Standard golf club lengths

15 posts / 0 new
Standard golf club lengths
STANDARD GOLF CLUB LENGTH SPECIFICATIONS

Keep in mind the official "Men's Modern Standard" is for steel and these standards were established when steel shafts, persimmon woods, and forged irons dominated the golf equipment market. Though technology has significantly changed golf equipment. For example, most golfers use graphite shafts in their woods these days; titanium or other alloys are common in metal "woods"; and most irons today are investment cast, rather than forged. While there is no "official" length designation that has changed with these changes in technology and equipment, many PCS Certified Class A Professional Clubmakers & Golfsmith Accredited Clubmakers are more likely to recognize an unofficial "Today's Men's Standard" length.

Woods
Modern Men’s Standard (STEEL)
Modern Women’s Standard (STEEL)Today's Men’s Standard (GRAPHITE)143"42"44-45"+242.5"41.5342"41"43"+441.5"40.5"541"40"42"+640.5"39.5"740"39"41"+

Men's Traditional length irons are the irons primarily sold in the 1970's and earlier. In the years after that, Men's Modern Standard Length was established. Once again, it was developed in a equipment market dominated by forged blades and steel shafts. While steel still dominates the iron market today, technology has changed shaft design, shaft weights, grip weights and head weights. While Men's Modern Standard length is still used, many PCS Certified Class A Professional Clubmakers & Golfsmith Accredited Clubmakers are very likely to recognize what we call, the unofficial "Today's Men's Standard" length. Graphite shafted irons may be the same length, or 1/2" to 1" longer, depending on the head or shaft characteristics you use. If you look at the Original Equipment Manufacturer's (Callaway, PING, Taylor Made, Titliest) standard lengths, you will see that they often vary from what is considered standard, and they also vary from one another. While today's standard is "that there is no standard", the lengths here are a good rule of thumb. To determine what is best for you, you will want to visit your local Certified Clubmaker.

IronsMen's Traditional (STEEL)Men's Modern Standard (STEEL)Women's Modern Standard (STEEL)Today's Men’s Standard (STEEL)Golfsmith's Men’s Standard (STEEL)139"39.5"38.5"40"40"238.5"39"38"39.5"39.5"338"38.5"37.5"39"39"437.5"38"37"38.5"38.5"537"37.5"36.5"38"38"636.5"37"36"37.5"37.5"736"36.5"35.5"37"37"835.5"36"35"36.5"36.5"935"35.5"34.5"36"36"PW35"35.5"34.5"35.5"36"SW35"35.5"34.5"35.5"36"

Again, keep in mind this is for steel shafted irons. So, unless you have "low balance point (tip heavy) graphite shafts, or graphite weighted heads, you will most likely have a longer club.

• OEM and Component Clubs may vary.
  • Low balance point graphites should achieve normal swingweights at standard lengths.
  • Lightweight graphite - add 1/2" to 1" to achieve normal swingweights

That's very useful and thought provoking, thank you. mainly the thought it provoked was "what the f***..???" but thought provoking none the less...

Paul I posted these to help people who were not sure if their clubs are to long or short for them I was actually looking for my son as I didn’t want to buy a good second set and that they would be either to long or to short, I hope that answer’s “What the F***k” GOLF CLUB LENGTH FOR JUNIORSThese are good club lengths for kids. Check to make sure your junior clubs are safe and the proper fit with your local Clubmaker. HeightWood5-Iron9-Iron - PW3' 0"26.5"- 27.5"22" - 23"21" - 22"3' 2"27.5"- 28.5"23"- 24"22" - 23"3' 4"28.5" - 29.5"24" - 25"23" - 24"3' 6"29.5"- 30.5"25" - 26"24" - 25"3' 8"30.5" - 31.5"26"- 27"24.5" - 25.5"3' 10"31"- 32"26.5" - 27.5"25" - 26"4' 0"32" - 33"27.5"- 28.5"26" - 27"4' 2"33" - 34"28.5"- 29.5"27" - 28"4' 4"34" - 35"29.5"- 30.5"27.5" - 28.5"4' 6"35" - 36"30.5" - 31.5"28.5" - 29.5"4' 8"36"- 37"31.5"- 32.5"29.5" - 30.5"4' 10"37" - 38"32.5"- 33.5"30.5"- 31.5"5' 0"38" - 39"33.5" - 34.5"31.5" - 32.5"

The above if you are seeing what I'm seeing is not supposed to be laid out this way?

