How to get a more shallow swing

1 to 20 of 22 messages
31/12/2011 at 17:02

Can anybody suggest how to shallow out my swing with my irons, taking deep divots and losing a bit of distance

On occasion the old out to in swing fault creeps in, could this be causing the steep swing plane ?

Driver is perfect ( well alot better ) so seems to have correct plane, iron play long, mid short irons all have way too deep a divot

Help !

31/12/2011 at 17:58
Set up a little further from the ball. Compensate for this by leaning over a little more. And rotate the forearms once the backswing is started. This should get the club more behind you instead of on top of you. The aim is to get the club deep and wide instead of shallow and steep.
31/12/2011 at 20:50

Thankyou , would the out to in swing path also play a part ?

31/12/2011 at 21:27

The swing plane, path and angle of attack are linked directly.

If you are steep into the ball you will probably be a little out to in and above plane.

To shallow out the swing you need to swing a little more from the inside

01/01/2012 at 08:01

Forgot to 'Oh no!' his one while I was here earlier.

Wolfman. Have you actually been told (by a suitably qualified expert of course) that you need to make your swing shallower? If not, go see one and get professional advice about your swing, not your symptoms! Though don't let yourself get treated as a cash cow.

My swing is 'quite steep' for my height but I generally don't take divots, so the condition (notice I didn't say fault) and the symptom are not necessarily related. Taller players tend/have to have steeper swings. Seve (about 6'2") was very steep. Plenty believe his attempts to flatten his swing contributed significantly to his waywardness.  

Are the divots actually straight at the target and even? If so, then you are probably (only) hitting the ball before clubhead has reached the bottom of its arc. Many fundamental reasons possible  for that. If divot's point left (assuming righty player) then out-to-in swing path. Your Pro should be able to see and correct much better than the bunch of hackers most of us are on here. A swing vid would probably help Bob and /or Pasty (non-hackers) do the same. 

Pengwyn. Nothing personal, but you've demonstrated what peeves me about the advice we hackers give.  'Rotate Forearms'? It's a language thing because it's physically impossible to rotate a forearm (only)! The mssage you or I are trying to get across gets lost or misinterpreted so easily when only words are used. 

Wolfman. If you are coming out-to-in, a simple drill (courtesy of Vijay Singh) is to place a water bottle behind the ball and slightly outside the target line. Avoiding hitting the bottle is the aim. Start off get with quite a bit of tolerance then get a bit moe demanding. Also demonstrates that it's the sub-conscious brain that governs most of the swing. Its priorities are 1. Not falling on our face or back. 2. Not hurting ourself. Hitting a golf ball the correct distance in the intended direction is way down its list!

01/01/2012 at 10:02

Thanks guys, i have tried variations of the drill suggested using tees etc

On occasion i am aware of the out to in as divots points slightly left of target

But it still doesnt explain why the deep divots and loss of distance

I am a big guy so i can muscle it through but would prefer to take a small divot

i have been guilty in the past of starting the downswing with my right shoulder hence the out to in effect, my lessons improved that and got me starting with my weight shift, hips etc causing my arms to drop more on the downswing and a more inside swing

01/01/2012 at 10:37
Foxholer wrote (see)

Pengwyn. Nothing personal, but you've demonstrated what peeves me about the advice we hackers give.  'Rotate Forearms'? It's a language thing because it's physically impossible to rotate a forearm (only)! The mssage you or I are trying to get across gets lost or misinterpreted so easily when only words are used.

this

I absolutely hate 'duffers advice', it is nearly always cliched nonsense.

01/01/2012 at 11:38

No it shouldn't be one of the busiest, though no doubt you could make it so with your point scoring pish.

Bad and/or ill advised advice is worse than no advice at all.   Advice based on not even seeing someone swing? Give me a break. But then with the content-less nonsense you post, no surprise.

01/01/2012 at 11:40

I take it you didn't get that 9 in? shame for all of us.

