thing that counts is what's happening through impact, if there's a problem there then you need to trace backwards to see where the problem is.

In an ideal world with an aesthetically nice swing, the club should be pointing not straight up, but almost straight up, think of it as about 3 minutes to 12 using your analogy.   A lot of the top players will be in this position.

But hey, whoever hit the ball on the backswing??   A closed clubface on the way back never hurt Monty or Furyk!

17/03/2009 at 18:57
i hit balls on my backswing! AHHH Thats makes alot of sense!!
17/03/2009 at 19:23

I like to take it back slightly closed, this stops me rolling it open and getting disconnected. I like to think of L thumb on top of shaft with good right hand pressure on the L thumb at waist high.

I think the position at the top is more important, if it is on plane with your forearm should be good.

17/03/2009 at 21:48

Cheers guys. I have been working in the garden on my takeaway for a few hours today and then been to the range tonight and my ballstriking and actual ballflight were pretty good. It hink I had stopped rotating properly through the backswing which was leading to an 'all arms' takeaway hence the closed face.

I am going to see Dan in a few weeks so hopefully he will sort me out

18/03/2009 at 08:27
Reckless wrote (see)
Obviously I'm having to guess because I haven't seen your swing, but it sounds to me as though your elbows are starting to seperate, and your right elbow is higher than the left. If this is the case, your swing plane would be a bit steep and probably result in an out to in swing path. You would therefore have to prevent the clubface from squaring at impact to avoid a pull or pull hook.

This lesson on the takeaway might help. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVETDGRk7Mc&feature=channel

For me, the one piece takeaway works best.

That's a useful video on the takeaway - thanks.

I think it's OK for the club head to be slightly closed at the 3 O'clock position. Actually I think it is preferred - but what do I know, my takeaway is awful!

Your say
email image