Is is legal to putt one handed

1 to 20 of 28 messages
26/09/2005 at 09:22
Thats it really, I have a freind who prefers to putt with one hand, I think its legal but his pals keep telling him hes not allowed to do it (probably cos hes quit good at it)
So, is it legal
Thanks in advance
26/09/2005 at 09:50
Yes, so long as you make a fair stroke at it, i.e. not scrape it in, and you observe the other rules such as not standing astride the line of the putt.
26/09/2005 at 09:54
It's okay to put with one hand.

There's a Decision 17-1/5, that tells us, that putting with one hand, holding the flagstick with the other hand, is ok.
26/09/2005 at 09:58
It has to be legal. What it you only have one arm?
26/09/2005 at 12:21
I recall seeing a player on the US PGA tour putting one handed a year or two ago. Don't know if he stil does.
26/09/2005 at 15:22
Mike Hulbert.
26/09/2005 at 15:48
funnily enough, I have started putting one handed (left) when practicing...i find that it helps with getting the ball to the hole...I am making a more positive one handed stroke which means that most putts carry far beyond the hole...now its just a matter of getting more control to limit the distance.

not had the ba**s to try this in a competetive round yet but am continuing with it in practice.
27/09/2005 at 12:36
Practice putting with one hand if it is the front hand encourages you to pull rather than push the putter and this helps keep the putter on line..

easier to pull a trailer stright than push it straight..

Or have just been watching Pelz to much...
01/10/2005 at 10:08
Not for me it ain't - right hand dominant in putting, left hand along for the ride, very light. Consequently can putt quite well with just my right hand.

Depends on the individual.
01/10/2005 at 22:51
im left handed but play right handed, and so prefer to 'backhand' the ball with my left hand when putting one handed
09/12/2012 at 15:44

I just began putting right handed. I had the best putting round ever. I am right handed naturally. One-handed putting simulates tossing a ball with the right hand to a target - in this case the hole. My distance and speed control is right on. The key is to find a putter that you can control "naturally", that is to say with over-controllit.ng. The "con" is to have a putter that twists in the backswing or forward swing through impact. If you have a balanced putter, putting with one hand (the right for "righties") is a great way to go. I have found that a back & through putter that is balanced so that the face points toward the sky will work best. A blade putter (toe to ground) lends itself to and open-to-closed path leaves too much room for error in one-handed putiing. I have putted this way from all distances on the green and even from the fringe just off the putting surface. Give this method a try - don't let your buddies "bully" you into a purist method. Bet 'em - and beat 'em.

09/12/2012 at 20:06

Wow 7 years that has to be some sort of regurgitating record!!

10/12/2012 at 18:18
Hmmm
14/12/2012 at 16:13

In reply to your email, there is nothing in the Rules that requires the player to grip the club with two hands.  Therefore, a player may make a stroke with only one hand on the grip.

Thank you for your interest in the Rules of Golf, which can be found on the USGA’s web site at www.rulesofgolf.com.  Additionally, we invite you to watch the “Rules of Golf Explained” video series, which provides explanations of several of the most commonly applied Rules of Golf in easy-to-understand language, at www.usga-rules.com.  

DH
14/12/2012 at 17:09
Augie wrote (see)

we invite you to watch the “Rules of Golf Explained” 

Who are the we referred to?

But what are you doing responding to thread that was settled 7 years ago?

Did you not bother reading the thread at the top of this forum?

14/12/2012 at 18:48

The "we" is the USGA. I submitted a question to them about the rules governing one-handed putting.

What is you problem? I'm just participating in a forum on a topic that is of interest to me.

Get a life.

14/12/2012 at 20:06

Not so much a problem as just an irritation at someone resurrecting a 7 year old thread by asking the question that was answered those 7 years ago and then troubling the USGA to get the same answer.  All very pointless.  

14/12/2012 at 20:46

So is your post.

14/12/2012 at 20:51

I'll tell the USGA, the R&A, PGA & European Tours that you guys are on the job. And, they don't need to be available for questions. Apparently, this is not a website or a forum where discussion is welcome. So go to your rooms and do one-handed what you are probably best at. Leave the discussions about golf to the grown-ups.

Tsk, tsk. Would not want to bother the USGA since we have you.

14/12/2012 at 21:25
Rules Doc wrote (see)
Hmmm

code for 'my spidy sense is tingling?'  

1 to 20 of 28 messages
Golfmagic on Twitter