01/01/2012 at 11:54

01/01/2012 at 15:01

Why is it that on GM now you ask a question, some advice arrives and then it ends in conflict from a few members on here, what has gone wrong it never was like this some time back ? Its very sad for a forum to decline as at one time this was the best for help, tips and advice, now i am not sure any more

01/01/2012 at 15:06

nowhere else to look mate

just put up with some of the prattle on here and enjoy the rest of the banter.

Wolfman wrote (see)

oh dear GM is really going down hill , i think time to look else where perhaps ?

01/01/2012 at 15:13
Why are so many petulant children frequenting this site now. Shouldn't we have an age limit to deter these childish posts attacking each other. What should be a simple discussion on flattening the swing becomes childish sniping about points and the classic "you shouldn't have an opinion coz your not a pro" brigade. FCOL even the pro's on the site are told not to have an opinion from the know it all hcap golfers. This site is seriously going downhill.
01/01/2012 at 15:31

Back to the op..........

If your divots are still deep, where is your ball positioned in relation to your stance...forward, middle or back?

I still think occassionally you slip back to your old ways, come over the top and get steep. The proof is the divots pointing left.

01/01/2012 at 16:52

Never been my problem, i'm always working on trying to get my swing steeper but I know one thing my coach always told me and that was that I have a shallow takeaway because I didn't hinge my wrists early enough, which never made sense to me

01/01/2012 at 17:57

Some of the divots the pro's take are like fireside carpets

Paddyjk wrote (see)

How deep is deep? I have always been a bit of a trench digger, it gets worse at this time of year though, but for me a good divot is a sign that I am swinging well. What direction do the divots point ?

01/01/2012 at 18:11

Thanks guys some good information, my divots i guess are 3/4" to 1" deep and have a slight point left of target or they are straight

Ball position for mid irons 6,7,8 centre of stance and then slightly back by 1" for 9, PW , 48 deg wedge 

Do you think my ball position is a tad back to far ?

Incidently using my hybrid no.4 rescue, ball forward by 2" from centre, i hit it well with little to no divot so maybe the ball position is the key ??? 

01/01/2012 at 21:06

Just a little left mostly

02/01/2012 at 10:06
Wolfman wrote (see)

Can anybody suggest how to shallow out my swing with my irons, taking deep divots and losing a bit of distance

On occasion the old out to in swing fault creeps in, could this be causing the steep swing plane ?

Driver is perfect ( well alot better ) so seems to have correct plane, iron play long, mid short irons all have way too deep a divot

Help !

Almost every (right handed) golfer that I've ever seen with a downswing that is too steep (including myself) has a lot of tension in the right arm, shoulder, wrist and hand at the start of the downswing.

Instead of the hands, arms and the club just "dropping" somewhere towards the right hip into a good swing plane at the start of the downswing, everything gets pushed towards the toes, normally followed by a steep plane, out to in path and often a chicken-wing follow through.

One of the best cures for this that I have found is to hit a load of balls with just your left hand holding the club, so just swinging your left arm.   It's highly probably you will miss the first few balls completely, and your arm will ache, but after even 20 or so balls you may well find when you go back to hitting it normally with two hands on the club, that the right side is not so dominant.   If you continue to hit 20 balls just with the left arm between 20 balls with two hands I believe it will help.   It's a bitch of a problem though so you need to stick with it.

02/01/2012 at 12:59

Had a session at the range this morning and i think i have found the fault perhaps ?

I was not shifting my weight to the front foot enough sometimes leaving it late or weight on the back foot

Tried to work hard on this today and contact and distance improved alot

I think this is a fault i have had for a long time and i found if i took a couple of practice swings thinking hard of shifting my weight to the front before the start of the downswing the actual golf shot that followed was better and not a steep strike.

I am aware of the weight shift being crucial now !

1 to 20 of 22 messages
Golfmagic on Twitter