How do you stop hitting of the heel

14 messages
12/10/2005 at 21:29
Just been told that the cause of my fade/slice is by hitting the ball of the heel or towards the heel of the club. My bad shots are a slightly outside to in swing path of about 3º or 4º the face of the club open about 1º and hitting the ball about 1 to 1.5 inchs towards the heel from the sweet spot. Has anyone any drills or tips to help me hit more towards the sweetspot of the club
12/10/2005 at 21:51
i had that problem.

set up with the clubface an inch or two towards the toe, its unconventional, and somewhat risky, but its worked for me.
12/10/2005 at 22:04
Just stand a bit further away
12/10/2005 at 22:33
Both above answers are spot on.

You might try a bit of both, hitting off the heel with my woods is a problem i suffer with, initially to compensate for it i addressed the ball right off the toe (and i do mean right off the edge of the toe) and then swing as normal... boom - results in sweetspot being hit.

Since a lesson ive had my pro says i was stood too close to the ball which i would never have thought i did, i always felt i was reaching as it was, thing is my spine was too erect, i felt like i was leaning but i wasnt leaning enough which made me feel like i was reaching for the ball...

Now i address the ball as normal, take a step backwards with both feet 3 inches and lean a little more forward till i feel the balance on the balls of my feet and tee the ball up off the toe of the driver...

Try it...
12/10/2005 at 22:39
Not sure if i said that clearly...

My feet are now 3 inches further away from the ball as i step backwards away from the ball with both feet, i then lean those 3 inches further forward which gets my spine in the correct position whilst maintaining the correct distance from the ball which allows the club room to swing.

A good drill to check your distance from the ball is to take your address position, the end of the clubs grip should be about 1 full hands width away from your leg, you should be able to get a hand between the end of the clubs grip and your leg.
13/10/2005 at 17:08
Dont forget when you address the ball with a driver at set up, it is without momentum.

When you swing the big stick round it is going to pull forward a tad with centrifugal force.

Allow a bit for this in set up. Off the toe end works as LoCo suggests
14/10/2005 at 11:54
Make sure you are not rocking forward onto the balls of your feet during the swing, try and keep your feet firmly planted.
14/10/2005 at 15:00
.... and your balls out of it.
19/10/2005 at 09:58
Nick H, I have always understood standing further away from the ball to cure a sh*nk to be the WORST thing you can possibly do. All it encourages is a stoop at address combined with over-reaching with the hands through the ball, thereby making the problem worse. It is a temporary cure at best.

Most problems stem from address and the best tip I ever had, to cure just this problem, was to make sure I stood tall to the ball with a good spine angle, and maintained that posture through the swing. Maintaining height through the ball is an absolute must and is the one thing that makes all the difference to my game.
19/10/2005 at 18:11
Fix your swing path. Anything else is a band-aid.
01/07/2012 at 22:25

I had the same probelm but I later found that it was because somewhere in my swing i get my weight on the fron of my feet. I know try to keep my weight on my heels and swing normaly.

02/07/2012 at 01:17
Just like tom says! feel the weight balanced evenly between your toes and heels and make sure you transfer your weight into your left heel through impact /follow through. ...
30/07/2012 at 19:49

@Hacker the Dambuster "Make sure you are not rocking forward onto the balls of your feet during the swing"

@Tom Howells "...somewhere in my swing i get my weight on the front of my feet"

- you guys are spot on.  i'm fighting this right now.  it happens a little during my backswing, but A LOT during my through swing.  it is ridiculously frustrating.

@golf_bhoy(11.9) "Fix your swing path."

- why didn't i think of that?

31/07/2012 at 23:51
Zorro (15.2) wrote (see)
Just been told that the cause of my fade/slice is by hitting the ball of the heel or towards the heel of the club. My bad shots are a slightly outside to in swing path of about 3º or 4º the face of the club open about 1º and hitting the ball about 1 to 1.5 inchs towards the heel from the sweet spot. Has anyone any drills or tips to help me hit more towards the sweetspot of the club

Relative to your swing path, your clubface is 4* or 5* open. I'd say, learn to square up the clubface to your path so that at least ball flight is straight, even if you then have a pull to deal with.

I think too open a clubface can lead to heel hits and shanks - so consider this a BOGOF deal.

Your say
email image
14 messages
Golfmagic on Twitter