Grip size and its effect on hand action

21 to 40 of 43 messages
17/03/2012 at 22:38
You didn't answer my question about how much the new decade grip costs. I'm guessing you payed a lot for that bit of rubber.

I rest my case!
17/03/2012 at 22:46

You didn't ask me how much the New Decade grip costs.

Thats not the point anyway, the point is that you entered a thread and announced "This isn't very interesting is it!" rather than just let your lack of interest stop you from posting.

You don't have to infect every thread with your guff.

17/03/2012 at 23:07
I started my reply with that but I said more than that, I said,

"This isn't very interesting is it! The swing's the thing. Grips aren't that important but when in doubt stick to regular."

I did comment on the theme of the thread but my computer dyslexia/autism thing popped up in the opening sentence. Take it away and my reply is OK.

I can't help my verbal/typing affliction you know.
17/03/2012 at 23:12

ok but stating "Grips aren't that important" ? I doubt many will agree on this point

17/03/2012 at 23:24
I meant grip thickness is not that important, I also corrected this misunderstanding earlier. The hammer thing.
17/03/2012 at 23:46

Dear me. I'm out of this one.

18/03/2012 at 07:42
Patrick Hughes 2 wrote (see)
I meant grip thickness is not that important, I also corrected this misunderstanding earlier. The hammer thing.

The grip thickness is very important, the wrong grip size will hinder you.

The hammer analogy, like everything you've so far posted in your 3 days here, is absolute nonsense. It's for battering a nail in from a distance of about 6 inches. I've no doubt 'techno geeks' could find an optimum hammer grip size that may let you hammer a nail in with slightly less effort, but why would they?

There's no techno geekery involved in grip sizes, it's just that now we realise that different sizes affect performance, there's no upcharge for having you clubs fitted with the right size of grip, and there's no upcharge for any different size of replacement grip, so what exactly are the geeks conning us about now?

Are they too expensive? Yes, there you have a point, but saying there is no need for a mid-size grip with 4 layers of tape when you have hands like Peter Scmeichel is utter tosh.

18/03/2012 at 13:11
IMHO you should choose a grip to suit the size of your hands, and to ensure you are comfortable griping the club. Hand release is a technique issue and there are no quick wins. Heavy grips will also alter the swing wight significantly
18/03/2012 at 13:34
For 90% of male golfers the standard men's grip is ideal, I do not disagree that some of the Herman Munsters out there need something a little thicker but I did say earlier, get a thicker fit if you feel more comfortable with it. But to say 2mm thicker is going to help your swing doesn't wash with me.

I can shape balls in both directions with any thickness of grip, it just so happens that I am more comfortable with standard size.

I don't think that grip thickness is very important for golfers who swing over the top - 70% at least - Golfers who hold the club wrong - over 90% - golfers who hit a fade on one tee and on the next a pull hook and don't have a clue what's coming next - I could go on and on.

So don't tell me how important grip thickness really is.

For tour pros I would agree that this kind of tweaking makes sense, but for the every day hackers I see. Waken up!

The TG's are tweaking everything for the hackers and the hackers are buying into it. I mean up to $10 for a bit of rubber when we can get a perfectly good grip for $2.

It makes me sick that no one else sees this!
18/03/2012 at 14:02
Are you being deliberately inflammatory Patrick? How does your enormous talent to bend the ball any way with any grip help the op? Yet another thread ruined by nonsense. Grips are important, unless you are lucky enough to be as talented as you.
18/03/2012 at 14:39

Cant we get this thread back on track and ignor this numpty who clearly knows not alot about anything, or close it

18/03/2012 at 18:35

Also can we have prices in pounds instead of dollars, I thought most yanks went to golf wrx anyway?

18/03/2012 at 18:39
Those that are banned from every US forum must end up here.
18/03/2012 at 19:18
I'm Scottish, and in my opinion most people would be better off learning how to swing instead of tweaking clubs like they were a tour pro. Am I not allowed to have an opinion. P.S. I once slept with a yank but he stunk.
18/03/2012 at 22:57
Patrick Hughes 2 wrote (see)
I mean up to $10 for a bit of rubber when we can get a perfectly good grip for $2.It makes me sick that no one else sees this!

What has price got to do with it? You're saying a standard grip is fine. In mnay cases it isn't, so get the grip size that suits you, that'll still be $2, but the right size.

I've already explained this though, so obviously you are too fucking thick to realise this. What an embarrassment to Scotland.

18/03/2012 at 23:16
Right Fatface,

enough of the bad language there's kids reading this.

If I say there's much more important criteria to hit a good golf shot then you should just listen.

I'll repeat, "GRIPS AREN'T THAT IMPORTANT!"
18/03/2012 at 23:37

What you gonna do Reg, go down the pub, have 20 pints of Stella and 4 curries,  then get the hickory shafts out? Oh how we laughed.

18/03/2012 at 23:41
I refuse to talk off theme
19/03/2012 at 00:30
I answered this really smart reply already.

I didn't say that holding onto the club wasn't important and if you're going to hold it, then a rubber grip isn't a bad idea.

I will repeat what I have already said...

For 90% of male golfers the standard men's grip is ideal, I do not disagree that some of the Herman Munsters out there need something a little thicker but I did say earlier, get a thicker fit if you feel more comfortable with it. But to say 2mm thicker is going to help your swing doesn't wash with me.

I can shape balls in both directions with any thickness of grip, it just so happens that I am more comfortable with standard size.

I don't think that grip thickness is very important for golfers who swing over the top - 70% at least - Golfers who hold the club wrong - over 90% - golfers who hit a fade on one tee and on the next a pull hook and don't have a clue what's coming next - I could go on and on.

So don't tell me how important grip thickness really is.

For tour pros I would agree that this kind of tweaking makes sense, but for the every day hackers I see. Waken up!

The TG's are tweaking everything for the hackers and the hackers are buying into it. I mean up to $10 for a bit of rubber when we can get a perfectly good grip for $2.

It makes me sick that no one else sees this!
20/03/2012 at 00:05
Different size hands need different size grips. Simple. Thin grip equals hookers grip and fat grip equals slicers grip. Why make it more difficult than you need to. The only people that think it's not important probably think hickory is still a good thing - yawn !
21 to 40 of 43 messages
Golfmagic on Twitter