Golf Holiday Aboard

1 to 20 of 22 messages
21/02/2010 at 18:59

anyone recommend any golfing holidays worth going on in portugal spaiin area

places to play?

places to stay?

or is it best getting a golf package all in one thing?

21/02/2010 at 19:26

Who are you going with and what are the handicaps?

21/02/2010 at 19:36
lad called matty wake off here and 8 and 12
21/02/2010 at 20:00

I now book villas flights golf etc myself but the first holiday I organised I used These people

They have a country club called Alto in  Alvor on the Algarve which has villas apartments etc and is walking distance from bars & restaurants and beach  it is very secure and well looked after. Alto golf course is just up the road and is a good challange but it has recently been taken over by Pestanta which has Pinta, Slives and Gramacho golf courses under their wing so you can get good rates..  If you want any more info message me!!

21/02/2010 at 21:26
I went last year with a group who have been doing this for years - last year was the Cost Brava, the unanimous view of the "veterans" was that Vilamoura takes some beating. Plenty of courses within spitting distance, and good night life / places to eat.
21/02/2010 at 21:36
IMO as a far travelled European tripper our Fav is still Girona,great nightlife (Spanish and no pie and mash and Boddingtons),lovely city and superb valued golf....that said it is the Algarve again this year but would like to return to Girona or Prague next year.
22/02/2010 at 07:55

Vilamoura is getting increasingly expensive. Victoria and Vilamoura Old are now both well in excess of 100 Euros to play, and the others are catching up fast.

That said, you can't beat the convenience of the resort and the courses, especially the fact that shuttle buses are included, and I echo the fact that there is plenty of nightlife.

I would also say it is cheaper to book the courses through an operator as you can get some hefty discounts. Whilst not stopping at Vilamoura next year we are looking at booking a three day ticket so we can return to the two courses I mentioned, That ticket only costs in the region of 200 Euros so we effectively play a third course for nothing, compared to booking them ourselves.

22/02/2010 at 09:35

Have been to Costa de la Luz - many times

Last autumn stayed in islantilla Golf resort - all golf included - book via www.golfdelaluz.com  atrranged own flights with Thomson to Faro and got free golf club carriage -- you can in May this year- and hired a car on airmiles

Course has 3 loops of 9 - two loops quite tight and difficult third loop easier

We had a very enjoyable time - good food in hotel and free drinks two nights

Lots of other enjoyable courses in the area - El Rompido, Castro Marim and the two Quinta's

23/02/2010 at 12:14
If you fancy playing at San Lorenzo on the Algarve there are some excellent deals at the Dona Filipa and Formosa Park Hotels. I got a package to include the hotel, golf and transfers and it also included Pinheiros Altos G.C. with www.leisurelinkgolf.com

You have to book your own flights but they will tell you they best flights and gave some tips to minimise all of the extra charges you usually get stung for.

I almost booked at Valle del Este in Almeria as it was really good value but the golf isn't quite as stong at San Lorenzo - mind you what is!

23/02/2010 at 12:40
Ireland is worth a trip too.  Not at all on the beaten track, except you see more Americans than Brits, and some real gems to play for a sensible price.  Some great courses here in Japan too, but it's probably a bit far and expensive to be worthwhile .
26/02/2010 at 08:14
As you know we are backwards and forwards to Spain, Costa del sol all the time, we usually book everything direct from the internet. You really can't beat the choice, you can pick up some really good hotel/transfer deals. For golf I buy a Two for One golf card that they now offer in Spain, saves you a mint.
Good luck
Edited: 26/02/2010 at 08:14
27/02/2010 at 12:39

depents what most imnportant to your trip ...  golf, nightlife, weather, food, expense, transfer time from airport etc...

from my perspective  of places been to

marks out of 5  

Cascais  - courses 4, proximity 4, nightlife 2 weather 4, restaurants 3

Vilamoura - courses 4, proximity 4  nightlife 2.5, weather 4, restaurants 4

Puerto Banus -  Courses 3, proximity 3, Nightlife 4.5, weather 5, restaurants 4

Barcelona - courses 4, proximity 1, nightlife 5 weather 4 restaurants 5    

San Lorenzo - courses 4, priximity 5, nightlife 1, weather 4, restaurants 3

stayed and played at Arcos Gradens south of Seville, - A quality "hidden gem"   with hardly anyone on the course....