Wingnut wrote (see)

The above if you are seeing what I'm seeing is not supposed to be laid out this way?

Which I believe is why Paul said "wtf?"  All those figures are just a long line of mess.

A little bit dangerous to be posting these to be honest. Very few people will have the right equipment to measure a golf club for length - therefore what do these figures then mean? Best thing to do is get to a custom fitter, who would more than likely measure your clubs for free. Golf club fitting is not as simple as some people like to make out!

WHAT ' EQUIPMENT ' IS REQUIRED TO MEASURE A GOLF CLUB? YOU DONT NEED AN ACCOUNT WITH GOLFSMITH TO BUY A TAPE MEASURE....PUT THE CLUB IN THE ADDRESS POSITION MAKE SURE THE SOLE IS LEVEL WITH THE FLOOR MEASURE DOWN THE BBACK OF THE GRIP TO THE SOLE...

If that's the way you want to do it, go ahead!!

Like pasty said the only standard is there are no standards. You'll even find variations in different ranges from the same manufacturer

not rocket science  but  companies do measure length  differently ie  -  1 some to raw shaft length only  - the grip cap thickness is then the variable 2  to the very end of the grip end cap 3 to a point between marks on the grip near the end cap ( trying to take the end cap thickness into account) any combination of these will give you a variable length of approx 1/4 ins

Manufacturers have no standard because they want them as long as can be possibly hit well by average players - the longer the length, the greater the distance. And we all know that due to the power of marketing, distance sells golf clubs!

FYI - there are industry standards, but only within the professional clubmaking associations.

Pasty - the correct measure of length is not to the heel end of the sole anyway. The club is placed in a device whereby its measured at a 60 degree lie angle (72 for putters) to the point on the grip cap where the concave part starts.

You will definitely get close with a tape measure but PROFESSIONAL club building is about precision. And you don't get precision with a tape measure.

I stand by what I said originally; most if not all reputable clubmakers would measure a set for free. I worked on a brand new set of Titliest irons this week, guy hadn't even hit them and three clubs were 1/8" wrong. Now you might say, "...its just an 1/8th of an inch". Thats not the point. These were brand new, out of the factory and they were wrong from their published specs.

Can I politely suggest that you get a copy of Tom Wishons book "12 Myths that will wreck your golf game" and have a read of it. Very enlightening.

most club fitters / pros will use what they believe to be the spec should be - this is usually driven by golfsmith training schools / pga courses or by the companies that they align themselves with or where they have been taughtmost if not all  companies have plus /minus tollerances even in custom sets - its down to how they make them - production wisethey use weight plugs to get as close as possible to desired s weight - then skim the butt of the shaft by the tollerance of 1/16  to fine tune the balance have to say that i know the guys at titleist and there specs are allways tight - but many of the companies work on plus minus 1/8th  as standard  - therefore you have the possibility of a 1/4 ins spec difference its also difficult when matching in to a non custom or stock set  - as most people assume these are exact to the spec sheet - when they can be plus or minus too add both these options together and you can be looking at a 1/4 ins overall lenght difference in some cases have to make 1 point regarding length measure - imo the clubs should allways be measured without the grip  not to the grip cap - as some are dome some straight edge - whereas the shaft end is allways the same  - no variable  - thats only from a clubmaking consistency  perspective 1/8th or even 1/4 ins fore many people will not make any difference in playability

nice to see you around again Shaun mate.I trust you are well and the business is prospering??

thanks ossie dont get on much these days been setting up our new factory  for last  6 months  - a 7 day week  - 80 hours plus    not good for playing golf , seeing kids or anything else other than sleeping  lol

I had some cobra s3's fitted at the belfry, 2 out of the 3 custom fit options were not followed. As i have my own workshop i was able to check, the only correct spec was lie!I also at a later date ordered a gap and lob wedge to the same specs,... they came 1/4 inch too long and only 1 was 2 degree flat. I returned them both and they were rectified within a couple of weeks.Having completed the the std and advanced courses at golfsmith this gives me a bit more of an insight. Like others have said, there is no standard in the golf industry,that is something that was drilled into us while I was there.