Rushing down from the top

5 messages
05/11/2010 at 16:15
I'm pretty certain that part of my lost power is due to starting the downswing at the proverbial 100 mph so that by the time I'm contacting the ball I've lost it.

Anyone got thoughts on this? And any tips for permanently slowing it down?
05/11/2010 at 16:34
nothing wrong with a fast downswing (just look at Tiger off the tee!). What you want to try and avoid is an early release. Maybe get out on the grass and practice holding the release back and stop the left shoulder from dipping around. There was quite a good tips section in this months Golf Monthly (or World) looking at exactly this with Stenson. Might be worth having a look.
05/11/2010 at 17:29
Get a lesson off a decent pro to test your theory out... Could be a bunch of different  reasons.
05/11/2010 at 17:35

Place both your hands with your arms extended on a wall to your right.

Now turn your body to the left without your hands leaving the wall.

Do you feel what happens?

That's the first thing that should happen in the downswing and should ideally occur just as your reaching the finish of your back swing i.e your top half is still going backwards as your lower half starts moving towards the target.

There was a link on this a while back.

05/11/2010 at 17:44
Spartacus (9.9) wrote (see)

That's the first thing that should happen in the downswing and should ideally occur just as your reaching the finish of your back swing i.e your top half is still going backwards as your lower half starts moving towards the target.

There was a link on this a while back.

Spartacus (9.9) wrote (see)

A distinct cracking noise

Your say
email image
5 messages
Golfmagic on Twitter