How can I find 20 extra yards?

29/04/2009 at 23:51
In an earlier thread I posted that I can get around the course shooting on or near my handicap whilst being a fairly short hitter.  But, I need to find 20 extra yards to improve my driving distance for another reason.  Any tips? 
Edited: 29/04/2009 at 23:54
29/04/2009 at 23:53
learn to draw the ball. if you dont already that will add a few yards. i hit 2 drives on a hole today one was a high cut the other a draw there was 43 yards between the 2 !!!!!!
29/04/2009 at 23:55
I already have a slight draw to my normal shot shape.
30/04/2009 at 00:06

well im all out of ideas hehe

somthing ive been doing latley is getting a deep shoulder turn and really cocking my wrists

30/04/2009 at 00:37
Using one of these every day for a couple of weeks got me an extra 10 yards without changing anything

http://www.nsdpowerballs.com

(I don't work for them btw)
Edited: 30/04/2009 at 00:38
30/04/2009 at 00:40

3 wood?

I can hit my three a lot lower than my driver and add a little bit of draw to that and it ain't kicking the a=*e off being longer than my cobra. 20 yards longer will be hard to come by though.

30/04/2009 at 01:03

You must have solid technique and consistency to shoot the scores that you do. You prolly also have good "smash factor". The extra yards you seek will come from increased swing speed or from maximising overall distance from the same swing speed. 

I've recently been through this with my wife, who has a low swing speed (prolly much lower than yours). We went through everything and in the final analysis getting a driver that gave a better trajectory and more bounce and roll seemed the best route forwards. So I picked one for her And for once something actually worked, she's gained 25 or more yds in the last 3 weeks. In her case it was a change from a Ladies 14* TM driver to a Men's Cobra 10.5* driver. I suspect you already use a Men's driver, but it may be possible to fine-tune to produce a ball-flight which will maximise overall distance.

Otherwise, its a question of increasing swing speed which is not easily achieved, by doing strength building stuff in a gym (yuck!), or working on technique to produce more lag (takes forever to change and not easy to achieve).  So I think maxing your potential distance with what you already have is the way to go, and that means getting the best possible driver fit.

30/04/2009 at 08:01

Don't ladies already get an extra 20 yards plus on every hole with their tees being way ahead of the mens, bit of a cheek asking us to help you get even further down the fairway.

You know I don't mean that Kate.

I'm afraid you'll just need to bulk up and get fitted for the optimum driver for you.

30/04/2009 at 08:03
I'm guessing that you're pretty accurate with your driver, Kate? Have you considered trying a longer than standard shaft? Maybe going to something a couple of inches longer.
30/04/2009 at 08:11
I've not got my "Golf Quotations" book to hand but one of the older superstars of golf was asked this and he replied, "Hit it harder son", or something like that.
30/04/2009 at 08:56

LGL,

Have you considered changing your ball ?

Do you, like most people, play with a ProV1 ? I find they hit my distance in comparison to a mid range 2 piece ball like the AD333 or NXT.

30/04/2009 at 09:02

Thanks guys - all good suggestions I think.  I'm stupidly looking for a magic answer when I really know there isn't one.

It's probably the driver that I'm using but I've tried a few and to be honest I don't really know where to go to get an "honest" opinion of what suits me best. 

I am currently using a 13.5 degree G10 head on a ladies shaft!  But I hit it well and I rarely miss a fairway, it's just short!!!! (About 210 yards).   I don't hit a high ball so the loft on this driver really suits me. I know I should swing faster but I don't don't seem to be able to do it, I instinctively control the shot.The stupid thing is that I used to hit it further with the same club? 

I know in the next few weeks when the fairways start rolling I will get more yardage but that's temporary so it's  not the answer. 

30/04/2009 at 09:08
do you know your swing speed? What's your 150 club?
30/04/2009 at 09:14

LGL (5) wrote (see)
I am currently using a 13.5 degree G10 head on a ladies shaft!  But I hit it well and I rarely miss a fairway, it's just short!!!! (About 210 yards).   I don't hit a high ball so the loft on this driver really suits me. I know I should swing faster but I don't don't seem to be able to do it, I instinctively control the shot.The stupid thing is that I used to hit it further with the same club?

Contorl vs distance....

for a low handicapper the magic in adding 20 yards

1 - Spending a lot of money on golf gear... balls..lastest shaft, lastes heads

2- Go to the gym...

30/04/2009 at 09:34

LGL (5) wrote (see)

But I hit it well and I rarely miss a fairway, it's just short!!!! (About 210 yards).  

Well, that's 10 yards more than me - and I also hit with a draw!! 

30/04/2009 at 09:55
210 yards seems pretty good to me, and swing speed would proberly be around 85mph
30/04/2009 at 10:01

Knowing your game , I would suggest you have  a day out at a decent custom fit facility and mess around with different set ups of lofts and shafts to see if that teaches you anything.

You have a good game - don't mess with it too much! 

30/04/2009 at 10:08
Ian wrote (see)

Knowing your game , I would suggest you have  a day out at a decent custom fit facility and mess around with different set ups of lofts and shafts to see if that teaches you anything.

You have a good game - don't mess with it too much! 

Exactamondo!
30/04/2009 at 10:32
LGL (5) wrote (see)

Sounds to me like too much loft and too soft a shaft. You are too good a golfer now to be using a club designed for a 65 year old lady that struggles to get the ball in the air. I'd have a wee wager that if you switched to a lower loft men's reg shafted driver within a month you'd have found those extra 20yds.
30/04/2009 at 10:54
Creosote wrote (see)
LGL (5) wrote (see)

Sounds to me like too much loft and too soft a shaft. You are too good a golfer now to be using a club designed for a 65 year old lady that struggles to get the ball in the air. I'd have a wee wager that if you switched to a lower loft men's reg shafted driver within a month you'd have found those extra 20yds.
Joe - on some days that's just how I feel lol.  Especially when I'm up against a 14 year old in a County match!