Driver Fitting

5 posts / 0 new
Driver Fitting
Hello all, I have a driver fitting booked for the Belfry this weekend. Usually when I hit the driver it is more of a smash than a swing. I get some great shots but the occasional big shot right occurs. I do have regular lessons and have worked a lot on my driver. Always great in a lesson but sometimes on the course my upper and lower body just don't move together on the downswing. I played two weeks ago when it was really windy and came 2nd in a comp by following general tips for driving in the wind. Ball towards centre of stance and concentrate on swinging low through the ball without hitting it too hard. Hit the green on a par 4 for the first time ever - wind was left to right on this hole. I played yesterday and tried big drives for the front 9 (lost 2 balls from drives, hit 1 FW) and controlled drives for the back 9 (broke 40 for the first time ever, hit 4/7 FWs). I am now going to this custom fitting session with confusion about which swing should I use for it! Do you think I could do a comparison at the session using my own driver first to see what the spin rate/direction is for both swings? There really is no difference in total distance as the controlled swing creates a lower flight and more roll. Cheers

You want your 'fitted' driver to be at its most forgiving on your bad swing and not just reward your good swing.

you can always change your swing to suit your new fitting

BT@Home (8.0) wrote (see)

you can always change your swing to suit your new fitting

Ha Ha! There's always that option as well.

So, went to the fitting.Basically, my launch angle was apparently really high (about 19 degrees) caused by me adding loft to the driver by hitting on the upswing?We worked on getting the launch angle down to 15 degrees or just below.The final choice was the Titleist 910 D2 8.5 degrees in the A2 setting with a stiff Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana Kai'li 65 shaft. I think playing in the recent windy conditions showed what good results I could get if I had a lower launch angle.Cheers.