Hi All - This is my first post so go easy!
I took up the game around 2 years ago and bought myself a set of Hippo Clubs from ebay to set me on my way. I'venaged to get my handicap down to 19 and then reached a plateau, so have now had some lessons in order to improve. Due to those lessons I now have a new swing, which I hope to make more consistent! I also think I've reached a stage where I need better clubs, so decided that custom fitting was the way forward.
On the basis that Direct Golf currently have 20% off, I booked an appointment to get fitted at the weekend. I was really looking forward to getting some clubs that were perfect for me. Anyway, without boring you with the details, the experience was a disaster and I left without spending a penny.
Some of the "lowlights" included -
1. Immediately being pushed into John Letters and Adams clubs.
2. Being given 5 taped up clubs to hit on the range without any supervision or guide as to which club suited.
3. Returning inside and simply being asked what club I liked the best.
4. Being told that I couldn't have hybrids/woods or Wilson Di11's fitted because they couldn't "bend them properly."
Trust me I could go on and on.
Is it just me or is there more to Custom Fitting than this?? The service at direct golf seems to equate to - hit a few clubs on the range, then we'll "bend" your favourites to suit.
The whole experience has put me off the idea of custom fitting. If anyone can assist with the following I'd be very grateful-
- Is Custom Fitting worth it?
- Is the process more complex than the above (I do hope so!)?
- Where would you recommend?
For reference I am from the Midlands, so I was considering the Belfry?? Does anyone have experience of Custom Fitting there?
Any help would be much appreciated.