AMP Driver

Andy Roberts's picture
Andy Roberts
Wed, 4 Jan 2012
AMP Driver

Need To Know

E9 Face Technology with dual roll; AMP Speed Tuning; Adjustable Flight Technology; Aldila RIP speed tuned shaft
Our score:
PRICE: £259.00 YEAR: from 2012

Cobra has made one of its boldest statements yet with its spanking new AMP driver. And it hasn’t been tangoed by accident.

The company has broadened its appeal, so for someone like me - and I love a splash of colour - this orange-tastic AMP driver with its flashy colour-co-ordinated grip, was very appealing.

Contrastingly, the clubface is a soft grey, so I didn't need to shade my eyes at address, though I'm told by my Dad it's reminiscent of those rust-coloured, steel-headed TaylorMade drivers with the bulbous shaft of the early 90s!

My initial confidence quickly translated into my driving performance as I mashed one up the middle from the first tee. In fact, I missed only two of 14 fairways en route to a round of 76.

I’ve always been a good driver of the ball, but I rarely accumulate stats like that. Let's assess why?

Cobra’s E9 face technology utilises an elliptical face for greater forgiveness high on the toe or low in the heel, where many of my mis-hits occur. And the club’s new dual roll design ensures higher ball speeds, regardless of whether the ball is struck above or below the centre line.

This driver also features some cracking game-enhancing technology in the form of adjustable face technology (AFT) hosel. Using the wrench provided I can adjust the face fractionally opened or closed by 2-degrees from neutral. Saying that, I kept mine at neutral.

I used a neutrally adjusted 9.5-degree loft model with a regular flex powered by an Aldila RIP Speed Tuned shaft with a D4 swing weight.

VERDICT

I'm devoted to my new orange-tinted best friend... and can't imagine preferring anything else off the tee right now!

Click here for more information on the Cobra AMP driver or visit www.cobragolf.com