Lack of distance with my irons !!!!!!

15 messages
09/04/2012 at 21:25

Can anyone help, im not a big hitter I know but lately ive been getting very similar distances with my 7, 6 and 5 irons and also very short with 8, 9 and pw.

Ive had lots of lessons and the pro says I need to release my hands but at the last lesson he said I was doing it and it was all ok the distance will come.

Anyways there does not seem to be a change its like waiting for never.

HELPPPPPPPPP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

09/04/2012 at 22:23

Do you know what your distances are for each iron, and what irons are you using. It could be that you are expecting more than what is reasonable for your technique and tools.

I'm not a big hitter, my mate is at least 1-2 irons better than me, but he is giving me 10 shots. Better to be accurate and a tad short than wayward and long.

09/04/2012 at 22:25

Hi I hit a 7 iron around 130 yrds and my clubs are Ping G20

10/04/2012 at 00:38

tbh the better you hit the ball the longer it will go

JMD
10/04/2012 at 02:01

Check your divots, if any???, do they start after you strike the ball, if not you could be adding loft to the club which in turn adds spin which in turn means ballooning balls which will lack in distance. 

10/04/2012 at 02:56

cheers think it sounds right, hardly any divot. what do I do about that ?

JMD
10/04/2012 at 03:36

Have you heard of the Tour Striker? Have a look at the website and will explain it better, never tried one and am tempted myself. Just a thought. 

10/04/2012 at 07:35

So are you saying no divot equates to a loss of distance? 

I hardly take a divot and have no distance issues, especially with my driver ... If you have a proper practice range, get a clicker of balls and a spray them with some paint. When you hit them they will indicate your impact zone. 

Look also at your weight transfer as well... Going through the ball adds more distance thanback swing.

JMD
10/04/2012 at 09:00

No, just your divot (whether you are a sweeper/picker - small divot or say a digger - Jesper Parnavik comes to mind) should begin after impact. 

Nicklaus said the idea is to catch the ball at the lowest point of the club's apex, where the arc of the swing is the widest. So the low point of the club head swing arc is in front of the ball. Doesn't come naturally to me and at times can impart too much spin, equating to lack of distance etc.. 

10/04/2012 at 11:22

I dunno I always consider a thick divot to be related to a bad swing or poor equipment set up. Nicklaus always said a divot should be around a couple of dollar bills thick, besides leaving divots that big is a royal pain in the backside as we don't get any drop out!!

13/04/2012 at 09:03

Just to say thanks to all the guys who posted comments, especially sorebits.

Your thoughts put me on the right track, and after a trip to the range and a brief discussion with the guy who is giving me lessons it turns out I had the dreaded reverse pivot !!!!.

Anyways he told me I was leading with my right arm and by relaxing my shoulders and thinking of pulling through with my left arm, my shots are now flying and i'm taking a nice divot.

Once again cheers to you all for putting me back on track.

13/04/2012 at 10:28

Reverse pivot .. swaying basically, hence my comment about going through the ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j05Q_M2xZ98

quite interesting that he points his foot at the target .. I do this myself as it does promote coming through more and aids balance (plus not rolling the ankle etc..)

13/04/2012 at 18:13

chris a divot shouldnt be a dollar bill thick, he meant the length and width. i mean if it was that thick well it would be as thick as a bit of paper and you wouwlnt even take a divot.

if your not taking a divot in soft nice grass, then your not hitting it at the lowest point of your arc as sorebits says, and your not hitting it as well as you can. 

13/04/2012 at 19:58
Josh The Nosh wrote (see)

chris a divot shouldnt be a dollar bill thick, he meant the length and width. i mean if it was that thick well it would be as thick as a bit of paper and you wouwlnt even take a divot.

if your not taking a divot in soft nice grass, then your not hitting it at the lowest point of your arc as sorebits says, and your not hitting it as well as you can. 

Thats the problem with practicing off matts

14/04/2012 at 03:00

?????????? what is?

Your say
email image
15 messages
Golfmagic on Twitter