Bunker Full Of Casual Water?

31/05/2007 at 22:30
You knock your ball into a bunker full of casual water.There's no place at all for a stance or to place the ball without either foot or ball underwater.
What's the ruling??
DH
31/05/2007 at 23:01
You can drop it in the bunker where the interference from the water is least. ie you don't have to take full relief.
Or with a penalty stroke, drop it outside the bunker keeping the point where the ball lay directly between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped, with no limit to how far behind the bunker the ball may be dropped. (25-1b(ii)(b)
You may also go back to where you last played, with a penalty (28a)
Edited: 01/06/2007 at 00:02
01/06/2007 at 06:35
This is covered by Decision 25-1b/8
http://www.usga.org/playing/rules/books/decisions/dec25.html#25-1b/8

In addition to the 3 options mentioned:
1. drop in the bunker without penalty,
2. drop behind the bunker on the line hole/ball
3. replay the stroke

the player has the other 2 options under Rule 28 -
4. drop the ball within 2 clublengths,
5. drop the ball on a line ball/hole

These last 2 options require the ball to be dropped in the bunker with a penalty stroke - really not very interesting, when the only thing the player wants, is to out of this mess.

01/06/2007 at 08:18
The other option, probably of little interest to the player, is to play it as it lies.
01/06/2007 at 08:25
The player can do that, and he can place his club in the water behind the ball, as long as he does not ground it.

10/07/2007 at 07:35
Just reading this as this happened at the weekend. in RD's reply can these be closer to the hole but within the bunker?
DEC
10/07/2007 at 07:53
No, not nearer the hole.
10/07/2007 at 09:24
OK... we had this discussion in the club house. If the bunker is full of water you can drop out under penalty even if its closer to the hole. Of course the closer will be based on stance etc and not taking the pee. I thought this was wrong but as didn't know couldn't say for sure... I think I'll dig my rule book out and carry it around from now on :-)
10/07/2007 at 09:27
You are never allowed to drop nearer the hole than the original posistion of th ball.

(As always - there is an exeption, but this is when a player drops a ball in a drop zone.
And only it that case.)
10/07/2007 at 11:12
peachy...
my reply to you would be stay out of the bloody thing in the first place!
10/07/2007 at 23:29
Rules-Doc said:

The player can do that, and he can place his club in the water behind the ball, as long as he does not ground it.

I was in this exact situation today and I decided to play it as it lay. I knew i could place the club in the water but as i did so the ball moved slightly (it was just about covered in water) but seemed to move back to its original position.Whats the ruling on this?
Edited: 11/07/2007 at 00:33
11/07/2007 at 07:04
Definition of "moved":
"A ball is deemed to have “moved’’ if it leaves its position and comes to rest in any other place."

If the ball moves, but returns to the original position, it has not "moved", and there is no penalty in your case.

Edited: 11/07/2007 at 07:26
11/07/2007 at 10:02
Thanks RD. It was only a social round but its always good to clarify any grey areas you may have for the more important rounds and for my own peace of mind. Wouldn't want to get DQ'd now would we!!
11/07/2007 at 11:05
If you do as you are allowed to - touch the casual water in a bunker - in an important comp, here's the Decision just in case somebody says "what?!"

13-4/7 Touching Casual Water in Bunker with Club

Q. A player’s ball lies in casual water in a bunker. The player elects to play his ball as it lies and touches the casual water with his club when addressing the ball. The player’s club does not touch the sand in the bunker except in making the stroke. What is the ruling?

A. The player incurs no penalty as he did not touch the ground in the bunker with his club prior to making his stroke — see Rule 13-4b.
24/07/2007 at 15:44
Rules-Doc: I think you need to read your rules again. You get nearest point of relief in the bunker with no penatly. Anything else incurs a penalty. And this is about the only time you can drop outside a bunker. Even an unplayable would be stroke and distance.
24/07/2007 at 15:50
You are not allowed to drop outside the bunker unless you take a penalty. Rules Doc is correct
24/07/2007 at 16:17
Gordon: True. I was referring to the 2 club length comment. I read it as 2 club lengths in the bunker. Sorry.
24/07/2007 at 16:18
.........confession..............................................................................................................Playing a local club at the weekend some of the bunkers were full of water, I went in one that was about 3 ft deep and couldn't even find it.I couldn't drop in it,behind it was lying water about 2 inches deep then another bunker again full of water.My playing partner told me to take a drop to the side without penalty but it now appears I did wrong.
24/07/2007 at 16:27
We played a club match v Tilsworth on Saturday their captain told everyone to have a free drop out any bunker. But if it was a proper comp unless there was a local rule for the day you would only get a free drop if you kept it somewhere in the bunker
Your say
email image