Any suggestions

11 posts / 0 new
Any suggestions

I have a Taylor made R7 425 with UST V2 R flex 6066 shaft which I was fitted with by Taylor Made in the USA a few years ago. Weights are 2 x 12 rear and 2x 2 front.

Today I went to see the pro because I have moved to the stack and tilt swing which suits my age somehow (I'm 70) and was hitting the club a little lower.  I went on the launch angle gizmo and was told that my launch angle was only very slightly low, my shaft was too heavy (I needed a 55-60g R shaft) and I needed a lower spin club head.

After he concocted a few clubs I got my Swing Speed up to 90 MPH and I gained back about 20 yards. It was 95 3 years ago - damn age!  Anyway, he became a bit vague when I asked his suggestions for an off the shelf solution and said he'd put one together for me to try. 

Reason I'm posting is to see if you have any suggestions for an 'off the shelf'. I looked at a shaft change for the R7 but it takes a .350 and the UST 5050 is .325 which could be overcome but I'd possibly need a little more weight in the rear of the head to reduce spin  and, with a different shaft, I could end up in a mess.

Thanks David

PS 3rd try at trying to produce this message in paragraphs!  Failed

*** alow me  - moderator *** 

You can fit a 0.335 shaft into a 0.350 head you just need a shim or an adaptor. As for putting more weight on the back of the club that would raise the spin not lower it.Seems like your pro is trying to do two conflicting things here.Go with a shaft change as it influences the flight much more than the head.adaptor link

Why the reluctance to try what the pro has recommended? and the apparent desire to stick to an "off the shelf" solution?after all he's the one who has seen your swing and has tried to give you some advice based on first hand evidence.  If he's offered to make you up a club to try, why not give it a go, what is there to lose?  if it doesn't work out then you haven't wasted your money on an off the shelf product that may not work for you.

David, we have much the same swingspeed and I have gained distance by using a larger headed driver and a more lively lightweight shaft. Is it worth checking out the 'off the shelf' drivers that are around at the moment? Without doubt the most popular driver amongst our Seniors is Cobra, as most of them have gained yards from the current technology and ultra lightweight shafts that Cobra provide and match to swingspeed.

Thanks for your suggestions.  The pro who did the testing was strangely reticent to suggest anything and only came up with his offer to make one up when pressed!Meanwhile, I thought I might be able to lighten the shaft on my driver and fiddle with the weighting on my clubhead because I like the thing and it fires straight though not very far. I never got a manual with the club.  Seems I would have to reduce the rear weighting anyway to maintain the swing weight. It does seem a rather heavy head. The adaptor Dandy Don pointed me to looks very short. What happens to the rest of the shaft end?  Do you fill it with epoxy? I shall probably fiddle with mine and get a new one as well.Was chatting today with the pro who's going to knock up a D3 with his nearest thing to a 57g V2 shaft.  I'll check out the Cobra, Taz.PS How the heck do I get paragraphs?????  It goes into block whenever I post. The board doesn't seem to recognise carriage returns.

Are you cutting and pasting David?If so, recreate the paragraphs in the text box after pasting. It doesn't seem to accept word processor based formatting. Back to the topic. I use a Cobra L4V part composite, non-adjustable driver, 10.5 degree with a Diamana Redboard regular stock shaft. This replaced a Ping Si3 380 with a regular Grafalloy Blue shaft, which I had used for about 3 years and worked really well.Not as well as the Cobra though, haven't found a better driver yet.

Taz wrote (see)

David, we have much the same swingspeed and I have gained distance by using a larger headed driver and a more lively lightweight shaft. Is it worth checking out the 'off the shelf' drivers that are around at the moment? Without doubt the most popular driver amongst our Seniors is Cobra, as most of them have gained yards from the current technology and ultra lightweight shafts that Cobra provide and match to swingspeed.

Just checked out the cobra S3 and it seems that the 9.5 degree is not available with the Fujikura oo5 shaft. DavidPS no I don't paste and can see all my paragraphs in this editor. They simply vanish when i post.PPS changed to firefox and it works

The Firey Fox strikes again

Try and get hold of a Cobra ZL, in your spec. Haven't heard a bad report and it is a 'must try' for me also. 

I will throw the Callaway RAZR Hawk into the mix. It has a 60g shaft which I found to give me a much higher launch than current. But the main reason I put it in is the distance it gives. I gained 30 yards extra carry compared to my current driver, something I was shocked by. I think what swung it for me was the Alvaro Quiros endorsement!

Went down to the shop again today and tried :-1. Cobra ZL 9.5 Reg with 60G shaft2. Titleist D3  9.5 reg with Mitz Diamana Ilima 61 shaft 57G Torque 5.13. Taylor Made R11 Reg with standard light 57g shaft Torque 3.5Results :-I soon rejected the Cobra. It was shorter than 2 and 3 and most inaccurate for me.The D3 fired a little high for me though it felt good and so was distance. I would like to try it with the Fujikura Motore F1 55 shaft and I suspect I'd love it but they didn't have that shaft.The R11 was a little less forgiving but when struck well it outhit 1 and 2 by 6-7 yards with super ball flight and run. Unfortunately, I needed a higher tee because all my strikes with this club were slightly below center but I was stuck with one of those plastic mushrooms on the range. The D3 hit them right out the middle as did the Cobra which was odd. (I was using stick ons) However, the R11 was a very accurate club. Both these drivers gave me 10-15 yards more than my R7.  Before deciding between them I am going to have to try the D3 with the Fuji. PS Tried the f1 55 shaft today. Perfect. Bought it.