Prize Vouchers

17/11/2011 at 11:43

I queried in a previous thread the legality( in a golfing sense ) of spending prize vouchers in "unusual" ways. DH terminated the thread by saying "watch this space" there may be changes a-coming and they have, as we now know.

And from first of Jan prize vouchers can be used to purchase goods and services from a golf club. I understand that this includes food and drink and even subscriptions.

I wonder how many golf clubs will actually go for this. There is no direct benefit to a club in allowing this but it could be detrimental to the poor old pro who may see his income reduced. What is likely to happen in your club?

DH
17/11/2011 at 15:24

The pro 'manages' all our comps. I don't see us taking the vouchers away from him.

Although we already give M&S vouchers for Open and Invitation Days as it saves people from some distance away hanging around til the end.

17/11/2011 at 15:53
DH wrote (see)

The pro 'manages' all our comps. I don't see us taking the vouchers away from him.

Although we already give M&S vouchers for Open and Invitation Days as it saves people from some distance away hanging around til the end.

Why not use golf union vouchers? I've never come across an open here where it's not SGU vouchers. Anyone not at the prizegiving gets them sent, standard procedure.

DH
17/11/2011 at 16:19

As far as I know the EGU don't do vouchers.

However, the men players like them because their wives will be happy to let them go away for the day again. 

The lady players like them because they are M&S. 

17/11/2011 at 18:46

It is something due to be debated in our club. The directors say as it's a financial matter it's their decision and I know the Financial Director is greatly in favour of it being used in the club as it means more revenue for the club. The Captain reckons it's up to the Captains committee and I know the Seniors Chairman is in favour of it remaining with the Pro as the seniors get a 10% kickback on the vouchers.

What we used to was to leave it to the member to decide if they wanted to spend half of the money in the bar and half in the proshop or all in the pro shop until the R&A said it all had to go to the pro. Stupid rule really because it meant I could spend the money in the pro shop to buy a bottle of drink but could not spend it over the bar to buy the same drink.

Great change in the rules by the R&A.

18/11/2011 at 08:47

Currently, most of our vouchers are redeemed in the pro-shop and no doubt this represents several thousands of profit for her.But if it becomes just as easy to pass the vouchers over the bar then it is possible that many members will opt to spend their vouchers in this way.

Actually, I don't think that it will create an increase in revenue for the bar. Members will simply be spending vouchers instead of their own cash so there probably won't be an increase in revenue.

But for some lucky members they could have a choice about how to use their vouchers, which is obviously a good thing. The pro will lose revenue which, if significant, is a bad thing.

I'm surprised that pros generally have not given voice to concerns about this. And Committees will have to wrestle with the dilemma of how to keep the members happy without upsetting the pro.

18/11/2011 at 09:37
John Evans 9 wrote (see)

Actually, I don't think that it will create an increase in revenue for the bar. Members will simply be spending vouchers instead of their own cash so there probably won't be an increase in revenue.

I must admit I had not considered that point.

One point though is giving vouchers which have to be spent in the bar would mean that the ' change the shoes in the car park and I am off ' brigade would actually be contributing more to the club.

When you look at our club accounts, which fully detail the Pros remuneration, then our pro could hardly be described as 'hard up'.

From a personal point though there is nothing in the pro shop that I really want. So what I do is to get something which is on "Sale" then resell it on Ebay and that money is then spent over the bar.

18/11/2011 at 10:12

Our pro shop is part of the club, hence it makes zero difference.

19/11/2011 at 10:51

Does that mean you can go in to the Proshop and order a pint of beer or a glass of wine?

19/11/2011 at 16:23
JimP ( 7.9) wrote (see)

Does that mean you can go in to the Proshop and order a pint of beer or a glass of wine?

Do I need a drink to understand what you are going on about?

Your say
email image