My 8 Iron

29/03/2010 at 18:54
I need a kick up the arse, so dont be affraid to be harsh.  Hit my 8 iron 150 yards, my bad shot is a push out right.

29/03/2010 at 19:18

whats your handicap sam if you dont mind me asking

29/03/2010 at 19:27
16.  came down from 21 last year.  Looking to get to 12/13 this year.
29/03/2010 at 19:50

first of all sam a tip is to watch your head height in first video it dips if you know what i mean so do your often fat the ball???

if you do that maybe your problem try keep your height

keep me informed

29/03/2010 at 19:54

yes mate, my left side does tend to drop, it use to be a lot worse. 

i need to work on my weight transfer a bit better without swaying, in order to stop the dip.  And yes i do tend to hit a fat shot more than a thin.

Edited: 29/03/2010 at 19:57
30/03/2010 at 10:09
You've got very little lag and poor extension through impact. Both these things rob your swing of power, I'm surprised you hit it as far as you say with that swing. Get some lag and keep your left arm straight and you'll hit it miles.
30/03/2010 at 13:53
I push shots out as well, it is my fault of the moment. I do it for a number of reasons - firstly I swing too fast and my body gets ahead, my hands are behind, causing them to be open at impact - so I ease down (you look quite contained - not over swinging), and secondly my grip is too firm not allowing the club to release - it's hard to describe but you should feel energy at impact and a snap sensation, the ball then either draws or just goes down the line - yardage increase is pretty big! (my 5 iron travels an extra 15-20yds if I get this right) 
30/03/2010 at 22:00
Harry Putter wrote (see)
You've got very little lag and poor extension through impact. Both these things rob your swing of power, I'm surprised you hit it as far as you say with that swing. Get some lag and keep your left arm straight and you'll hit it miles.

Yes HP, you're right about the lack of lag, its just one of those things that i've lost due to concentrating on other aspect recently.  Thanks for the reminder.
30/03/2010 at 22:04
Chris Tandy wrote (see)
I push shots out as well, it is my fault of the moment. I do it for a number of reasons - firstly I swing too fast and my body gets ahead, my hands are behind, causing them to be open at impact - so I ease down (you look quite contained - not over swinging), and secondly my grip is too firm not allowing the club to release - it's hard to describe but you should feel energy at impact and a snap sensation, the ball then either draws or just goes down the line - yardage increase is pretty big! (my 5 iron travels an extra 15-20yds if I get this right) 

i wouldnt say my grip is tight, however it could maybe be loosened a little.  i'll give it ago.

Taking on board all this sound advice, i'll hit the practise area as soon as it dries out, and maybe post some new videos.  Thanks guys

30/03/2010 at 22:09
Just observations really...

You seem to set up with a different ball position each time, although tending towards your back foot (especially the second shot).

At the top of your swing, the shaft is pointing way right which, coupled with quite flat swing plane, means that you attack the ball very much from the inside.

Harry is spot on about the lag - you appear to be helping the ball in to the air.

30/03/2010 at 22:20
Samiguel wrote (see)
Just observations really... You seem to set up with a different ball position each time, although tending towards your back foot (especially the second shot). At the top of your swing, the shaft is pointing way right which, coupled with quite flat swing plane, means that you attack the ball very much from the inside. Harry is spot on about the lag - you appear to be helping the ball in to the air.

Good spot, dont know why the ball position are different, i always placed it centre for my 8 iron.

I think the swing is flat is because all i've worked on over winter is curing my slice with my driver.  So low take away etc and that groove from hitting so many balls with my driver over winter has crept into my iron play.

Shaft points right - is this one of the reasons i push ball right of target? (coupled with other aspects you mentioned)  Do i need to open my right palm out a bit to correct this?

thanks for the comments mate.

Edited: 30/03/2010 at 22:22
30/03/2010 at 22:30
it's my understanding that a common cause of a push is standing too close to the ball at address. The first two DTL shots on you film seem to back that up although the third looked better. I'd try moving a couple of inches further away and try to lift your chin off your chest a bit more. Will allow you to swing up and down the correct plane much easier.

Might be worth a try. Good luck.
30/03/2010 at 22:39
yeah, i have been told i stand too upright, and should maybe lean over a bit more.  Could this also help with my left side/head dropping on my backswing?  Cheers
31/03/2010 at 20:21

Hi Sam

Well to begin with you should be congratulated on practising with alignment aids on the ground. A basic for all practise. Initial reaction is that the clubface alignment looks to be a few degrees closed. Not easy to see on the size of screen and the the quality of video that You Tube makes from your footage.

I suggest make absolutely certain the clubface is aligned properly. Purists suggest this is actually 1 degree open to allow for ball compression at impact etc.....

I also advise that the camera be placed midway between your foot line and club head position when looking down the target line. The position you have distorts your alignment and clubhead path and swing plane which explains many of the previous suggestions.

From the side view if the camera is central to your ball position I would suggest that improvements are made by better ball position about half a balls width towards the target. This allows the clubface time to square up to the ball and negates the push. Becasue you have good eye hand co-ordination you are able to compensate with the in to out swing path and closed clubface for the majority of time until timing or a pressure situation catches things out? Let us know which of the suggestions above you feel most comfortable with and can actually achieve quickly?

23/04/2010 at 10:58

Only a couple of pointers but I dont think anyone spotted them to date....

Your left hand is very strong, you need to not have it so cocked at set up.  Simple way of preventing this in practice is to put a lolly pop stick bheind your watch (if you wear one) or put an elastic band there to hold it in place.

Also and most importantly your shoulders are not level.  Your left shoulder is higher at set up than your right shoulder.   This means that your are always chasing the club with your hands and thiis is what is casuing your "fats".  Lower your left shoulder slightly and if you can raise your right one, this will give you a more consistent ball strike and will make you hit ball first giving you a really crisp contact.

I like the rest of your swing and by sorting out these two minor issues your ball striking will improve massively.  You may find it wont go where you want at first but once you sort out your alignment (where you are aiming) you will soon be on the telly!!!

Good Luck

Mitch

23/04/2010 at 12:13

Sam, It looks to me like your weight is on your heels. As has been said before, if you stand taller, this will probably fix this. Also, lift your chin up.

Also mentioned before, is that your ball position is different every time.

What hasn't been mentioned before, is, it looks to me (not that I know what I am talking about) is your hands are a fraction too close to your body at address. Having them this close is very difficult to get your hands back in this position at impact.

28/04/2010 at 09:07

Hi

Apart from those points above reguarding address position, i would like to point out your follow through.

I think you need to release your body, rotating fully on to your left side.

You dont release your body, which then leads to your left arm collasping, then not releasing the club head. The body stops, so the hands/arms just wrap around it.

I think you get a push because you leave the face open ( not releasing), the ball starts where the club face is pointing.

Good luck, and all just my thoughts.

27/08/2010 at 22:57

I'm in no way qualified to give advise on your swing as I've only be playing 5 months but as an observation you look to cock your wrists ever so slightly as you take away to begin your back swing. The club head starts to move before you body dose.

No as a question would this not cause something that is not replicated as the club head returns to the ball there for meaning your club head goes off perfect plain from the very start of you back swing?

31/08/2010 at 11:29
I think in the video you're reverse pivoting.A good drill to get out of this,practice lifting your right leg at impact,and finishing with all your weight on your left leg.
Your say
email image