I knew there'd be an argument

1 to 20 of 82 messages
07/11/2011 at 18:05

First senior (new member) caught using one of these today.

Not by me but by one of the low 'cappers who also knows about these things.

He wasn't happy - came out with all the rationales about a compass not being any assistance to playing golf di dah di dah di dah.

He came to me to whinge and I told him that his phone was illegal in comps

. . . as he had already been informed.

07/11/2011 at 18:19

I asked the Secretary/Manager at our place about using smart phones as DMD's. He and his staff don't understand the technology and therfore are allowing any smart phone to be used. I can't be bothered explaining the problem they're potentially giving themselves. Tell your senior member to move up here and he can use his phone all he wants!

07/11/2011 at 18:41

I would like to know this also

Taz wrote (see)

He wasn't happy - came out with all the rationales about a compass not being any assistance to playing golf di dah di dah di dah.

if you are using it as a DMD you are not going to flick through the apps to see your compass .......... oh look, I'm facing north east so I better take an extra club .

TBH the compass excuse is wearing a bit thin if you ask me.

07/11/2011 at 18:49

Its not an excuse its simply the rules.

07/11/2011 at 18:50

^ or maybe flicking through your bag of clubs for that 15th club?

Illegal is illegal no?

07/11/2011 at 19:03

For me it's right there with no drop from an unrepaired divot, a pointless and destructive rule.

I really can't see the issue with having a compass, slopemeters perhaps, but what useful information is a compass really going to give?

07/11/2011 at 19:08

There are penty of stupid rules in golf, are you two advocating ignoring rules which you find stupid?

07/11/2011 at 19:11
Surely the best option is to change the stupid rule.
07/11/2011 at 19:11

Nope, not in the slightest, I just can't imagine why it exists.

07/11/2011 at 19:21

Obviously it's to identify the wind direction such that if you are in an area sheltered from the wind but hitting into a windy area you will be able to determine approximate direction.  To allow DMDs would mean the software would have to ensure that the compass is not enabled for the golf GPS (which it is for the car GPS).  Then you have an argument as to whether the compass facility is on or not and then you get another argument.  I would imagine the R&A took the simpler option of making illegal all DMDs with a built in compass, whether enabled or not. 

Personally I don't see the compass being any real benefit for the vast majority of golfers and is probably one that will be discussed time and again by the R&A. 

However, I have a CaddyLite because it is easy to read and, just as important, waterproof.  I wouldn't like to see my smartphone getting soaked and ruined in the typical weather we have here in Scotland. 

07/11/2011 at 19:22

Oh yes, and I brought it to the attention of our handicap convenor at one of our meetings, especially as I knew one of the other lads on the committee was using his iPhone as a DMD.

And at the moment those are the rules of golf.  As has been said, there are lots of rules in golf we don't all agree with but you can't ignore them just because they don't suit you.

If you feel that strongly, I suggest you write to the R&A

DH
07/11/2011 at 19:28

Compasses have been banned ever since Adam was a lad, what has changed golf courses or the weather or the orientation of the earth to make the RBs change their minds?

07/11/2011 at 20:26

You can remove the compass app from the phone (iPhone at least), had he done that? Would that make it legal??

07/11/2011 at 20:29
Kefkef wrote (see)

You can remove the compass app from the phone (iPhone at least), had he done that? Would that make it legal??

according to randa it would still be illegal.

07/11/2011 at 21:06

Just thing about your lovely Pings, that will make you feel better

07/11/2011 at 21:29
CS (15.3) wrote (see)
I'm going to puke if we go round in another circle.

But how do you know if you have gone round in a complete circle unless you have a compass to check?

07/11/2011 at 21:31
This topic really does get people confused...... Compasses are not banned. You can carry one in your bag if you want. It is using the compass that is illegal. However where the DMD is concerned having any app that is deemed illegal makes the DMD non conforming. Simply having it on the phone makes it illegal. You don't have to use it. Why? The rule was written to allow for lasers which had the slope option. Without checking every laser rangefinder to see if the slope was switched off they simply wrote the rule to make any DMD that "could" break the rules Non conforming. And this is where it gets ridiculous. You can carry the phone in your pocket, with the compass app and you are not breaking the rules. But if you turn on the DMD function on the phone you are now breaking the rules. REDICULOUS. The compass app cannot be removed from the iPhone. It is undeletable, if that is a word? If you could delete the iPhone would be fine to use. Oh and yes. I did write to the r&a and even they agreed the rule as it is now is confusing and not ideal. A shame they never clarified things when they had the chance.
DH
07/11/2011 at 22:36
BT@Home (8) wrote (see)
Kefkef wrote (see)

according to randa it would still be illegal.

How would it be illegal if the app is not actually on the phone?

Or did you mean switched off?

07/11/2011 at 23:12

I've a small length of magnetised steel on a string....

07/11/2011 at 23:13
Caffeineted wrote (see)

I've a small length of magnetised steel on a string....

Whatever turns you on!

1 to 20 of 82 messages
Golfmagic on Twitter