27/02/2010 at 19:32

been to the algarve the last couple of years but we've went the beginning of march so it's been out of season for nightlife. Must be honest, haven't been bowled over with the golf courses though Penina was magnificent. Vilamoura old was very disappointing, very nice but nowhere near as good as it's billing and not worth anywhere near it's greenfee. That said, just along the road is Quinta da cima golf resort and the two courses there are excellent and good value in comparrison.

In my opinion, Spain has more variety and better standard of golf courses.

France has fantastic golf courses, comparitively cheap green fees but unless you go to the South, the weather is unpredictable.

Austria is the best place i've been for golf, courses are simply stunning...as are the lasses.

27/02/2010 at 23:23

I thought the old course and vila sol more than prettty decent tracks during June

As for nightlife one half decent bar and a so called irish bar with a crap elvis impersonator. ,maybe we misesd the better places to go

06/03/2010 at 14:56

Penina is too "English" for my liking, Penfold. I enjoy Vilamoura Old but agree it does not justify the price tag. Victoria is a quality course, and for that I'm afraid you have to pay good money. But as resort courses they get busy, especially the Old, which the world and his wife seem to want to play - tortuously slow in high season.

We played Ria and Cima this February and whilst Ria was in great condition, Cima was average at best - odd, given they are built on the same bit of land. I agree the prices are pretty good, but they are getting more expensive year on year.

We are very lucky in that we do not pay for accommodation, so we can afford to pay that bit more for the courses, which is the only way I could justify two rounds at Monte Rei this time round.

07/03/2010 at 10:14

Bronty, i'd agree with that and know what you mean about Penina. It is very English, very similar to Fulford and seems out of place on the Algarve. But a great course is a great course, Sawgrass would still be great even if it was in the home counties !

When we've played at quinta da cima/ria, the greens have always been bone hard and just been treat with feed so it's been a little unfair to judge. I think cima is the better of the two and it's easy to see it's been designed by cabell robinson as it's quite similar to the la cala courses.

Have you played monte rei yet ? My brother in law's brother in law (if you follow) is an exceptionally good club pro who wasn't quite good enough to make it on tour and he's played valderama loads of times but says monte rei is easily the best course he's played.

29/11/2011 at 10:15

Bom dia!

In lieu of advertising fees, I hope you do 15% discount for Golf Magic Members....

Obrigado!

29/11/2011 at 10:22

Wayman, Look at La Manga, It alone has 3 courses and is less than a 3hr flight from Newcastle.

There are loads of other courses in the area around La Manga/San Javier too Hacienda del Alamo, Roda, Alamha de Murcia, Corvera, Camposol and a little further afield (40kms) is Desert Springs.

I've played all these course and thay are without exception quality courses at reasonable prices.

There is also a pretty decent nightlife in and around La Manga too!

29/11/2011 at 10:46
Christ I put this up over 18months ago. People just bumping it to advertise there own business
22/01/2013 at 23:13

Hi Golfers! I am trying to generate interest in my parents apartment on a golf resort near Murcia (nearest aiport is san javier) It is not currently 'fully opperational' but with some booking/general interest the process could be sped up! It's a really nice newly furnished place on a polaris course (Las Terrazas de la Torre). It will take 4/6 people. The course run bus trips to near by courses too. Please check out the page http://www.facebook.com/GolfHolidayMurciaSpain I would really appriciate it. Cheers!

1 to 20 of 22 messages
Golfmagic on Twitter