The Swing Glove

1 to 20 of 22 messages
13/06/2007 at 15:10
Guys,

I got very interested in a recent thread on the flat wrist at the top of the swing.

So I did a bit of routing on the internet and founs this aid.

www.swingglove.com

What I wanted to know is, is it legal for competition play.

I am no expert but I expect it contravenes rule 14/3 unusual equipment.

But I wanted one the rule experts to confirm this.

I have emailed the R&A and the manufacturers but the responces are likely to be slow.

FYI I have bought one off eBay delivered for £10 and once I have used it for a while I will review it on this site.
13/06/2007 at 15:25
No I don'y think it will be. It states that you cannot use it in tournament play in the FAQ on the web site. I presume this is American for competitions?
DH
13/06/2007 at 16:47
It is in breach of 14-3 at all times.
The USGA have this oddball idea that you can play golf and break the rules but you must still declare your score for handicap purposes. If it is in a 'tournament' (competition) you would not qualify for prizes etc.
13/06/2007 at 17:39
14.3 says a plain glove may be worn.

I wonder what they mean by "plain".
I would guess very few gloves are plain in that they have all have some design on them such as the manufacturer's logo.
13/06/2007 at 20:04
As I'm informed (from a discussion on FGI), not even a USGA-Rules player can post a card when this swingglove is used.

They can break almost every Rule in the book and be disqualified over and over and still have to post, but if a gadget specifically designed to help the stroke like this glove - no posting allowed.

AFAIK - any glove is considered "plain" as long as it's not designed to physically help the player like this glove. It may be designed with markings and pointers, and the player can mark the glove any way he likes with a pen or a sharpie.

DH
13/06/2007 at 20:52
RD

They can break almost every Rule in the book and be disqualified over and over and still have to post, but if a gadget specifically designed to help the stroke like this glove - no posting allowed

I suppose they've got to start somewhere.
13/06/2007 at 21:56
How about a 'rain' glove, specifically designed to aid the grip in wet weather ?
14/06/2007 at 00:58

Thanks guys,

I thought it would be in breach. Just thought I would check.
14/06/2007 at 01:10
Admittedly plain gloves doesn't help all types of players, but it certainly help my grip especially if its wet. Now, isn't that a swing aid ?
14/06/2007 at 07:41
Using raingloves or wintergloves made with materials giving the player a firm grip is not a breach of the Rules.

A player can wrap a towel or a handkerchief round the grip (Rule 14-3 iii) - I see this as an equivalent.

The swingglove is contrary to the Rules because of the "mecanical" designed insert.

DH
14/06/2007 at 07:48
All gloves are intended to stop your grip slipping.
The Swing Glove has a different purpose.

The Swing Glove, made of premium Cabretta leather, is a revolutionary golf glove with a hinged-plate wrist guide designed to ensure your entire swing remains perfectly balanced.

• The Swing Glove's patented Swing Gear technology is an innovative hinged-plate that keeps your wrists and hands in proper position through the entire swing.
11/05/2012 at 17:10

It is legal!

11/05/2012 at 17:22

I reckon it is a superb idea as a practice aid and can really help those who cock the wrist incorrectly.

I had to have a number of lessons to get this bit right, after years of slashing it all over the park.

I might get one for the missus who has just started playing.

It is not for playing a round of golf in however - even in a knockabout with mates. 

Din' realise this was a bumped 2007 thread

DH
11/05/2012 at 18:32
Lee Trevino wrote (see)

It is legal!

Gloves may be worn to assist the player in gripping the club, provided they are plain.

A “plain” glove must:

• consist of a fitted covering of the hand with a separate sheath or opening for each digit (fingers and thumb); and

• be made of smooth materials on the full palm and gripping surface of the digits.

A “plain” glove must not incorporate:

• material on the gripping surface or inside of the glove, the primary purpose of which is to provide padding or which has the effect of providing padding. Padding is defined as an area of glove material which is more than 0.025 inches (0.635 mm) thicker than the adjacent areas of the glove without the added material;

Note: Material may be added for wear resistance, moisture absorption or other functional purposes, provided it does not exceed the definition of padding (see above).

• straps to assist in preventing the club from slipping or to attach the hand to the club;

• any means of binding digits together;

• material on the glove that adheres to material on the grip;

features, other than visual aids, designed to assist the player in placing his hands in a consistent and/or specific position on the grip;

• weight to assist the player in making a stroke;

• any feature that might restrict the movement of a joint; or

any other feature that might assist the player in making a stroke or in his play.

14/05/2012 at 12:55

Don't wish to hijack a thread, but (im going to for just a second) if anyone knows where you can get one of these would you please pm me the details - many thanks....and I am off again

Sorry

DH
14/05/2012 at 17:52

google or amazon

14/05/2012 at 18:45

On a slight aside, the Bionic glove is also illegal unless accompanied by a doctors note showing you need to use it to play golf.

R&A Ruling

14/05/2012 at 21:14

Did Pengwyn ever review this?

14/05/2012 at 21:21
DH wrote (see)

google or amazon

Tried all the ususal channels and it appears to be only available in the USA......can't find one place in the UK selling it.....but cheers anyhow

14/05/2012 at 21:25

James, they're on Ebay - supplied from the US but cheap enough to avoid any import tax.

1 to 20 of 22 messages
Golfmagic on Twitter