Why do i duff my chips?

12 messages
11/08/2004 at 23:51
please can somebody help me by telling me why i duff my chip shots from just off the green?
11/08/2004 at 23:59
Possibly not commiting to the shot and decelerating (spelling) into the ball or maybe the fringe is dry and stiff in which case the clubhead can slide under the ball a bit, if the latter try taking a club or two longer than you think and adjust your swing.
12/08/2004 at 09:40
play ball way back in stance (level with back foot) and keep all your weight on your front foot. Then you can only hit down on it.

Feels a bit weird but really works.
12/08/2004 at 09:53
Chip,
Do you 'chase the ball' before you've hit it? I found that I was looking to see where the ball had gone before I actually hit it resulting in thinned shots and duffed chips. I now concentrate on staring at the ball while playing the shot and only look up to see where the ball is once I have finished my follow through!

12/08/2004 at 10:27
Bloody hard to say without seeing it...

What do you think of this shirt?
12/08/2004 at 13:12
A bit garish - leave that sort of caper to the young ones. I take it you've still got the receipt?
12/08/2004 at 22:06
Bl**dy H**l Ian, where did I put me shades!!
13/08/2004 at 07:52
-- am I missing summat here?
13/08/2004 at 08:46
Perhaps you should watch the lady golfers a bit more closely.....

;-)
17/08/2004 at 10:04
depends on what you mean by duffing. If you,ve got Sky try catching some of the Dave Pelz programs on the Golf Channel (golf academy)
29/08/2004 at 11:02
Everyone is different but I'd agree with a
couple of points in the forum.

1) You have got to be positive and
committed (hard with a little chip on a
fast slopy green I know!).

2) Moving the ball back in the stance is
great if you haven't got anything to
obstruct the path of the ball. As most
duffs come from the club head sliding
under the ball, this makes you strike
down on the ball a bit. Can also be
useful as it gives greater
control...less room for error if you
are not trying to lob the ball up in
the air, and it can exrt a bit of spin
to control the roll.

For the really short ones on the fringe use the old putting stroke technigue with your sand wedge or with a longer iron for less loft and greater roll.
29/08/2004 at 19:58
Had a chipping lesson last week with my club pro.
He asked me to take my usual address (shoulders level with the slope and narrow stance) to a ball on the up-slope behind the green and play the shot with a view of getting real close.
Nowhere near as usual.
He then asked that I "take out the slope" by addressing the ball with a legs nearly together and about ten degrees left of target, weight on the front foot, and play a firm 18 inch (same back as forward) putting stroke.
The club head slid under the ball and into the bank while the ball popped up nicely to clear the hump and stopped on the green about a foot from the flag.
Ten repeats show this is not fluke.
The same routine was used on the down-side into the green but the club stalls in the grass behind the ball and gives a nice bump over the fringe.
A committed stroke and no looking up is the key to any golf shot.
Emphasis must be on the word STROKE.
You do not "HIT THE F***er" you stroke the club through where the ball is.
Your say
email image
12 messages
Golfmagic on Twitter