darren clarke

1 to 20 of 38 messages
22/05/2006 at 22:45
a class act in every way.Wish he'd won and now, more than ever, hope he wins a major.
22/05/2006 at 22:55
he has been doing well recently and i wish we could see more of this. very gentlemanly today chipping out from the rough. if it was woods(if you remember the incident with the mud on the ball when the klaxon sounded) and co they would have gone for the green.
Edited: 22/05/2006 at 22:56
22/05/2006 at 22:58
I didnt see it but heard about it.
Quality, a rarity - a gentleman PGA tour pro.
22/05/2006 at 23:09
Here is a quote from Darren's website from today.

Bitten By A Pair Of Bogeys - 22.05.06

I'm obviously very disappointed not to have won the Irish 0pen because I really wanted it, but a bogey, par, bogey finish determined that it was not to be. I was told after my round that I had acted with incredible integrity when I returned to where my ball was on the 9th after play was abandoned on Sunday.

But honesty is part and parcel of the game and I could not have acted any other way. When I went back out this morning a lot of people had been looking for the ball and the area around it had been flattened. It was a much better lie than what I left it on Sunday. I could have put it on to the front of the green from where it was, but my conscience would not allow me to do it so I
just decided the best thing to do was chip it out sideways like I would have done the previous night.

I kept giving myself chances and didn't make any putts so the mistakes I made on 16 and 18 cost me very dearly indeed. 0n the 18th, I just moved out of my second shot and tried to play a little pitch and run on my third and chunked it, leaving a very tough putt.

To say I'm disappointed is to say the least, but one day I'm determined to win the Irish 0pen. Congratulations to my good friend Thomas Bjorn on his success and I would like to thank him for his very kind words at the presentation ceremony directed towards Heather and myself.

23/05/2006 at 08:19
Hats off to a Class Act.
23/05/2006 at 08:42
I cant help feeling that there are a number of top class pro's in europe and in the us who could learn a lot from darren clarke
23/05/2006 at 11:11
i actually watched it

the referee was happy for him to play it. the head ref was too. They were calling it 'rub of the green'

i think his caddy even wanted him to play it - you could see him jokingly push him away from the referee.

Just before he took his wedge you could clearly here DC say say that his 'conscience would be clear' if he just hit it out.

the other two in his group weren't close by when he hit his second so he explained it to them at the green and again you could hear that he thought it just wouldn't be right.

And he made par too - which proves there are golfing gods :)

I think Ross Fisher will have learned a great lesson there.

DC - earned himself a new fan in me too.

Makes me think back to Monty incident which was before i watched golf, but i heard about...when you know it ain't right....do the D(e)C(ent) thing.
Edited: 23/05/2006 at 11:11
23/05/2006 at 11:26
MisterS3 - i think he actually made bogey.

I did feel for him as he walked off the 18th - he looked gutted.
23/05/2006 at 11:43

There were times going back a few years ago when DC was not my favorite golfer. He has tons of talant but going back then he often exploded in a fit of temper and thus lost any chances on those occasions of winning.

He has got to grips with that now, and in my opinion will win a major, when he's hot he can beat anyone as we have seen in the World Championship.

What he did in the Irish Open, was a great show of honesty and sportsmanship, above and beyond what was required. It was even more amazing that in retrospect it possibly stopped him from winning a home event he so dearly wants to win. R E S P E C T.
23/05/2006 at 12:28
Another new DC fan here. Better to lose honorably than win without a clear conscience.
23/05/2006 at 16:38
It's a remarkable show of sportsmanship. i'd love to think i'd have been able to do the same thing.
23/05/2006 at 21:44
worm i heard he was chucking clubs a few weeks ago.

a DC fan here aswell, lets hope this form shows in the majors this year
23/05/2006 at 23:12
Sorry, but I am in a minority of one here but i think it was stupid. There was nothing to affect his conscience as he hadn't trampled the ground himself. He disadvantaged himself by doing it as I doubt many others would have done it and I don't see why they should. If the scenario was slightly different and a few people were looking for the ball and the ground was trampled at the time he would not have had any qualms about hitting to the green.

The rules of golf would not have been broken, nor, in my opinion, any rules of etiquette.

I would love to have seen this scenario happen in the last few holes of a major and see him throw it away because of his conscience.
23/05/2006 at 23:23
I wish I was as stupid and as successful and naturally talented. Ho hum.

23/05/2006 at 23:58
He is naturally talented, and obviously he has more important things to think about just now, but does anyone actually think he will win a major. I like Darren & I like Colin Montgomery although they are two different personalities, but I can't see either of them winning a big one. I don't think Darren is ruthless enough, as witnessed by events yesterday. It makes him a good man but for someone with his ability he should have won a lot more
24/05/2006 at 00:06
"for someone with his ability he should have won a lot more"

OK, so he hasn't won a major - yet. But what do you mean when you say "a lot more"?

Here are a few of his career highlights. (Not all of them either).

Although much of 2005 was spent away from the course, the Ulsterman nevertheless managed to notch six top ten finishes in 14 European Tour outings on his way to 20th on the Order of Merit. Also successfully defended his Mitsui Sumitomo VISA Taiheiyo Masters crown in Japan at the end of the season to maintain his record of having won somewhere around the world every year since 1998. In February 2000, he became the first European golfer to win a World Golf Championships event, capturing the Accenture Match Play, beating David Duval in the semi-final and Tiger Woods in the 36 hole final at La Costa Resort and Spa, before becoming the only player, apart from Woods, to have more than one WGC success to his name when he won the 2003 NEC Invitational at Firestone Country Club. Not a stranger to ‘firsts’ however. In the 1999 Smurfit European Open he became the first player on The European Tour to shoot 60 for a second time, having achieved it first in the 1992 European Monte Carlo Open – and owns a car registration DC 60 in reference to those rounds. In 2001 he became the first Irishman to win on home soil since John O’Leary in 1982, when he captured the Smurfit European Open, and in 2002, became the first player to win the English Open three times. Has also been part of a winning European Ryder Cup Team on three occasions, the most recent at Oakland Hills when he claimed three and a half points out of five. Helped organise a special Pro-Am at Portmarnock in September 1998 in aid of the victims of the Omagh bombing tragedy. Played in, and won the inaugural Benmore Developments Northern Ireland Masters on the 2003 Challenge Tour and donated his €35,877 cheque to his own Darren Clarke Foundation, to help further the development of junior golf in Ireland.

Sorry - but again, I disagree with you. I think he's a very successful man.
24/05/2006 at 08:52

Cs - I think the odd indiscretion, considering his circumstances, is allowed, don't you?

Forbesie - Other golfers I have since spoken with have said the same as you, but it does not take away the fact that what he did was exceptionally honourable and decent. I'd take his way any day. And yes, I believe he would do it in a major. In fact he wanted to win this event very much indeed and to him it is probably as important as a major!
24/05/2006 at 13:38
Each year I write to Darren's Management Co to ask for a shirt donation. (Some of you will remember that I am always trying to raise money for my local hospice rebuild). I mentioned in my email to them about all your kind and suportive comments and gave the GM web address. I received a reply this morning saying that they had passed on my email to Darren. So with a bit of luck he may look in and see our opinions.

24/05/2006 at 13:47
Bloody hell, I hope he doesn't look back through a few of my old posts!
24/05/2006 at 13:49
I've already sent him your address Simon!
1 to 20 of 38 messages
Golfmagic on Twitter